U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2014, 04:13 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,730,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post

That right there is funny, CookieSoon!
*bows* Thank you, thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 04:21 PM

9,522 posts, read 9,402,418 times
Florida, getting less Southern by the day.

Old 01-09-2014, 06:12 PM

18,635 posts, read 27,042,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
You can say that about any edge Southern state such as Virginia and Texas.

Old 01-11-2014, 04:08 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,141,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitek View Post
I would say Delaware, although southern Delaware is pretty southern.
It's honestly not even that Southern (though it is pretty rural).

Old 01-12-2014, 01:53 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,046,833 times
Florida, hands down. In fact, it's not really even a competition if Florida is included in the OP's definition of the South, IMO.

Old 01-13-2014, 03:25 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,805,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
South Florida may as well be the Northern Boarder of the Caribbean Territory as Guyana(South America) is the Southern boarder of the Caribbean Territory........

Old 01-13-2014, 03:27 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,805,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
You can say that about any edge Southern state such as Virginia and Texas.
Along with Maryland and Delaware being the Upper Edge of the Southern States........

Old 01-13-2014, 07:19 AM

4,100 posts, read 4,730,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
Along with Maryland and Delaware being the Upper Edge of the Southern States........
Will someone PLEASE change the broken record?

Old 01-13-2014, 08:26 AM

774 posts, read 1,695,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
South Florida may as well be the Northern Boarder of the Caribbean Territory as Guyana(South America) is the Southern boarder of the Caribbean Territory........
South Florida definitely has some Carribbean influences to its culture, but I would not say that it qualifies as part of the Carribbean region

Old 01-13-2014, 10:32 PM

10,167 posts, read 17,108,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Will someone PLEASE change the broken record?
LOL That is never going to happen. Don't even bother to argue with this poster $mk8795).

Once in while this person shows up and makes -- as you say -- the claim that anyone who doesn't count Maryland as part of the South "hates Maryland". That is his/her M.O. And it is obvious they revel in the attention it gets them. Most of us have learned that by now, and just ignore the mindless rant about hating the state.

Some years back, I too tried to talk reasonably with the person, but finally gave up as did many others. Certainly Maryland had some noteable Southern ties back in the ante-bellum days, and there are parts of it that still do on the eastern shore. But fact is, even most Marylanders do not consider themselves to live in the South, much less consider themselves Southerners, according to the most extensive regional sociological surveys/studies ever done (a clear majority who considered their state and identification the opposite were the 11 Old Confederate, plus Oklahoma and Kentucky, with West Virginia on the fence).

Definitions of the South vary considerably -- as is obvious from the countless threads and posts and sources on the subject. I happen to firmly believe Texas is essentially a Southern state (and so do most Texans ala' the surveys mentioned above)...but I know too that some disagree...and that is fine. Same can be said of other states bordering the Deep South.

Point is, I don't think those who disagree necessarily "hate Texas", and I would personally be embarrassed to make such an illogical argument to back my case. Hell, I know some "Deep South purists" who even exclude Louisiana from the "true South'! Can you believe it? LOL

But anyway, bottom line is, no one is ever going to be able to talk rationally with this poster, nor get any kind of rational reply/debate/discussion out of them. Ignore them and they will eventually go away...until a few months or so, when they will show back up and play the broken record again!

Last edited by TexasReb; 01-14-2014 at 12:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or