U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2014, 11:37 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,733,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
LOL That is never going to happen. Don't even bother to argue with this poster $mk8795).

Once in while this person shows up and makes -- as you say -- the claim that anyone who doesn't count Maryland as part of the South "hates Maryland". That is his/her M.O. And it is obvious they revel in the attention it gets them. Most of us have learned that by now, and just ignore the mindless rant about hating the state.

Some years back, I too tried to talk reasonably with the person, but finally gave up as did many others. Certainly Maryland had some noteable Southern ties back in the ante-bellum days, and there are parts of it that still do on the eastern shore. But fact is, even most Marylanders do not consider themselves to live in the South, much less consider themselves Southerners, according to the most extensive regional sociological surveys/studies ever done (a clear majority who considered their state and identification the opposite were the 11 Old Confederate, plus Oklahoma and Kentucky, with West Virginia on the fence).

Definitions of the South vary considerably -- as is obvious from the countless threads and posts and sources on the subject. I happen to firmly believe Texas is essentially a Southern state (and so do most Texans ala' the surveys mentioned above)...but I know too that some disagree...and that is fine. Same can be said of other states bordering the Deep South.

Point is, I don't think those who disagree necessarily "hate Texas", and I would personally be embarrassed to make such an illogical argument to back my case. Hell, I know some "Deep South purists" who even exclude Louisiana from the "true South'! LOL

But anyway, bottom line is, no one is ever going to be able to talk rationally with this poster, nor get any kind of rational reply/debate/discussion out of them. Ignore them and they will eventually go away...until a few months or so, when they will show back up and play the broken record again!
I ignored him for a looooong time. But sometimes he gets under my skin.

By the way it's nice to see you again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 01:11 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,806,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Will someone PLEASE change the broken record?
Based off your opinion then Virginia and North Carolina are Northern States too........

Old 01-15-2014, 06:58 AM

2,226 posts, read 3,143,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
Along with Maryland and Delaware being the Upper Edge of the Southern States........
Hey, leave Delaware out of this. You know nothing about Delaware.

Old 01-15-2014, 08:41 AM

4,100 posts, read 4,733,270 times
Quote:
Based off your opinion then Virginia and North Carolina are Northern States too........
My opinion is exactly as I have stated it. That is why it is mine. Not yours, you putz.

Old 01-16-2014, 09:36 AM

770 posts, read 932,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I've lived in the American south most of my life - VA, NC, SC, GA, AL, TN, LA, AR, MD, and now Texas. Texas is very southern - it's just not the DEEP South. There is a big difference - though that difference may not be as apparent to people who are not native Southerners or who haven't actually lived in the various regions of the South (see above - I've lived in the mid-Atlantic region for 8 years, the deep South for 12 years, TN for 2 years, and the "ArkLaTex" region for 26 years so I'd say I'm pretty "fluent" in what's Southern and what's not!).

Though I live in East Texas, I have traveled all over this fine state. The influence of the American South can be felt even in WAAAAAYYYYYYYY south Texas. Fort Worth and Abilene and Wichita Falls and San Angelo definitely feel southern to me, though of course the further west you go, the more you feel the ADDITIONAL influence of the American West, and the further south you go, you will feel the ADDITIONAL influence of Mexico. But this is just MORE flavor added to the Southern flavor.

To me, Virginia is a very southern state, but it has regions that don't feel particularly southern (northeastern VA for example), due to the high numbers of non native residents and the close proximity to DC. Northern Arkansas doesn't feel particularly southern to me, though Arkansas in general definitely does. Florida has areas that don't feel southern to me, but in it's entirety it's definitely a southern state. Oklahoma has a very western feel to it topographically, but the people themselves sound and "act" southern in many ways. Kentucky and West Virginia feel very southern in many areas but definitely differ culturally from, say, Alabama and Mississippi.

In other words, there's southern and then there's the DEEP SOUTH. Both are good, but DEEP SOUTH is a subset of southern in general.

Well said and accurate.

Old 01-18-2014, 12:24 PM

1 posts, read 850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I've lived in the American south most of my life - VA, NC, SC, GA, AL, TN, LA, AR, MD, and now Texas. Texas is very southern - it's just not the DEEP South. There is a big difference - though that difference may not be as apparent to people who are not native Southerners or who haven't actually lived in the various regions of the South (see above - I've lived in the mid-Atlantic region for 8 years, the deep South for 12 years, TN for 2 years, and the "ArkLaTex" region for 26 years so I'd say I'm pretty "fluent" in what's Southern and what's not!).

Though I live in East Texas, I have traveled all over this fine state. The influence of the American South can be felt even in WAAAAAYYYYYYYY south Texas. Fort Worth and Abilene and Wichita Falls and San Angelo definitely feel southern to me, though of course the further west you go, the more you feel the ADDITIONAL influence of the American West, and the further south you go, you will feel the ADDITIONAL influence of Mexico. But this is just MORE flavor added to the Southern flavor.

To me, Virginia is a very southern state, but it has regions that don't feel particularly southern (northeastern VA for example), due to the high numbers of non native residents and the close proximity to DC. Northern Arkansas doesn't feel particularly southern to me, though Arkansas in general definitely does. Florida has areas that don't feel southern to me, but in it's entirety it's definitely a southern state. Oklahoma has a very western feel to it topographically, but the people themselves sound and "act" southern in many ways. Kentucky and West Virginia feel very southern in many areas but definitely differ culturally from, say, Alabama and Mississippi.

In other words, there's southern and then there's the DEEP SOUTH. Both are good, but DEEP SOUTH is a subset of southern in general.
Excellent and accurate post. Also, I think you summed up Oklahoma's Southerness quite well.

Old 01-19-2014, 03:43 PM

41 posts, read 44,579 times
Quote:
No they ain't...

Old 01-19-2014, 04:50 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,346,370 times
Delaware, Maryland, West Virginia, and Missouri if those even count.

Old 01-19-2014, 07:49 PM

2,069 posts, read 2,198,405 times
Maryland, Oklahoma, Texas, and Delaware are the least Southern out of all the states in the census defined "South."

Old 01-20-2014, 08:10 AM

5,412 posts, read 7,706,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
Maryland, Oklahoma, Texas, and Delaware are the least Southern out of all the states in the census defined "South."
Okay. I think, pertaining to the OP's question, that a very strong case could be made for Virginia and Florida (along with the obvious non-Southern states of Maryland/Delaware) because of the excessive transplantation.

For my part, having visited Maryland several times and Delaware once, as an Okie (who lives back in Oklahoma after living over a decade in Texas) I can say with assurance that the Southern tendencies (accents, religious affiliation, food norms, customs and overall feel of the culture) of OK/TX are exponentially greater than Maryland and/or Delaware and Virginia and Florida in the main.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or