U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-22-2014, 12:59 PM
 
1,640 posts, read 2,049,050 times
Reputation: 2543

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
You can't be serious.
Actually, I am.

I'm going to assume you're a poster who makes sweeping generalizations about places based on politics/voting trends then on actual firsthand experiences and the perceptions developed from those experiences after having lived in and/or traveled extensively in those states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-22-2014, 01:17 PM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,633 posts, read 27,060,365 times
Reputation: 9577
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
Actually, I am.

I'm going to assume you're a poster who makes sweeping generalizations about places based on politics/voting trends then on actual firsthand experiences and the perceptions developed from those experiences after having lived in and/or traveled extensively in those states.
I've lived in both Florida and Maryland so your assumption is wrong. I was just in Florida two months ago to visit family and I live just over the border from Maryland. I definitely have first hand experience in both states. You cannot with a straight face tell me Salisbury, Frederick, or the Eastern shore is more Southern in feel than Pensacola, Tallahassee, or even Jacksonville. There are more people in Florida that would identify with being Southern than Maryland. Blacks in Florida pretty much do the same things they do in Georgia, the Carolina's, or Alabama. There is no way MD has more Southern culture than Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2014, 01:40 PM
 
1,640 posts, read 2,049,050 times
Reputation: 2543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I've lived in both Florida and Maryland so your assumption is wrong. I was just in Florida two months ago to visit family and I live just over the border from Maryland. I definitely have first hand experience in both states. You cannot with a straight face tell me Salisbury, Frederick, or the Eastern shore is more Southern in feel than Pensacola, Tallahassee, or even Jacksonville. There are more people in Florida that would identify with being Southern than Maryland. Blacks in Florida pretty much do the same things they do in Georgia, the Carolina's, or Alabama. There is no way MD has more Southern culture than Florida.
Yes, Pensacola, Tallahassee, and Jacksonville may be more Southern in culture than just about anywhere in MD; however, the vast majority people who live in FL don't live in Pensacola, Tallahassee, or Jacksonville, but rather in South and Central FL, both of which are largely devoid of Southern culture. In my experience, most people who live in Southeast or Southwest FL have very limited exposure to parts of FL north of Orlando.

After living in FL and spending a whole lot of time in MD, I personally perceive MD to be slightly more Southern overall than FL. Maybe it's because most people in MD generally seem friendlier and more approachable than people in FL, or maybe it's because native Marylanders talk with a Southern-lite accent. As an aside, most people in FL speak with a Northeastern, Midwestern, or Spanish accent. Oh, yeah--fewer Italian and Jewish people in MD compared to FL, too.

Altogether, MD just has a slightly more alien feel to me than FL. I'm from New England, so YMMV depending on where you're originally from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2014, 04:46 PM
 
50 posts, read 47,569 times
Reputation: 103
Least to most southern:
Northern Virginia
Western Texas
Delaware
South Florida
Maryland
Central Florida
Missouri
North Carolina Triangle
Oklahoma
Kentucky
West Virginia
Eastern Texas
the rest of Virginia
Arkansas
the rest of North Carolina
Tennessee
Northern & Panhandle Florida
Georgia
South Carolina
Louisiana
Alabama
Mississippi

Last edited by LookingtoleaveFL; 01-22-2014 at 05:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2014, 06:07 PM
 
Location: A subtropical paradise
2,069 posts, read 2,199,368 times
Reputation: 1329
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingtoleaveFL View Post
Least to most southern:
Northern Virginia
Western Texas
Delaware
South Florida
Maryland
Central Florida
Missouri
North Carolina Triangle
Oklahoma
Kentucky
West Virginia
Eastern Texas
the rest of Virginia
Arkansas
the rest of North Carolina
Tennessee
Northern & Panhandle Florida
Georgia
South Carolina
Louisiana
Alabama
Mississippi
Good idea to break it down into regions.

Here is what I think:

From most to least southern:
Mississippi
Alabama
South Carolina
Georgia
North Louisiana
Northern Florida (Panhandle)
Arkansas
Tennessee
North Carolina (outside of triangle)
West Virginia
South Louisiana
Virginia (outside the north)
North Carolina Triangle
Central and Southern Florida
Northern Virginia
Maryland and Delaware
Oklahoma and Texas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2014, 10:32 PM
 
8,287 posts, read 11,834,959 times
Reputation: 4948
Do you know what we Floridians call the "panhandle"? Lower Alabama! Except for small towns in "inland" Florida most Floridians aren't very "Southern" in culture to begin with.
The one exception would be African American culture but for some reason I consider that to be a different and distinct culture unto it's own across the South.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2014, 10:36 PM
 
Location: Shaw.
2,226 posts, read 3,144,045 times
Reputation: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
IMO, FL seems even less Southern than MD and DE.
Having lived in both Northern Delaware and South Florida, I think this is just wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2014, 02:42 AM
 
10,167 posts, read 17,115,139 times
Reputation: 5742
Quote:
=Yn0hTnA;33136947]Good idea to break it down into regions.

Here is what I think:

From most to least southern:
Mississippi
Alabama
South Carolina
Georgia
North Louisiana
Northern Florida (Panhandle)
Arkansas
Tennessee
North Carolina (outside of triangle)
West Virginia
South Louisiana
Virginia (outside the north)
North Carolina Triangle
Central and Southern Florida
Northern Virginia
Maryland and Delaware
Oklahoma and Texas
LOL Ynoh?

I have read so many posts of yours and you seem to have an AMAZING capacity to contradict your own previous posts!

Do you HONESTLY believe -- just as starters -- that Maryland and Delaware are "more Southern" -- whatever one means by that as to criteria -- than Texas and Oklahoma? This is just flat out laughable. Unless, of course, you are just trying to get a reaction and attention from someone!

But ok, to be fair? Please state your rationale for this opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2014, 06:42 AM
 
Location: Appalachian New York, Formerly Louisiana
4,099 posts, read 4,735,887 times
Reputation: 5374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
Good idea to break it down into regions.

Here is what I think:

From most to least southern:
Mississippi
Alabama
South Carolina
Georgia
North Louisiana
Northern Florida (Panhandle)
Arkansas
Tennessee
North Carolina (outside of triangle)
West Virginia
South Louisiana
Virginia (outside the north)
North Carolina Triangle
Central and Southern Florida
Northern Virginia
Maryland and Delaware
Oklahoma and Texas
Did you really just put West Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, and NoVa above Texas and Oklahoma?

Have you ever been to TX and OK? Evidently not.

Also What is so "not southern" about South Louisiana exactly? It's not all New Orleans you know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2014, 07:13 PM
 
Location: MD suburbs of DC
607 posts, read 1,092,878 times
Reputation: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingtoleaveFL View Post
Least to most southern:
Northern Virginia
Western Texas
Delaware
South Florida
Maryland
Central Florida
Missouri
North Carolina Triangle
Oklahoma
Kentucky
West Virginia
Eastern Texas
the rest of Virginia
Arkansas
the rest of North Carolina
Tennessee
Northern & Panhandle Florida
Georgia
South Carolina
Louisiana
Alabama
Mississippi
I'd put Delaware and Maryland a little higher, as well as Louisiana (due to New Orleans' unique culture). NoVA imo belongs just below Maryland but above South Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top