Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2014, 05:39 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
INDIANA!? Are you daft?
of course they're southern, ever hear one of them hoosiers talk? fact is, they were outcasts, mountain people that floated to Indiana hanging on to whiskey barrels for dear life down the Ohio River
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2014, 07:10 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,032,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
of course they're southern, ever hear one of them hoosiers talk? fact is, they were outcasts, mountain people that floated to Indiana hanging on to whiskey barrels for dear life down the Ohio River
...and to you that makes them Southern? How offensive.

Old 01-24-2014, 07:13 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,032,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndieIndy View Post
Lol, the ignorance on these forums crack me up, but I sometimes feel sorry for the geographically challenged.
Oh, so this is about geography? If that were the case, people wouldn't be throwing Florida to the Northeast or to Cuba.

Old 01-24-2014, 07:47 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
...and to you that makes them Southern? How offensive.
why do you say Southern is offensive?

Old 01-24-2014, 08:41 PM

607 posts, read 1,372,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
That's NEW ORLEANS.

NOT LOUISIANA.

Have you been to this state outside of New orleans? Are you also one of those people who bases the entirety of New York on NYC and the entirety of California on Los Angeles/San Francisco and the entirety of New England on Connecticut or Boston?

New Orleans is a tiny fraction of Louisiana. It is not even the dominant culture of southeast Louisiana. As soon as you leave the metro area this state changes radically.

If you think the whole state of Louisiana is not southern because of one city, you are, frankly, too uneducated on the subject to make a valid statement.
I'm not saying all of Louisiana is like New Orleans, but it has enough of an impact, in my opinion, to warrant it to be just slightly higher than its current position. Not South Florida high, of course - more like around Tennessee's level. Apologies if my word choice was a bit off.

Old 01-24-2014, 09:49 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,503,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
I have no time to read this book, so all I will say now is that Oklahoma, and Texas are less Southern than Delaware, and Maryland. Oklahoma and Texas didn't have the Pre-Civil war history that Maryland and Delaware had. The third least southern state after Oklahoma and Texas is Florida.

I'm sorry, YnOhTnA, you seem like a nice young fellar.

But if you truly believe the text in bold then you have never been to all four states. OK/TX are much much closer to classic Southern culture while Maryland/Delaware share most affinity with the Northeast. To use your terminology, Maryland/Delaware have a Northeastern "vibe."

Question: Are you are just being contrarian to continue the discussion? Unfortunately it's really hard to add anything to the discourse if you cannot be taken seriously. Something you might like to consider.

Old 01-24-2014, 10:32 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,195,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
I have to agree with the other poster, Florida and Virginia.
I will also agree with that. I would give Virginia the slight edge and Florida is a very close second. NOVA is very close to DC and is not a very southern area any longer.

Old 01-24-2014, 11:04 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,922,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post

I'm sorry, YnOhTnA, you seem like a nice young fellar.

But if you truly believe the text in bold then you have never been to all four states. OK/TX are much much closer to classic Southern culture while Maryland/Delaware share most affinity with the Northeast. To use your terminology, Maryland/Delaware have a Northeastern "vibe."

Question: Are you are just being contrarian to continue the discussion? Unfortunately it's really hard to add anything to the discourse if you cannot be taken seriously. Something you might like to consider.
No, Maryland and Delaware have more of the classic Southern culture than Texas and Oklahoma because the latter two states didn't have the strong antebellum history preceding the Civil War, where as Maryland and Delaware did. Oklahoma was a Native American reservation, while Texas was its own country.

Just look at people like $mk8795, who insisted that Maryland is the south.

Old 01-24-2014, 11:39 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,503,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
No, Maryland and Delaware have more of the classic Southern culture than Texas and Oklahoma because the latter two states didn't have the strong antebellum history preceding the Civil War, where as Maryland and Delaware did. Oklahoma was a Native American reservation, while Texas was its own country.

Just look at people like $mk8795, who insisted that Maryland is the south.
Yeh, you don't want to be linked up with $mk8795.....he's the laughin' stalk of this forum.

(Unless you are $mk8795?............hmmmmmmm?)

Old 01-25-2014, 02:06 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,603,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Yeh, you don't want to be linked up with $mk8795.....he's the laughin' stalk of this forum.

(Unless you are $mk8795?:think:............hmmmmmmm?)
LOL You know something, buddy? The exact SAME thought occurred to me. I wouldn't doubt it a bit. The same type irrationality, the same bizarre reasoning (if one could call it that at all), the same inane, and random putting together of numbers/letters to make a screen name, the same refusal to address direct questions with empirical evidence to counter, the obvious desire to get a rise out of someone for the attention it gets them, etc,?

Well they all make for an extremely good link between the two posters. I am stopping just short of saying the two are one and the same, but certain things seem to fall in place so obvious a blind man couldn't see it.

We regulars all know that the $mk character periodically appears and repeats the same old broken record then, when people catch on and he starts getting ignored? He will disappear for a time.

The next episode in the predicable sequence is for him to reappear after a measured length of time predicated on when more "newbies" come onto the forum and repeat the performance...and so it goes time after time and again.

In a nutshell, if $mk and Ynoh are not one and the same? Then my surmise is that they are probably either brothers or first-cousins!

And? They probably ought to be treated (in terms of response and reply), the same!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.