U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2014, 07:12 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,228,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
I apologize if your post was in response to someone else, but on it's own it just doesn't hold up with all of the typical stereotypes. Too many people envision our culture as historic southern culture rather than modern southern culture, and your comment just brings up many of the stereotypes.

I have no opinion about Delaware, but having been to the beach there it wasn't strikingly different than any beach I've been to across the South.
They're not strikingly different from Cape May or Ocean City either.

And my post was a direct reply and only had to do with that reply. No offense intended.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2014, 07:32 PM

6,610 posts, read 7,159,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
They're not strikingly different from Cape May or Ocean City either.

And my post was a direct reply and only had to do with that reply. No offense intended.
I wasn't offended...and I do see that I took your post out of context.

Old 01-26-2014, 08:32 PM

6,610 posts, read 7,159,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Off topic: Can anybody tell me how to block $mk8795? I can't find a block function.
Click on "My Settings" in the horizontal menu near the top of the page...look at the listing along the left side of the screen and find "Edit Ignore List"...I think it's pretty easy from there.

Old 01-27-2014, 12:14 AM

4,382 posts, read 5,015,424 times
Quote:
Click on "My Settings" in the horizontal menu near the top of the page...look at the listing along the left side of the screen and find "Edit Ignore List"...I think it's pretty easy from there.
Ah yes, thank you.

Old 01-27-2014, 03:35 AM

10,167 posts, read 17,419,768 times
As a preface, I am now more convinced than ever than Yn and $mk, are one and the same. Anyway...

Quote:
=CookieSkoon;33181070]i already told you I've been to many places in Maryland and you refuse to friggin' read my posts. You literally ignore everything anybody tells you. How dare you edit my post to serve your own ends.

He has done this before, CookieSkoon. That is, quoting someone and "editing" what they wrote to serve his own ends. He did it to one of my posts once. PLEASE report this to a Moderator -- as I did. That option is available; just click on the "yield" icon in the very upper right hand corner of your post lay-out, and give the reason.

Quote:
You are a damn moron. Leave me alone you psychopath. Get curb stomped you waste of oxygen.
He won't do that, CS. That is, leave you alone. This is a "game" for him, and any replies only eggs him on to do more. Something akin to how an obscene prank phone caller -- sick bastards -- would keep calling back to those who would lose control and holler back at them.

In this regard, I believe you are right in terms of "psychopathic". They almost "get off" on tormenting others, and feel nothing about it in terms of conscience. Most don't take it to an extreme...but I (IMHO), get the impression that $m, is really -- in real life -- a loser and a geek. Hates himself and the whole world in general. Either that or, a high school or undergrad, just having some cyber fun. OR...perhaps a real professional (like a college professor...and I have seen this before as well), out to take his hostilities out on the rest of the world...and it doesn't matter how others are affected. They are cowards in real life, but brave as hell 1000 miles away...

You asked something earlier about how to put him on "official ignore"? That is a great option but, personally, I have never done it for the reason that such would imply that I dignify his existence at all. MY approach is to just formally IGNORE his posts completely.

Hell, let him rant and rave on. LET him post his silly and sophomoric missives...but everyone else just ignore and talk around him, something like mature adults would carry on an intelligent conversation even though an annoying fly is buzzing around.

To sum it up, my own suggestion/advise, it to NOT officially ignore him, but just not reply at all to his posts. Rather, just laugh at them like you would laugh at a farce comedy show!

Old 01-27-2014, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
As a preface, I am now more convinced than ever than Yn and $mk, are one and the same. Anyway...

He has done this before, CookieSkoon. That is, quoting someone and "editing" what they wrote to serve his own ends. He did it to one of my posts once. PLEASE report this to a Moderator -- as I did. That option is available; just click on the "yield" icon in the very upper right hand corner of your post lay-out, and give the reason.

He won't do that, CS. That is, leave you alone. This is a "game" for him, and any replies only eggs him on to do more. Something akin to how an obscene prank phone caller -- sick bastards -- would keep calling back to those who would lose control and holler back at them.

In this regard, I believe you are right in terms of "psychopathic". They almost "get off" on tormenting others, and feel nothing about it in terms of conscience. Most don't take it to an extreme...but I (IMHO), get the impression that $m, is really -- in real life -- a loser and a geek. Hates himself and the whole world in general. Either that or, a high school or undergrad, just having some cyber fun. OR...perhaps a real professional (like a college professor...and I have seen this before as well), out to take his hostilities out on the rest of the world...and it doesn't matter how others are affected. They are cowards in real life, but brave as hell 1000 miles away...

You asked something earlier about how to put him on "official ignore"? That is a great option but, personally, I have never done it for the reason that such would imply that I dignify his existence at all. MY approach is to just formally IGNORE his posts completely.

Hell, let him rant and rave on. LET him post his silly and sophomoric missives...but everyone else just ignore and talk around him, something like mature adults would carry on an intelligent conversation even though an annoying fly is buzzing around.

To sum it up, my own suggestion/advise, it to NOT officially ignore him, but just not reply at all to his posts. Rather, just laugh at them like you would laugh at a farce comedy show!
Tell ya what, I'll ignore him for now until I can deal with it again. At the moment I need that "you have ignored all posts by $mk8795"; it's so beautiful.

I will report that as well, I wasn't aware it was against the ToS (can't memorize them all lol). So thanks for bringing that to my attention.

You know, I had honestly hoped to reach out to them as a human being.

I wonder if the staff have noticed just how infamous this guy is. When I ignored him there were two other variations on his name.

Old 01-27-2014, 10:32 AM

149 posts, read 84,379 times
North Carolina is not that southern. Miami southern?? Lolololo. Only east Texas is southern. Some refer to it as west Arkansas. Texas is southern its Texas.

1) Texas
2) Florida
3) North Carolina

I've never considered Virginia to be in the south....

Old 01-27-2014, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradiseme View Post
North Carolina is not that southern. Miami southern?? Lolololo. Only east Texas is southern. Some refer to it as west Arkansas. Texas is southern its Texas.

1) Texas
2) Florida
3) North Carolina

Good news, at it's bare geographical definition, Virginia is above the Missouri Compromise line (The REAL defining border). Meaning it isn't southern by pure geography.

Bad news, Virginia and Kentucky both exhibit a lot of southern culture, and are historically tied to the south. Virginia was the capitol of the Confederacy. By culture, and more importantly, civil war era history, Virginia is southern.

Old 01-27-2014, 04:55 PM

607 posts, read 1,126,414 times
Quote:
So because these places are near the regional border and not as traditionally southern as other areas in the South they are somehow lost as part of our region? I don't think so...DE/MD/NOVA are also affiliated with the South. NOVA is part of southern state and therefore is included as part of the South. End of story. Northern transplants don't subtract an area from our region...it they did, Raleigh would be considered part of the Northeast much as North Atlanta would.

Same with South Florida - it may not be as traditionally southern as some other areas but you can easily find traditional southern culture in South Florida. What other region has people do adamantly claiming to be part of another like the South? It's mostly some antiquated negative perception that people still associate with us so they would argue until the end of time that they aren't southern.

You can have MD and DE...I really don't care and they are very mixed culturally. But you can't just break off part of VA, which is a solid southern state, and claim that it isn't southern anymore. The South has changed and modernized throughout the region, so what is "southern" has evolved over the past few decades.
Maryland, Delaware, and NoVA are all also economically associated with the Mid-Atlantic or Northeast, which is in part due to their geographic location. I never said I considered Virginia as a whole to be not Southern, but NoVA is definitely heavily influenced by the Mid-Atlantic/Northeast area - at least in the counties bordering MD or DC.

Old 01-27-2014, 10:35 PM

31,267 posts, read 28,985,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradiseme View Post

1) Texas
2) Florida
3) North Carolina

North Carolina is quite Southern; so is Virginia, although NOVA dilutes things a bit from a cultural perspective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or