U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2014, 06:04 AM

88 posts, read 103,916 times

Advertisements

Alabama = 100 percent southern.

Arkansas = 90 percent southern.

Florida = 30 percent southern. Central & South Florida is a cesspool full of northerners, immigrants, and snowbirds. Florida panhandle is southern.

Georgia = 80 percent southern. Atlanta metro area is the most popular destination for newcomers to relocate from the northeast, midwest, and west coast. Atlanta should be nicknamed "Los Angeles of the south".

Kentucky = 70 percent southern. It was a border state during the civil war but still to this day Kentucky natives are proud of the southern culture. Louisville metro area and northern counties outside Cincinnati lean toward midwest culturally. Gotta love bluegrass music & Kentucky natives crazy about college basketball.

Louisiana = 90 percent southern.

Maryland = 30 percent southern. Do they serve sweet tea there? It was a border state during civil war and you can find southern culture in the lower eastern shore ya'll. Marylanders are ashamed to consider their state southern but its part of the mid atlantic aka northeast.

Mississippi = 100 percent southern.

Missouri = 20 percent southern. The counties near the Arkansas, Tennessee, & Kentucky border is southern but the rest of the state is midwestern. I dont get how the Mizzou Tigers join the Southeastern Conference.

North Carolina = 70 percent southern. The cities metro areas in the state is currently having a influx of northern invasion. By the year 2020, the tar heel state will become the mid atlantic state.

Oklahoma = 50 percent southern. Mixture of great plains and southern culture.

South Carolina = 90 percent southern.

Tennessee = 100 percent southern. Gotta love country music ya'll.

Texas = 50 percent southern. Lean toward southwestern in my opinion plus the state currently have the fastest growing hispanic population. East Texas is southern.

Virginia = 50 percent southern. North of I-64 experiencing northerner invasion and south of I-64 is southern. Virginia is a confusing state. One day its the south, the next day its mid atlantic. Even though Richmond is the confederate capital but the state will lose its southern appeal slowly by the year 2020.

West Virginia = 60 percent southern. My favorite state to visit. The Panhandle is mid atlantic but the rest of the state is either midwestern or southern culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 01:56 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,730,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kranium View Post

Florida = 30 percent southern. Central & South Florida is a cesspool full of northerners, immigrants, and snowbirds. Florida panhandle is southern.

Georgia = 80 percent southern. Atlanta metro area is the most popular destination for newcomers to relocate from the northeast, midwest, and west coast. Atlanta should be nicknamed "Los Angeles of the south".

Kentucky = 70 percent southern. It was a border state during the civil war but still to this day Kentucky natives are proud of the southern culture. Louisville metro area and northern counties outside Cincinnati lean toward midwest culturally. Gotta love bluegrass music & Kentucky natives crazy about college basketball.

Maryland = 30 percent southern. Do they serve sweet tea there? It was a border state during civil war and you can find southern culture in the lower eastern shore ya'll. Marylanders are ashamed to consider their state southern but its part of the mid atlantic aka northeast.

Missouri = 20 percent southern. The counties near the Arkansas, Tennessee, & Kentucky border is southern but the rest of the state is midwestern. I dont get how the Mizzou Tigers join the Southeastern Conference.

North Carolina = 70 percent southern. The cities metro areas in the state is currently having a influx of northern invasion. By the year 2020, the tar heel state will become the mid atlantic state.

Texas = 50 percent southern. Lean toward southwestern in my opinion plus the state currently have the fastest growing hispanic population. East Texas is southern.

Virginia = 50 percent southern. North of I-64 experiencing northerner invasion and south of I-64 is southern. Virginia is a confusing state. One day its the south, the next day its mid atlantic. Even though Richmond is the confederate capital but the state will lose its southern appeal slowly by the year 2020.

West Virginia = 60 percent southern. My favorite state to visit. The Panhandle is mid atlantic but the rest of the state is either midwestern or southern culture.
I don't agree with West Virginia being Midwestern at all. The northern third of the state is more like the western northeast than the Midwest. Eastern Ohio is even more like the northeast in my opinion.

I'd say the rest of the list is pretty accurate. I'd only tweak Maryland to 20 percent.

Also I don't like the term "northern invasion". Seems to forget that this is all one country.

Old 01-28-2014, 02:00 PM

149 posts, read 81,506 times
West Virginia is a lot like Kentucky. Why isn't Kentucky included in the south?

Old 01-28-2014, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
I don't agree with West Virginia being Midwestern at all. The northern third of the state is more like the western northeast than the Midwest. Eastern Ohio is even more like the northeast in my opinion.

I'd say the rest of the list is pretty accurate. I'd only tweak Maryland to 20 percent.

Also I don't like the term "northern invasion". Seems to forget that this is all one country.

Old 01-28-2014, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradiseme View Post
West Virginia is a lot like Kentucky. Why isn't Kentucky included in the south?
The bulk of Kentucky counties is southern except Cincinnati and Louisville metro areas. Eastern Kentucky is similar to West Virginia because its part of appalachia.

Old 01-28-2014, 05:33 PM

113 posts, read 134,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
Delaware
Isn't Delaware considered northeast, or maybe Mid-Atlantic, but definitely not southern.

Old 01-28-2014, 05:34 PM

113 posts, read 134,819 times
I think Florida, because a lot of people move there from all over for retirement or just because it's nicer there. There's Miami, which is bigger then like most southern cities except Atlanta. There's lots of amusement places too in Orlando, so there's tourists a lot.

Old 01-28-2014, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by townrater View Post
Isn't Delaware considered northeast, or maybe Mid-Atlantic, but definitely not southern.
Delaware is southern according to the census bureau. However, it is historically and culturally northern. It was once a part of Pennsylvania. And even the Mason-Dixon line excludes it (the Maryland/Delaware border is also the MD line).

Old 01-28-2014, 06:14 PM

Quote:
hehe Could you imagine a real northern invasion? We'd all be Canadian!

Old 01-28-2014, 10:24 PM

5,412 posts, read 7,704,410 times
Quote:

Yeh, I'm with CookieSkoon, I think this is pretty accurate. I'd make a few slight variations and bump up the percentages on most of 'em as outside of the major cities in most of these states there is an overt Southern culture present:

Alabama = 100%
Mississippi = 100%
South Carolina = 95%
Georgia = 95%
Louisiana = 95%
Tennessee = 95%
North Carolina = 85% (this number will continue to drop most likely due to the Triangle)
Arkansas = 85% (due to less transplantation with the exception of the NW quadrant)
Texas = 80% (transplants/Hispanic culture is moving in, but there are still huge Southern swaths)
Kentucky = 75% (hugs the bottom of the Midwest/Ohio)
Oklahoma = 70% (only due to less transplantation, like Kentucky hugs the bottom of the Midwest/KS)
Virginia = 40% (only due to excessive transplantation)
Florida = 40% (only due to excessive transplantation)
West Virginia = 30% (only due to less transplantation)
Missouri = 20% (the Census has Missouri grouped in the Midwest for the vast majority is Midwestern)
Maryland = 10% (only listed here due to the Census' inclusion)
Delaware = <5% (only listed here due to the Census' inclusion)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or