U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2014, 11:24 PM

120 posts, read 470,613 times

Advertisements

Southern's in the blood people. There is no most or least southern state although the original 11 confederate states should serve as a foundation. It's all about roots. Not only am I from eastern N Carolina all eight of my great grandparents were from eastern N Carolina. Had both sides of my family fight for the south in the civil war.It's more about who you are than where your from although they both come in to play.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 09:57 PM

10,789 posts, read 9,425,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, MD and DE are both considered to be part of the "South" region. And me living in Connecticut, when I travel down to MD or DE it feels much more southern than New England. People just don't understand this, but it's totally true.
MD and DE weren't part of the Confederacy and thus were never southern.

Old 01-29-2014, 10:57 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,735,887 times
Quote:
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, MD and DE are both considered to be part of the "South" region. And me living in Connecticut, when I travel down to MD or DE it feels much more southern than New England. People just don't understand this, but it's totally true.
See, the thing is, nowhere outside of New England feels like New England.

To you western NY and Pennsylvania probably feel southern. Just because it isn't Connecticut doesn't make it Dixie.

Old 01-30-2014, 10:30 AM

10,789 posts, read 9,425,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post

To you western NY and Pennsylvania probably feel southern. Just because it isn't Connecticut doesn't make it Dixie.
Exactly.

To me, growing up in Louisiana, even places like Virginia seem like the northeast. MD and DE seem very yankee to me. It's all relative.

Old 01-30-2014, 06:41 PM

5,412 posts, read 7,708,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post

Right on the money.

Old 01-30-2014, 09:19 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,746,465 times
Quote:

The opinions of people outside the region are very important, like canaries in the mine, they are more sensitve to changes in the atmosphere and, to mix metaphors, they don't have a dog in the fight.

Old 01-30-2014, 09:26 PM

2,069 posts, read 2,199,368 times
Fine, Maryland and Delaware may be the least Southern of the states in the Census defined South, but right after that is Texas and Oklahoma.

Old 01-31-2014, 03:33 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,596,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
Fine, Maryland and Delaware may be the least Southern of the states in the Census defined South, but right after that is Texas and Oklahoma.
Not at all. Also, Florida and Virginia have less of the traditional southern traits than Texas.

Old 01-31-2014, 05:46 AM

18,633 posts, read 27,060,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
Not at all. Also, Florida and Virginia have less of the traditional southern traits than Texas.
Florida maybe. Virginia doesn't.

Old 01-31-2014, 01:10 PM

607 posts, read 1,092,878 times
Imo, the ranking of non-southernness to southern goes:

Delaware (would not consider Southern in the slightest)
Maryland + DC metro area (some Southern influence but generally not Southern)
Florida (South + Central Florida have their own unique culture, not Northern per se but certainly not Southern)
West Virginia (upper 1/3 is not Southern, middle 1/3 is transitional leaning Southern and lower 1/3 is Southern without a doubt)
Oklahoma (Midwestern influences present in upper + central part of state, Southwestern influences in far western part)
Kentucky (Cincinnati area might as well be part of the Midwest, rest is solidly Southern although Louisville has a few Midwestern influences)

and Texas is somewhere around Tennessee's level - the only thing not Southern about it is West Texas (mainly the El Paso region) which accounts for only a small amount of the population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or