U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2014, 05:56 PM

2,069 posts, read 2,199,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Some people are experts on everything. LOL!

I'm not sure why it would be such a passionate argument for someone that has only visited Texas.
Because any human being with even the slightest iota of logic and common sense would know that Texas is obviously not the Deep South. Think!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2014, 06:01 PM

29,943 posts, read 27,375,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
Because any human being with even the slightest iota of logic and common sense would know that Texas is obviously not the Deep South. Think!
As you said, the Deep South is more of a cultural region. It includes some states in totality, and some states partially. Texas falls in the latter category, as does NC (eastern NC), FL (north FL), and TN (western TN).

But it's interesting that you seem so passionate about it, not being from Texas or living there.

Old 02-01-2014, 06:03 PM

6,611 posts, read 6,927,632 times
Quote:
There are plenty of Texans who feel differently...as a guest expert you should know that as well.

Old 02-01-2014, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
As you said, the Deep South is more of a cultural region. It includes some states in totality, and some states partially. Texas falls in the latter category, as does NC (eastern NC), FL (north FL), and TN (western TN).

But it's interesting that you seem so passionate about it, not being from Texas or living there.
Yeah what's that about? It all seems a little fishy.

Old 02-01-2014, 07:17 PM

28,266 posts, read 26,242,183 times
If there are any people in your city or state who refer to themselves as "Boyz," then you're from the Deep South. That includes Dem Franchise Boyz, Hot Boyz, Lil' Jon and the East Side Boyz, Geto Boyz, etc. Also, if any of these rappers/labels are from your state, you might live in the Deep/Dirty South

Rich Boy (Alabama)
Plies (Florida)
TRU (New Orleans)
Swishahouse (Texas)
Miracle (Georgia)
Mia X (Louisiana)
Gucci Mane (Alabama)
UGK (Texas)
Project Pat (Tennessee)
Pastor Troy (Georgia)
Silkk Da Shocker (Louisiana)
Eightball & MJG (Tennessee)
Drama (Georgia)
404 Soldierz (Georgia)
Three Six Mafia (Tennessee)
Rasheeda (Georgia)
Jim Crow (Georgia)
Kilo Ali (Georgia)
So So Def Bass All Stars (Georgia)
Huey (Missouri)
Lil' Boosie (Louisiana)
Hurricane Chris (Louisiana)
Master P (Louisiana)
Mystikal (Louisiana)
Lil' Webbie (Louisiana)
David Banner (Mississippi)
Soldja Boy Tell 'Em (Georgia/Mississippi)

That's the core of the Dirty, Dirty imo. It's the states that get me the most shout outs at Dirty South parties.

Old 02-01-2014, 07:28 PM

Heavy D and the Boyz kinda ruins your theory tho.

Old 02-01-2014, 07:33 PM

320 posts, read 473,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
If there are any people in your city or state who refer to themselves as "Boyz," then you're from the Deep South. That includes Dem Franchise Boyz, Hot Boyz, Lil' Jon and the East Side Boyz, Geto Boyz, etc. Also, if any of these rappers/labels are from your state, you might live in the Deep/Dirty South

Rich Boy (Alabama)
Plies (Florida)
TRU (New Orleans)
Swishahouse (Texas)
Miracle (Georgia)I
Mia X (Louisiana)
Gucci Mane (Alabama)
UGK (Texas)
Project Pat (Tennessee)
Pastor Troy (Georgia)
Silkk Da Shocker (Louisiana)
Eightball & MJG (Tennessee)
Drama (Georgia)
404 Soldierz (Georgia)
Three Six Mafia (Tennessee)
Rasheeda (Georgia)
Jim Crow (Georgia)
Kilo Ali (Georgia)
So So Def Bass All Stars (Georgia)
Huey (Missouri)
Lil' Boosie (Louisiana)
Hurricane Chris (Louisiana)
Master P (Louisiana)
Mystikal (Louisiana)
Lil' Webbie (Louisiana)
David Banner (Mississippi)
Soldja Boy Tell 'Em (Georgia/Mississippi)

That's the core of the Dirty, Dirty imo. It's the states that get me the most shout outs at Dirty South parties.
That's just the hip hop trend of the last decade. I'm from the south and I'm amazed that its gotten this much attention. Years ago when I lived outside the south it wasn't "cool" to be from the south. Especially the deep south. Now it's a trend.

Last edited by SawBoi; 02-01-2014 at 08:16 PM..

Old 02-01-2014, 07:36 PM

28,266 posts, read 26,242,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Heavy D and the Boyz kinda ruins your theory tho.
Lol. True.

Old 02-02-2014, 12:03 AM

4,099 posts, read 4,735,887 times
Quote:
I think you are both rude and wrong. Texas is right next door to Louisiana. In fact, it goes further south. It hugs Mexico, which is the southern border of the US. It was settled by southerners from the deep south. It still holds many cultural ties to it's eastern neighbors. Ergo, Texas is in the deep south.

Just because it has Mexican influence and unique scenery does not make it less southern. I dare you to go out to Texas and call them Yankees. DARE you.

Old 02-02-2014, 12:27 AM

114 posts, read 139,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Well, Virginia was one of the oldest colonies and also a major player in the slave trade. I don't know why they have that view, but some do.

I'm not so sure if any of these places are "less" southern or just "different" southern. I recall reading a quote that went something like "There's the South of Episcopalians, horses and whiskey and the South of fields and mules." Virginia, to me, is very much a southern state, but they've always viewed themselves as the "educated" southerners in the manner of Thomas Jefferson. That's why I suppose they have the "Cavalier" as their mascot as opposed to a "Rebel" or "Bulldog."

Charlottesville, VA and Starkville, MS are both southern. Just two different types of southern.

Charlottesville, VA might as well be Princeton NJ these days... it is anything but southern!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or