U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2014, 01:30 AM

18,650 posts, read 27,087,224 times

Advertisements

I'm from Texas. I only consider East Texas, as Deep South. But the vast majority of the state is not Deep South culturally. Still a Southern state though. Also, I would say Texas had as many settlers from the Upper and mid South if not more each than the lower( Deep South). This is just me though.Austin would hardly remind anyone that they are in the Deep South and there's 500 plus miles more of Texas to the west of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2014, 01:50 AM

18,650 posts, read 27,087,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
That's interesting; you're MUCH more likely to hear the reverse. How can they think the Carolinas aren't part of the "true South" when they were among the original colonies and early players in the slave trade, especially SC?
There are Texans that think Virginia and North Carolina isn't Southern. Likewise, there are Virginians and North Carolinians, as well as many in Southeast that refuses to include Texas in the South as well. The region is very vast and dominant. Most of Texas is Southern but Yn is right on some parts. South Texas mainly Laredo to Corpus and points South are about as Southern as Haines Junction, Yukon. El Paso throughout most of its history is even far removed from the South than Deep South Texas. Then you have The northern panhandle of Texas which is more like Grand Island, Nebraska then it's like other places within in the state. Texas is Southern but it's a transition state. Like Virginia.

Btw Bajan, your posts not only describes North Florida, but South Florid as well. If Texas is Deep South, then so is Florida. Also, Geto Boyz never spelled the name that way. It was always boys.

Old 02-02-2014, 08:19 AM

28,269 posts, read 26,273,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_Wood View Post
Charlottesville, VA might as well be Princeton NJ these days... it is anything but southern!
Haha. That's a good laugh. Charlottesville is southern. It's "high southern" to be exact. When you dress up for football games (with seersucker, bowtie and the Ray-Bans), drink mint juleps and bourbon, and pump Matchbox 20 in the parking lot, then it's southern. They don't do that in Princeton.

http://themuseinwoodenshoes.com/wp-c...a-football.png

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4015/...9455f409_m.jpg

http://www.thenorthendzone.com/image...douchebags.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-nyYq1oj-rQ...0/IMG_6262.JPG

UVA alumni sing The Good Ol Song at the USC tailgate (Second Rendition) - YouTube

Old 02-02-2014, 06:31 PM

12 posts, read 13,691 times
In order:
Virginia
Florida
Missouri
Maryland
Delaware

Old 02-02-2014, 06:34 PM

6,611 posts, read 6,935,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Haha. That's a good laugh. Charlottesville is southern. It's "high southern" to be exact. When you dress up for football games (with seersucker, bowtie and the Ray-Bans), drink mint juleps and bourbon, and pump Matchbox 20 in the parking lot, then it's southern. They don't do that in Princeton.

Charlottesville is quintessentially southern. I can't believe anyone would say otherwise!

Old 02-02-2014, 06:44 PM

2,069 posts, read 2,202,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
I think you are both rude and wrong. Texas is right next door to Louisiana. In fact, it goes further south. It hugs Mexico, which is the southern border of the US. It was settled by southerners from the deep south. It still holds many cultural ties to it's eastern neighbors. Ergo, Texas is in the deep south.

Just because it has Mexican influence and unique scenery does not make it less southern. I dare you to go out to Texas and call them Yankees. DARE you.
Yes, its only the deep eastern parts of Texas (east of the Trinity River) that can be considered to be part of the Deep South. Anything west is the Western South. Yes, Texas stretches far south; that allows it to be the only Southern state with an international border, causing the cultures to readily mix in Texas compared to other Southern states. Yes, it was settled by Southerners not only from the Deep South, but also from the Upper South; and those southerners then met up with the Germans, and then the established Mexican culture, causing for a great mixing of cultures into what is Texan. All the people looked out west, and gained frontier ideals. So yes, Texas is in the south.... but in the Western South.

Texans are Americans, and people from outside the US refer to ALL Americans as "Yankees;" Therefore, Texans are "Yankees."

Texas and Oklahoma are the least Southern of the Southern states outside of Maryland and Delaware.

Old 02-02-2014, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
Yes, its only the deep eastern parts of Texas (east of the Trinity River) that can be considered to be part of the Deep South. Anything west is the Western South. Yes, Texas stretches far south; that allows it to be the only Southern state with an international border, causing the cultures to readily mix in Texas compared to other Southern states. Yes, it was settled by Southerners not only from the Deep South, but also from the Upper South; and those southerners then met up with the Germans, and then the established Mexican culture, causing for a great mixing of cultures into what is Texan. All the people looked out west, and gained frontier ideals. So yes, Texas is in the south.... but in the Western South.

Texans are Americans, and people from outside the US refer to ALL Americans as "Yankees;" Therefore, Texans are "Yankees."

Texas and Oklahoma are the least Southern of the Southern states outside of Maryland and Delaware.
Why do you think you can say this with such authority? It's all just an opinion. Yours is not more correct than anyone else's. Good God it's just a region, not a separate county. I've never seen such stubborn and angry comments over anything like I have the "southern" debate on this site. Is it really that important?

Old 02-02-2014, 07:10 PM

2,069 posts, read 2,202,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Why do you think you can say this with such authority? It's all just an opinion. Yours is not more correct than anyone else's. Good God it's just a region, not a separate county. I've never seen such stubborn and angry comments over anything like I have the "southern" debate on this site. Is it really that important?
I am just simply stating a fact.

Old 02-02-2014, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
I am just simply stating a fact.
No, you're simply stating your opinion. Opinion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-02-2014, 08:14 PM

6,885 posts, read 6,207,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
There are plenty of Texans who feel differently...as a guest expert you should know that as well.
As somebody who is an unbiased Okie who drives all over Western Texas. (This week. Midland to Abilene to Austin to Ft Stockton). Anthony is right in that eastern Texas would be the only part of Texas that would be the "deep south". The area roughly east of what is now I-35 was really the only area that had much settlement prior to the civil war. Even that area has been hugely influenced the the explosion of the urban areas of Houston which have de-deepsouthafied the area somewhat. West of I-35 the landscape becomes more arid and the area becomes more ranch oriented and you see more of the cowboy culture. As you continue to go further west the area becomes more arid and desert looking. This area is southwestern looking but was settled by Texans who moved further west after the civil war. There is also significantly less black population west of I-35 and traditionally more hispanic culture in the rio grande valley all the way to El Paso. Furthermore, central Texas is full of people of German descent which really doesn't exist in the south. The panhandle while much more "southern" than the rest of the high plains shares little in common with the deep south other than when the area was settled after the civil war, a bunch of counties were named after confederate war heros.

The fact that west Texas was essentially unsettled during the civil war, shares very little with even east Texas in terms of climate and topography disqualifies it from being "the deep south". I think it is hard for people who haven't been here to realize how vast this state is and how much it changes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or