U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2014, 05:48 AM

683 posts, read 734,565 times

Advertisements

Maryland we get inches of snow and don't go into a huge panic over an inch. Our cities resembles the northeast. Also, a lot of influence is mixed from the north and south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2014, 10:30 AM

45,027 posts, read 36,268,604 times
I have spent most of my life living in the South - the Deep South in particular. I've lived in Georgia, Alabama, Louisiana, NC, SC, VA, TN, AR and now Texas. So basically the only southern states I HAVEN'T live in are MS and FL and I've spent plenty of time in those as well.

Texas is not "deep south" but it is DEFINITELY southern.

Old 02-16-2014, 12:30 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,809,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northernest Southernest C View Post
Maryland we get inches of snow and don't go into a huge panic over an inch. Our cities resembles the northeast. Also, a lot of influence is mixed from the north and south.
Virginia is the same way however both Maryland and Virginia is in the South...

Old 02-16-2014, 01:45 PM

10,167 posts, read 17,127,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I have spent most of my life living in the South - the Deep South in particular. I've lived in Georgia, Alabama, Louisiana, NC, SC, VA, TN, AR and now Texas. So basically the only southern states I HAVEN'T live in are MS and FL and I've spent plenty of time in those as well.

It won't let me rep you again, KathyA, so consider it done here!

Old 02-16-2014, 03:47 PM

29,948 posts, read 27,432,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
Virginia is southern, but not to the same degree as other southern states. Nowhere else in the South is a ban against gay marriage being challenged.
You have to do a better job of keeping up; things are changing fast on this front.

Gay marriage coming to the South? Kentucky ruling chips away at ban - latimes.com

Old 02-16-2014, 09:01 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,650,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

Why do you say that? Is it the hispanics and other transplants making it less so? If so Atlanta is the same .Lots of transplants in Atlanta.

And like the other thread the south east part of Texas feel more southern.Where the west part of Texas and north part of Texas more mid west feel.

Old 02-16-2014, 09:17 PM

10,167 posts, read 17,127,079 times
Quote:
=sweat209;33504995] And like the other thread the south east part of Texas feel more southern. Where the west part of Texas and north part of Texas more mid west feel.
Fair enough. So what do -- other than the superficial physical terrain -- no different than Tennessee has more akin with southern Illinois, Indiana, etc, -- does north and west Texas have in common historically/culturally with Kansas and Nebraska, than with Tennessee and Arkansas, or even Mississippi?

Old 02-17-2014, 04:02 PM

15,067 posts, read 4,808,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
You have to do a better job of keeping up; things are changing fast on this front.

Gay marriage coming to the South? Kentucky ruling chips away at ban - latimes.com
In that same article it said 74% of Kentucky residents had voted for a gay marriage ban in 2004. Glad to hear change may be on the way soon anyways. I never claimed to be able to keep up with every news snippet from the South or any other region. I just share my opinion as I get the information.

Nonetheless, thanks for sharing this!

Old 02-17-2014, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
It won't let me rep you again, KathyA, so consider it done here!
Back atcha!

Old 02-17-2014, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweat209 View Post
Why do you say that? Is it the hispanics and other transplants making it less so? If so Atlanta is the same .Lots of transplants in Atlanta.

And like the other thread the south east part of Texas feel more southern.Where the west part of Texas and north part of Texas more mid west feel.
No one element is "making Texas less southern." And it's not "less southern" just because it's not "deep South." It's still southern as heck - just not mint juleps on the veranda southern. It's a Texas sort of southern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or