U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2014, 01:27 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,688,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
No one element is "making Texas less southern." And it's not "less southern" just because it's not "deep South." It's still southern as heck - just not mint juleps on the veranda southern. It's a Texas sort of southern.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamtonfordbury View Post
Missouri or Maryland. They are so un-southern that some residents will deny that they ever had a historical relation with the South. (Ironically, both of their main universities are now in southern conferences)
You need to describe the difference between the deep south vs southern? And what you mean by the deep south vs southern culture. Why? Well because if you put a 100 people in room each one wil give you a different answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 09:22 AM

18,837 posts, read 27,724,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamtonfordbury View Post
Missouri or Maryland. They are so un-southern that some residents will deny that they ever had a historical relation with the South. (Ironically, both of their main universities are now in southern conferences)
Maryland is headed for the Big 10 after this year and Missouri shouldn't be in the SEC to begin with.

Old 02-19-2014, 08:17 PM

10,167 posts, read 17,401,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Maryland is headed for the Big 10 after this year and Missouri shouldn't be in the SEC to begin with.
Agreed, Spade...and I seriously doubt they will stay much longer, anyway...

Nothing against Missouri in the least, but just they totally seem odd-man-out as fitting in to the SEC. Sure, I know a case could be made against Texas A&M belonging...BUT, Texas college football is absolutely of the same character as our southeastern cousins.

Old 02-19-2014, 08:37 PM

2,095 posts, read 2,991,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post

Nothing against Missouri in the least, but just they totally seem odd-man-out as fitting in to the SEC. Sure, I know a case could be made against Texas A&M belonging...BUT, Texas college football is absolutely of the same character as our southeastern cousins.
Oh well. The parts of the state that are southern culturally don't support Mizzou as much as some would like to believe. I'm an Arkansas fan myself. I could never get into Mizzou football.

Old 02-19-2014, 09:51 PM

31,118 posts, read 28,869,878 times
Quote:

Ummm...didn't Mizzou make it to the SEC championship? I don't know the history of their football program, but if it hasn't historically been up to Southern standards, it surely looks like they've made up a lot of ground pretty fast. We'll see what the future holds though. And either Mizzou or WV (most likely) had to come over to the SEC to balance things out since Texas A&M wanted to come over.

Old 02-24-2014, 09:48 PM

2,825 posts, read 3,404,600 times
Quote:
Concerning the above (especially the bolded parts)? To say "Texas just isn't very Southern"? Well, this assertion needs to be qualified with at least some criteria of what you mean by "Southern"...?

If you mean that most of Texas is not "Southeastern" or "Old South" in the moonlight and magnolia sense? Then you would be right (except for East Texas).

On the other hand? If you make such a "blanket statement" as that "Texas just isn't very Southern at all"? Then I would think you would feel some kinda sense of obligation to give a list of just what characteristics make a state "Southern" or not...?

Don't you agree?

And by the way -- and I promise I am not being sarcastic in the least. I know some from the Deep South who don't consider North Carolina "truly Southern." Point -- at least on this point? -- is that anyone from a "peripheral" Southern state needs to be mighty damn careful when they take the position they are on "safe" ground in putting their own "Southernness" ahead of others...unless they can spell out the particulars...

In this case? What makes North Carolina more Southern than Texas? Keep in mind, I do believe NC is Southern. I am just wanting to know why you might feel different from the opposite direction...?
Texas isn't "old south." I agree East Texas is more "southern" than the rest of the state but I'm comparing the state with the Southeast. For example, images of the antebellum south with plantations, Confederate heritage, etc. I'm sure you can find these types of influences in some areas of Texas, but overall, Texas has much more of a "western" feel. I'm just saying, when you think of Texas you tend to think of cowboys, ranches, John Wayne westerns, oil, the Dallas Cowboys, and all that good stuff. You don't find these aspects in Southeastern States like Georgia, the Carolina's, Alabama, etc. That's funny some people in the Deep South don't consider NC to be "truly southern", guess they've never been or haven't traveled around it deeply. NC is like Tennessee and Virginia, we are "upper south." We are definitely still southern, but not as southern as the "deep south" states of South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, and some areas of northern Florida. What makes NC more "southern" than Texas? When people think of the south, NASCAR and moonshine are a few of the aspects that come to mind. NC is the birthplace of both, Charlotte is the NASCAR capital of the nation. We are also famous for our Pork BBQ and the very "southern" fast food chain of Bojangles. Despite seceding after Fort Sumter (like the rest of the "upper south" states) NC provided the most soldiers to the Confederacy and suffered the most casualties. You still see a lot of Confederate monuments in our state, the nickname "Tar Heel" ties back to the NC Confederate soldiers. Also, we had and you can still find "Gone With The Wind" style antebellum plantations along our coast. Believe me, I love Texas and I'm not trying to show any disrespect, but states such as NC are just more "southern" in the way the rest of America thinks as "southern." The same applies to the States bordering NC (South Carolina, Virginia, Tennessee, and Georgia)

Old 02-24-2014, 09:50 PM

27 posts, read 26,259 times
Probably Florida, followed by Virginia.

Old 02-24-2014, 11:26 PM

18,837 posts, read 27,724,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Ummm...didn't Mizzou make it to the SEC championship? I don't know the history of their football program, but if it hasn't historically been up to Southern standards, it surely looks like they've made up a lot of ground pretty fast. We'll see what the future holds though. And either Mizzou or WV (most likely) had to come over to the SEC to balance things out since Texas A&M wanted to come over.
West Virginia sports is like the state. Nobody wants them. The ACC nor the SEC wanted them. Even though the geographically fit. Especially with the ACC. It sucks because WVU has a solid sports program. The state as well. We don't know if its a Southern state or a Midwestern state. Personally, I consider it Southern.

Old 02-25-2014, 04:17 AM

4 posts, read 3,232 times
Florida?

Old 02-25-2014, 06:46 AM

7,753 posts, read 6,668,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Texas isn't "old south." I agree East Texas is more "southern" than the rest of the state but I'm comparing the state with the Southeast. For example, images of the antebellum south with plantations, Confederate heritage, etc. I'm sure you can find these types of influences in some areas of Texas, but overall, Texas has much more of a "western" feel. I'm just saying, when you think of Texas you tend to think of cowboys, ranches, John Wayne westerns, oil, the Dallas Cowboys, and all that good stuff. You don't find these aspects in Southeastern States like Georgia, the Carolina's, Alabama, etc. That's funny some people in the Deep South don't consider NC to be "truly southern", guess they've never been or haven't traveled around it deeply. NC is like Tennessee and Virginia, we are "upper south." We are definitely still southern, but not as southern as the "deep south" states of South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, and some areas of northern Florida. What makes NC more "southern" than Texas? When people think of the south, NASCAR and moonshine are a few of the aspects that come to mind. NC is the birthplace of both, Charlotte is the NASCAR capital of the nation. We are also famous for our Pork BBQ and the very "southern" fast food chain of Bojangles. Despite seceding after Fort Sumter (like the rest of the "upper south" states) NC provided the most soldiers to the Confederacy and suffered the most casualties. You still see a lot of Confederate monuments in our state, the nickname "Tar Heel" ties back to the NC Confederate soldiers. Also, we had and you can still find "Gone With The Wind" style antebellum plantations along our coast. Believe me, I love Texas and I'm not trying to show any disrespect, but states such as NC are just more "southern" in the way the rest of America thinks as "southern." The same applies to the States bordering NC (South Carolina, Virginia, Tennessee, and Georgia)
Very much enjoyed this post and the rationale behind it. Texas was certainly much more in a frontier and pioneering stage when states in the south were pretty genteel. However, as TexReb has pointed out. The folks who CAME to Texas to pioneer were from southern stock. As a result, they brought their southern ways with them.

However, the "Republic" of Texas really only officially included east and central Texas while west Texas was still under dispute with Mexico and much of it was still under the control of Indian tribes up to through and after the War. This part of Texas was settled by the east Texans who moved there after the war. Because the climate and terrain were different than east Texas, settlement patterns were somewhat different than east Texas and were highly influenced by the railroad. Ultimately, for cattle raising, spreads had to be very large because of the number of acres required per head was so high. Thus the large ranches. Much of the land could not be cultivated until later decades when irrigation technology was developed.

Many peoples' perception of Texas is that of west Texas which is certainly not like the rest of the south but was settled by people of southern heritage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or