U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2014, 07:41 AM

2,082 posts, read 2,902,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
West Virginia sports is like the state. Nobody wants them. The ACC nor the SEC wanted them. Even though the geographically fit. Especially with the ACC. It sucks because WVU has a solid sports program. The state as well. We don't know if its a Southern state or a Midwestern state. Personally, I consider it Southern.
So how is WVU a geographic fit for the SEC but Mizzou isn't? That makes absolutely no sense at all. If you believe that then you also must think that Arkansas and Texas A&M are bad fits as well since they are just as far, if not farther away from the centroid of the SEC teams than Mizzou is.

I agree that Mizzou isn't a cultural fit for the SEC, but geographically it fits a hell of a lot better than WVU. Missouri isn't southern as a whole, but the entire state isn't homogenous. Where I grew up in Southeast Missouri was southern in every way, it just happened to lie in a state that is considered midwestern. Don't trick yourself into thinking that everyone in a state supports their flagship university.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 08:51 AM

2,825 posts, read 3,273,308 times
Bringing college sports into this, North Carolina and Virginia are the only Southern states without an SEC team. Both of those states are BIG TIME ACC country. Florida, Georgia, and South Carolina have both SEC and ACC teams but that's not the case with NC and VA. If people think that unless the state has an SEC team it isn't "southern" well look at Texas, Missouri, and Kentucky. NC and VA are more southern than those 3 states and those states all have an SEC team. The same applies to Arkansas and Tennessee. NC is definitely more southern than Arkansas and is about equal to Tennessee, geographically and culturally. When it comes to the ACC, all ACC schools besides Maryland were in the south for about 50 years before they started to add northern schools. Hell, the oldest college rivalry in the south is North Carolina vs. Virginia. Today, the two big southern rivalries is Alabama vs. Auburn for college football and North Carolina vs. Duke for college basketball.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:17 AM

14,151 posts, read 19,778,608 times
Texas just got a SEC team, same with Missouri. Arkansas is just as southern as North Carolina, especially considering all the growth NC is getting from up north. Arkansas doesn't have that, it's extremely southern.
A rivalry is a good SEC team versus a good SEC team, which is normally any SEC game.

Old 02-25-2014, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Bringing college sports into this, North Carolina and Virginia are the only Southern states without an SEC team. Both of those states are BIG TIME ACC country. Florida, Georgia, and South Carolina have both SEC and ACC teams but that's not the case with NC and VA. If people think that unless the state has an SEC team it isn't "southern" well look at Texas, Missouri, and Kentucky. NC and VA are more southern than those 3 states and those states all have an SEC team. The same applies to Arkansas and Tennessee. NC is definitely more southern than Arkansas and is about equal to Tennessee, geographically and culturally. When it comes to the ACC, all ACC schools besides Maryland were in the south for about 50 years before they started to add northern schools. Hell, the oldest college rivalry in the south is North Carolina vs. Virginia. Today, the two big southern rivalries is Alabama vs. Auburn for college football and North Carolina vs. Duke for college basketball.
I agree for the most part, but I don't know how you can say NC is definitely more southern than Arkansas. The only part of Arkansas that isn't completely southern is the Northwest corner, and even it is more southern than midwestern. Both Arkansas and North Carolina have a certain part of the state with a ton of transplants from other parts of the country.

I think they are about even myself.

Old 02-25-2014, 05:09 PM

320 posts, read 474,299 times
Quote:

Part of Arkansas is actually in the Mississippi Delta. Most people don't know because they think the whole state is upper south.

Old 02-25-2014, 06:36 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I always thought Arkansas wasn't too "southern" due to it bordering Missouri, Oklahoma, and a little bit of Texas. Since Arkansas borders these states, it also contains a "western" and mid-western influence as well. It's definitely still a southern state but NC is a little more southern in the way the nation thinks as "southern." NC is more Southeast, a bit more similar to states like Georgia, Tennessee, South Carolina, etc. No matter how many transplants come down here, it will always be southern. There are plenty of transplants in Georgia and look at that state. Plus, the transplants don't move to the rural areas of the state and these areas are obviously more southern than our urban areas. However, that's a good point that some of the delta is in Arkansas. That area must be the most "southern" area of Arkansas, a bit like Eastern NC.

Old 02-25-2014, 07:05 PM

Overall, it all goes back to the Confederate States. North Carolina, Arkansas, Tennessee, and Virginia were the four Upper South states that seceded after Ft. Sumter. North Carolina was the last to secede but Tennessee was the last to officially join. These four states will always be Upper South overall. Some people would consider Kentucky today but some won't since Kentucky never joined the Confederacy. For these types of polls about "How Southern a state is" I think its only fair to look back at the Confederate States. For the Confederate States, you can rank them however you want because they are southern and always will be.

Old 02-25-2014, 07:17 PM

Cross that out, this is the order of Confederate Secession:

1. South Carolina- December 20, 1860
2. Mississippi- January 9, 1861
3. Florida- January 10, 1861
4. Alabama- January 11, 1861
5. Georgia- January 19, 1861
6. Louisiana- January 26, 1861
7. Texas- February 1, 1861
8. Virginia- April 17, 1861
9. Arkansas- May 6, 1861
10. North Carolina- May 20, 1861
11. Tennessee- June 8, 1861

Old 02-25-2014, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I always thought Arkansas wasn't too "southern" due to it bordering Missouri, Oklahoma, and a little bit of Texas. Since Arkansas borders these states, it also contains a "western" and mid-western influence as well. It's definitely still a southern state but NC is a little more southern in the way the nation thinks as "southern." NC is more Southeast, a bit more similar to states like Georgia, Tennessee, South Carolina, etc. No matter how many transplants come down here, it will always be southern. There are plenty of transplants in Georgia and look at that state. Plus, the transplants don't move to the rural areas of the state and these areas are obviously more southern than our urban areas. However, that's a good point that some of the delta is in Arkansas. That area must be the most "southern" area of Arkansas, a bit like Eastern NC.
Missouri south of U.S. Highway 60 doesn't really have any midwestern influences, so I'm not sure I would count that border really. There is certainly no difference between the Missouri bootheel and northeast Arkansas.

Old 02-25-2014, 07:27 PM

320 posts, read 474,299 times
Quote:
Southwest Arkansas has a touch of Texas/Oklahoma. Northwest Arkansas has a large amount of transplants. My home city of Little Rock (center of the state) and the counties from the south central to the southeast part of the state have the least amount of transplants. Little Rock and Pine Bluff (south of Little Rock) are considered to be too crime ridden for many transplants and the Delta too poor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or