U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2015, 10:27 AM

96 posts, read 193,479 times

Advertisements

I think I read a couple of years ago that North Carolina was the most liberal of the souther states. Does that make it less Southern? I don't know. It depends on if the OP was asking for comparison based on politics or culture, in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2015, 12:53 PM

2,825 posts, read 3,273,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr1967 View Post
I think I read a couple of years ago that North Carolina was the most liberal of the souther states. Does that make it less Southern? I don't know. It depends on if the OP was asking for comparison based on politics or culture, in general.
Ignore this, posted twice.

Old 04-26-2015, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Wouldn't Virginia take the cake for being the most liberal in the South? We're kinda 50/50 in North Carolina, but we've been leaning more towards the conservative side these past few years.

Old 04-26-2015, 01:08 PM

29,945 posts, read 27,415,389 times
Quote:
Historically NC was among the most moderate Southern states, but I don't think it's really ever been the most liberal. But even this hasn't been true for the past five years or so since its hard turn to the right.

Old 04-26-2015, 06:41 PM

44,953 posts, read 36,237,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfoe View Post
Lol Chicago, St Louis as southern lol OK. Try going to visit Waco, Florence, hearne and Tell that ain't southern. Those areas are in Central Texas.
For that matter, many small midwestern towns "feel" just as southern as towns of a similar size in central Texas - but that doesn't make them "southern."

That being said, I do feel like central Texas through east Texas is more southern than southwestern, but we've beaten that horse to death numerous times on C-D.

Old 04-26-2015, 06:59 PM

105 posts, read 78,684 times
South Florida

Old 04-27-2015, 08:00 AM

144 posts, read 156,758 times
Nah, I have lived in both the South and in Texas and it's two different worlds.

San Antonio has zero southern traits and Dallas has very few. Once you get outside of the big cities, then yes Texas is southern in many ways, especially in East Texas where it's primary trait is southern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
I disagree with "most of Texas is Southern" and I am from the Southeast and live in Texas. I especially disagree that the "especially in the black community" part makes "most of Texas Southern," because black communities are Southern in many Northern cities too, like St. Louis, Chicago, and Milwaukee, so that's not saying much.

Old 04-27-2015, 11:00 AM

I didn't really feel like I was in the South when I visited Austin, and the whole Dallas/Ft. Worth area struck me as more "General American suburbia" over southern.

Some folks wouldn't call the Research Triangle in NC "southern" but I think it's much more southern than the Texas metros.

Old 04-27-2015, 12:00 PM

6,611 posts, read 6,933,234 times
They are all southern...no matter how many transplants or immigrants live in a southern city or state it will remain southern. It seems like the South is the only region of the U.S. where this is even a question. No one seems to question California's western-ness or New York's northeastern-ness because of all the transplants there.

Old 05-01-2015, 02:51 PM

2,231 posts, read 1,693,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
They are all southern...no matter how many transplants or immigrants live in a southern city or state it will remain southern. It seems like the South is the only region of the U.S. where this is even a question. No one seems to question California's western-ness or New York's northeastern-ness because of all the transplants there.
Yeah, that's because when people move to California and New York, for the most part most of them assimilate into the local California or New York culture. But in places like Texas, many of these folks refuse to assimilate and practically try to turn Texas into California, Mexico, or where ever it is they came from. That's the big difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or