U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-03-2016, 05:42 PM
 
Location: The Heart of Dixie
7,823 posts, read 12,330,814 times
Reputation: 4769

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradiseme View Post
West Virginia is a lot like Kentucky. Why isn't Kentucky included in the south?
Southern West Virginia is like Eastern Kentucky, the Appalachian part. The western 2/3 of Kentucky including the Bluegrass region are VERY different than West Virginia and in some ways similar to central Virginia IMO. Also there is no city here in WV on the scale of Louisville. Kentucky overall is more Southern than WV, though WV is Southern in its southern half.

The northern part of West Virginia is very similar to western Pennsylvania. Morgantown and Wheeling are particularly northern cities. I would say Charleston, Huntington, Beckley, Princeton, and Bluefield are Southern cities. There is nothing Midwest about WV except maybe the Point Pleasant area which borders Ohio. When I think Midwest, I think the open farmland and rolling plains of the heartland (and cities like Kansas City and Omaha), very different than here. The quintessentially Midwestern states would be like Kansas, Nebraska, etc and there's absolutely no similarities between West Virginia and those places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-03-2016, 05:45 PM
 
Location: The Heart of Dixie
7,823 posts, read 12,330,814 times
Reputation: 4769
Texas.

Texan culture is different than the South overall, especially outside of East Texas. Texans also identify as Texans first and foremost, and you see Texas flags everywhere, and relatively few Confederate flags. I live in southern West Virginia and there are far more Confederate flags here than in Texas. In fact I didn't see a single one in the Texas Panhandle and only 1 in the Dallas-Fort Worth area. The Texan accent is also very different than most southern accents, and Texas has a particularly high number of migrants both from the north and from foreign countries. Large swaths of Texas also are Southwestern, and many people tell me that San Antonio and South Texas and El Paso basically is the same as Mexico.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2016, 05:47 PM
 
Location: The Heart of Dixie
7,823 posts, read 12,330,814 times
Reputation: 4769
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr1967 View Post
I think I read a couple of years ago that North Carolina was the most liberal of the souther states. Does that make it less Southern? I don't know. It depends on if the OP was asking for comparison based on politics or culture, in general.
Virginia is the most liberal, thanks to NOVA which is filled with northern transplant, federal government workers, and illegal aliens.

Florida is also more liberal due to illegal immigration and the northern migration. The retirees from the NY/NJ and Boston areas are especially yuppie elite, those from the Midwest and places like Pennsylvania less so. The kind of northerners who move to Georgia and South Carolina, for the most part tend to be conservative, middle class types seeking lower taxes and a more family friendly environment, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2016, 09:57 PM
 
2,512 posts, read 2,272,883 times
Reputation: 1830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Virginia is the most liberal, thanks to NOVA which is filled with northern transplant, federal government workers, and illegal aliens.

Florida is also more liberal due to illegal immigration and the northern migration. The retirees from the NY/NJ and Boston areas are especially yuppie elite, those from the Midwest and places like Pennsylvania less so. The kind of northerners who move to Georgia and South Carolina, for the most part tend to be conservative, middle class types seeking lower taxes and a more family friendly environment, though.
Agreed, Nova houses everything you listed but its also more liberal due to having the most educated and wealthy within the state as well. I didnt want you to leave on the note of illegal immigrants as being the main reason anywhere is more liberal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2016, 10:07 PM
 
29,944 posts, read 27,386,421 times
Reputation: 18522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Virginia is the most liberal, thanks to NOVA which is filled with northern transplant, federal government workers, and illegal aliens.

Florida is also more liberal due to illegal immigration and the northern migration. The retirees from the NY/NJ and Boston areas are especially yuppie elite, those from the Midwest and places like Pennsylvania less so. The kind of northerners who move to Georgia and South Carolina, for the most part tend to be conservative, middle class types seeking lower taxes and a more family friendly environment, though.
More specifically, I'd say they are more libertarian--fiscally conservative, socially moderate/liberal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2016, 11:31 PM
 
Location: Florida
5,914 posts, read 2,748,005 times
Reputation: 7143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Virginia is the most liberal, thanks to NOVA which is filled with northern transplant, federal government workers, and illegal aliens.

Florida is also more liberal due to illegal immigration and the northern migration. The retirees from the NY/NJ and Boston areas are especially yuppie elite, those from the Midwest and places like Pennsylvania less so. The kind of northerners who move to Georgia and South Carolina, for the most part tend to be conservative, middle class types seeking lower taxes and a more family friendly environment, though.
Care to prove that because Florida has a large Immigrant population but Illegals ( especially of Hispanic descent) aren't Mexicans.
The vast majority of Hispanics in Florida are of Cuban / Puerto Rican and South American descent which are Legal citizens and residents of the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2016, 11:32 PM
 
Location: Appalachian New York, Formerly Louisiana
4,099 posts, read 4,737,517 times
Reputation: 5374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Southern West Virginia is like Eastern Kentucky, the Appalachian part. The western 2/3 of Kentucky including the Bluegrass region are VERY different than West Virginia and in some ways similar to central Virginia IMO. Also there is no city here in WV on the scale of Louisville. Kentucky overall is more Southern than WV, though WV is Southern in its southern half.

The northern part of West Virginia is very similar to western Pennsylvania. Morgantown and Wheeling are particularly northern cities. I would say Charleston, Huntington, Beckley, Princeton, and Bluefield are Southern cities. There is nothing Midwest about WV except maybe the Point Pleasant area which borders Ohio. When I think Midwest, I think the open farmland and rolling plains of the heartland (and cities like Kansas City and Omaha), very different than here. The quintessentially Midwestern states would be like Kansas, Nebraska, etc and there's absolutely no similarities between West Virginia and those places.
Huntington is a typically debated one. Sometimes called the northern most city of the south, other times called the southernmost city of the north. I consider it a gateway kind of place, myself.

I would also call Parkersburg fairly northern or at least Mid-landish.

On the note of open farmland, there are a few areas of WV that fit the bill. Some valleys along the Ohio river are actually pretty open and harbor farms. Few and far between though.

However, the far eastern panhandle is home to arguably the flattest and most open land in the whole state. While far too eastern to be lumped into the Midwest, it does bare a resemblance to places like the Ontario lowlands of NY; and the low plains of east central/northeastern Ohio.

For example:

West Virginia-
https://goo.gl/maps/R1Zjz4QZrDE2

https://goo.gl/maps/xU11mHyJjPs

New York-
https://goo.gl/maps/vjgcBRCDM122

https://goo.gl/maps/ZbAf465Fiyq

Ohio-
https://goo.gl/maps/sXYpXL6SGxB2

https://goo.gl/maps/K3xfr4yFMhy

Obviously each of those areas were recorded during different seasons and at varying camera quality, but they all bare similar "Midwestern" scenery and are all just on or near the edge of greater Appalachia.

My point being, saying there is absolutely zero similarities between WV and the image of the Midwest isn't entirely true.

For kicks, here also is eastern Nebraska-
https://goo.gl/maps/FLBqzRHpeVT2

And eastern Kansas-
https://goo.gl/maps/jWzvvQcnt912

Truthfully, I think calling Nebraska and Kansas the greatest example of the midwest as a whole is dishonest. Both states change quickly heading west and are part of the frontier strip; which is where the Midwest and the West meet.

Illinois, Wisconsin and Iowa are more the best examples of the Midwest overall. The three states cover each kind of territory you'll find in the region. Flat or rolling plains, forested low plains, hill country, great lake coasts, and high plains. As well as the culture from lower Midwest to the upper Midwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2016, 11:40 PM
NCN
 
Location: NC/SC Border Patrol
21,135 posts, read 21,888,823 times
Reputation: 23217
Where we live in the South, the more money you have which is usually the more educated, the more conservative a person is. My opinion of most liberals is that they are so dumb they don't even know to come inside when there is a thunder storm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2016, 05:58 AM
 
29,944 posts, read 27,386,421 times
Reputation: 18522
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Where we live in the South, the more money you have which is usually the more educated, the more conservative a person is. My opinion of most liberals is that they are so dumb they don't even know to come inside when there is a thunder storm.
Biting at the chomp to make America great again huh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2016, 08:54 AM
 
Location: Arch City
1,724 posts, read 1,227,304 times
Reputation: 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Texas.

Texan culture is different than the South overall, especially outside of East Texas. Texans also identify as Texans first and foremost, and you see Texas flags everywhere, and relatively few Confederate flags. I live in southern West Virginia and there are far more Confederate flags here than in Texas. In fact I didn't see a single one in the Texas Panhandle and only 1 in the Dallas-Fort Worth area. The Texan accent is also very different than most southern accents, and Texas has a particularly high number of migrants both from the north and from foreign countries. Large swaths of Texas also are Southwestern, and many people tell me that San Antonio and South Texas and El Paso basically is the same as Mexico.
I disagree. I don't see a difference between most of Texas and the rest of the South culturally, linguistically, and apart from Hispanics demographically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top