U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2016, 05:37 AM

3,788 posts, read 3,011,092 times

Advertisements

Florida really isn't southern outside of certain sections, but it also really couldn't be confused with the Midwest or Northeast either. It's just... Florida. I don't quite know how to describe the culture there because it is so different from many other places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2016, 06:36 AM

9,852 posts, read 21,153,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyNY View Post
Ouch

West Virginia tends to be a mishmash of different regions of the US. In terms of influence, I'd say it's about 40% southern, 40% midwest, and 20% northeast
My nephew is married to a woman from the far northern panhandle of WV. Based on her accent she could be from New Jersey. Huge difference from Huntington, which is basically eastern Kentucky.

Old 06-08-2016, 10:03 AM

4,102 posts, read 4,741,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceter View Post
A mishmash....West Virginia is more like the " Bigoted Hillbilly " center of the Universe.
Absolutely not.

WV is no more bigoted than anywhere else I've been.

Now Louisiana. THAT was a severely bigoted place. In all directions.

In my experiences WV is no more racist/sexist/whatever than Ohio is.

Old 06-08-2016, 11:49 AM

5,093 posts, read 6,864,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceter View Post
A mishmash....West Virginia is more like the " Bigoted Hillbilly " center of the Universe.
Because I am sure you have spent a lot of time in WV and know a bunch of people from WV

WV is 3/5 southern, with a solid portion "rust belt" and the Eastern Panhandle being Mid-Atlantic. It certainly is not all southern though, and even parts of Southern WV has more in common with Ohio and PA than the south. Charleston being a perfect example with its rich industrial heritage.

Old 06-09-2016, 06:18 AM

44,946 posts, read 36,237,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reohh View Post
That isn't entirely true. Now Houston, TX maybe, but the rest of Texas would be country and southern.
Wow. Have you ever heard of the following cities?

Dallas
Fort Worth
Austin
San Antonio
El Paso

I think hundreds of thousands of residents of these cities would be surprised to find out that they are "country and southern."

Old 06-09-2016, 08:27 AM

3,512 posts, read 2,976,691 times
On a pure technicality? Delaware.

In reality? I'd say Florida. When almost 2/3 of your state lives in non-Southern (stereotypically speaking from a cultural persepective) metropolitan areas (Miami, Orlando and Tampa), it's an easy pick.

Old 06-09-2016, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
On a pure technicality? Delaware.

In reality? I'd say Florida. When almost 2/3 of your state lives in non-Southern (stereotypically speaking from a cultural persepective) metropolitan areas (Miami, Orlando and Tampa), it's an easy pick.
I keep forgetting Delaware is even considered part of the south by any source.

I've just always thought of it as northeastern.

Old 06-09-2016, 11:39 AM

3,512 posts, read 2,976,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
I keep forgetting Delaware is even considered part of the south by any source.

I've just always thought of it as northeastern.
Yea, I think it's a Census oversight that needs updating, for sure. Maryland, I can see (though I don't agree), given its history and status south of the Mason Dixon line, but Delaware? Though we were a slave and border state, we've always leaned North, and we're east and north of the actual demarcation. Discounting all cultural issues, we should be Northern on a pure technicality.

Delaware is actually celebrating its independence from Pennsylvania tomorrow with Separation Day, and we have much more in common with that state than any other. I'd say only Sussex County qualifies as Southern, but only 20% of the population actually lives there.

Old 06-09-2016, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Yea, I think it's a Census oversight that needs updating, for sure. Maryland, I can see (though I don't agree), given its history and status south of the Mason Dixon line, but Delaware? Though we were a slave and border state, we've always leaned North, and we're east and north of the actual demarcation. Discounting all cultural issues, we should be Northern on a pure technicality.

Delaware is actually celebrating its independence from Pennsylvania tomorrow with Separation Day, and we have much more in common with that state than any other. I'd say only Sussex County qualifies as Southern, but only 20% of the population actually lives there.
It's funny you mention Sussex county being somewhat southern since from around there and south is the only part of Maryland I consider southern.

Even West Maryland is more like central PA. It's also part of northern Appalachia, rather than central or southern.

Pennsylvania has this funny culturally magnetic effect on all of its neighbors.

Old 06-09-2016, 12:10 PM

432 posts, read 356,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Wow. Have you ever heard of the following cities?

Dallas
Fort Worth
Austin
San Antonio
El Paso

I think hundreds of thousands of residents of these cities would be surprised to find out that they are "country and southern."
I'm so sick of people from Texas trying to act like they aren't southern/don't have southern roots. Dallas and Fort Worth are Southern cities, and once you get outside of the core it can get pretty country. I have a friend from Fort Worth and he calls himself "a southern gentleman". Come to Boston (or any major city in the north) and say Dallas isn't a southern city/doesn't have southern roots and you will be laughed at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or