Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2018, 11:28 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,402,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
What part of "social issues have changed from generation to generation" is difficult to understand?

I cant show you that the GOP was pro gun control because when the GOP was more progressive, that wasnt much of an issue.
You have not provided any evidence that Republicans, including those in the south, support racist policy yet you assert white racists as a group flocked to GOP.

In a two party system, there are definitely some white racists that vote for GOP, no doubt. But it isn't b/c GOP has white racist policies.

Your premise is every white racist agrees on every issue out there.

The guy who led the white supremacy march in Charlottesville had voted for Obama in 2012 and had been a member of Occupy Wall Street. That doesn't sound like a conservative to me.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 07-11-2018 at 11:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2018, 11:34 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweat209 View Post

I have never seen the Confederate flag in Texas.
I certainly won't say I've never seen a Confederate flag in Texas, but I will say I've seen a lot more of them in the Midwest, and I've seen them in many states throughout the US. Heck, I even saw a huge one hanging outside a house in Germany once.

They're around here and there, but they're certainly not some sort of prevalent fixture. Most people much prefer flying the Texas flag more than any other flag.

Old 07-11-2018, 11:35 AM

I rarely have seen a Confederate flag in SC. I see US flags everywhere.

Old 07-11-2018, 11:46 AM

I don't understand why people use the word southern when they are talking about conservative. If you are talking about politics, it makes no sense to use a geographic word like southern.

Old 07-11-2018, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
I rarely have seen a Confederate flag in SC. I see US flags everywhere.
Usually I fly a Texas flag from my flagpole but I occasionally switch it out with an American flag, which is flying now (I usually keep an American flag up from Memorial Day through Labor Day).

In spite of having ancestry who fought for the Confederacy, I personally have never cared for the display of the Confederate flag. It's divisive, and I can understand why it would bother some people, and it stood for a cause for many people that I don't and would never have supported (I would have been an abolitionist for SURE back in the day), so I don't much care for it.

That being said, I DO really groove on the fact that Texas was it's own nation for awhile. And it didn't have to secede from the United States to do it, either. There's some cool stuff in the contract with the US when The Republic of Texas agreed to annexation.

Anyway, first and foremost I'm grateful to be an American, but I'm also grateful to be a Texan living in the United States of America.

I have a funny story about a Confederate flag so here goes:

As many people here know, my four kids are biracial. My oldest son has always been provocative and a bit socially inappropriate (and I usually get a kick out of those traits, but not always!). Anyway, we were getting ready for church one Sunday and I noticed that he had a HUGE (and very ugly) ring on that was a big, honking Confederate flag. I said, "Son. Why on earth are you wearing that and where did you get it?" He just looked abashed and said, "I got it from some guy at school." I said, "You're a teenager so I don't want to micromanage your clothing choices, but I do reserve the right to say what you can and cannot wear to church, and I say you cannot wear that ring to church, so go take it off and frankly, I want you to give it back to whoever you got it from in the first place." "Yes, m'am," he said sheepishly and wandered back to his room.

An hour or so later, I notice him fidgeting around in church, and I see to my dismay that he's still wearing that ring - but that he's twisting it around and trying "on the downlow" apparently to slip it off his finger - and it's not budging. He looked over at me and when I raised my eyebrow (only one) and looked pointedly at his hand, he shrugged his shoulders and mouthed, "I'm sorry, Mom," and held up his hand - his finger was all swollen around that stupid ring and he clearly couldn't get it off. I whispered, "Just stop messing with it."

As soon as we got in the car, I said, "Ok so when we get home, let's get online and find out the best way to get a ring off a finger." So first, we tried soaking his hand in ice water to get the swelling down, but as soon as we'd try to get the ring off, his finger would swell up again. We tried running fishing line under the ring. We tried oil, vaseline, you name it. The finger was now looking BAD. Finally I said, "I hate to do this, but we have to get you to the emergency room."

OMG.

You should have seen the looks on those peoples' faces when I showed up at the ER with a boy who is clearly at least half African American, with a Confederate Flag ring stuck on his finger! Long story short, they tried to get it off too, and finally had to call the MAINTENANCE GUY who had to use some sort of tool to cut that stupid ring off my son's finger! Meanwhile, all sorts of people kept coming into the room and saying, "Let me take a look at that finger," and then they'd start to laugh and just say, "I'm sorry...I'm sorry..." and I'd say, "No, please. Laugh away. I want this kid to be embarrassed!"

When it was off, they tried to give it to me and I said, "Please. Throw it away." So I guess they did.

$200 is what this stupid fiasco cost me, and I made my son work to pay me back part of that. We were just laughing about this the other day in fact. He's 32 now and clearly sees that his judgment in that situation was pretty terrible, but 18 years later it's a pretty funny family story.

Old 07-11-2018, 12:53 PM

12,837 posts, read 9,562,557 times
https://myfox8.com/2017/06/24/restau...-his-business/

Above article on confederate flag.

Quote:
Initially, Daras accepted the flag and the nearby marker. But that changed weeks after his grand opening, the group flew a larger flag in the aftermath of the 2015 church shooting in Charleston. Dylann Roof killed nine church members after calling for a race war.
High school students in Texas flying the confederate flag:

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/texa...ng-stir-online

Old 07-11-2018, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
https://myfox8.com/2017/06/24/restau...-his-business/

Above article on confederate flag.

High school students in Texas flying the confederate flag:

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/texa...ng-stir-online
You know we could post pictures of Confederate flags being displayed in public from every state and many countries around the world, right? I mean, that really doesn't prove anything other than people are pretty much the same everywhere.

https://www.denverpost.com/2017/09/2...football-game/

Students wear Confederate flag clothing to Indiana high school prompting change in dress code - NY Daily News

https://oregonlive.com/pacific-north...ing_in_ch.html

"All Americans:" California man defends flying Confederate flag | National | mysuncoast.com

https://www.npr.org/2017/09/30/55469...state-new-york

Chicago 1969: When Black Panthers aligned with Confederate-flag-wielding, working-class whites

Constable: Vet won't surrender Confederate flag

I mean, I could go on but frankly, I'm bored with it so there you have it.

Old 07-11-2018, 01:15 PM

Kind of hard to make Dylan Roof out as typical person in the south given most people in the south don't murder people.

There is a picture of him burning the American flag which isn't something Republican voters support.

Old 07-11-2018, 01:16 PM

12,837 posts, read 9,562,557 times
https://www.usatoday.com/picture-gal...able/29285623/

States that still allow confederate imagery on license plates. All but Maryland are southern.

Old 07-11-2018, 01:20 PM

Do any southern universities have admission policies regarding Asians similar to Harvard's?

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/15/polit...can/index.html

Do southern conservatives run Harvard?

That's one of the most racist things that I've seen in my life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.