U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2018, 02:25 PM

5,656 posts, read 3,432,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
Do any southern universities have admission policies regarding Asians similar to Harvard's?

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/15/polit...can/index.html

Do southern conservatives run Harvard?

That's one of the most racist things that I've seen in my life.
Not sure. But Clemson is only 2.3% Asian and 83% white. Gorgeous campus though. Harvard is about 22.2% Asian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2018, 02:27 PM

48,047 posts, read 38,608,874 times
Quote:
Kind of hard to make Dylan Roof out as typical person in the south given most people in the south don't murder people.

There is a picture of him burning the American flag which isn't something Republican voters support.

Top three states for violent crime per capita:
3. New Mexico
2. Nevada
1. Alaska

Hmmm, not the northeast, the midwest, or the south. Interesting.

Top metro areas for violent crime rates per capita - hint: Louisiana, New Mexico and Illinois REALLY suck.
https://statista.com/statistics/4336...nt-crime-rate/

Old 07-11-2018, 02:28 PM

9,334 posts, read 4,642,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Not sure. But Clemson is only 2.3% Asian and 83% white. Gorgeous campus though. Harvard is about 22.2% Asian.
Yes but Harvard could be higher percentage Asian if not for the Harvard admissions policy. It appears to be penalizing Asians on some kind of weird baseless assertion about their personalities.

SC is a public university and has to take a majority of students from in state, and not many Asians live in SC. You are not comparing apples to apples.

Old 07-11-2018, 02:29 PM

Quote:
So as an Asian American, how do you like living in Clemson?

Old 07-11-2018, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Yes but Harvard could be higher percentage Asian if not for the Harvard admissions policy.

SC is a public university and has to take a majority of students from in state, and not many Asians live in SC. You are not comparing apples to apples.
Harvard is a private school, so they can admit whoever they like. That looks like a group of students who were upset that they were not accepted into Harvard. No proof that Harvard is discriminatory. However, many schools, other than Harvard, promotes affirmative action. They want a diverse student body for better or worse.

That doesn't change the fact that Clemson, in my new adopted home state, only has 2.3% Asians in it's student body.

Old 07-11-2018, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Top three states for violent crime per capita:
3. New Mexico
2. Nevada
1. Alaska

Hmmm, not the northeast, the midwest, or the south. Interesting.

Top metro areas for violent crime rates per capita - hint: Louisiana, New Mexico and Illinois REALLY suck.
https://statista.com/statistics/4336...nt-crime-rate/
Those per capita crime stats are misleading in my view. They make lower population states seem worse than they are. Crime increases with population.

I can't believe Alaska, Nevada, etc are more dangerous than California, Florida, etc.

Old 07-11-2018, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
So as an Asian American, how do you like living in Clemson?
It's gorgeous. A bit humid, but I looked up the weather in Denver and it's actually been hotter there. You never know with global warming. Love the southern hospitality down here and it's really hip. And cool.

Old 07-11-2018, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Harvard is a private school, so they can admit whoever they like. That looks like a group of students who were upset that they were not accepted into Harvard. No proof that Harvard is discriminatory. However, many schools, other than Harvard, promotes affirmative action. They want a diverse student body for better or worse.

That doesn't change the fact that Clemson, in my new adopted home state, only has 2.3% Asians in it's student body.
Ok. So an Asian is cool with Harvard's admission policy which appears to discriminate against Asians but you are really concerned about Confederate flag supporters in the south.

It doesn't seem real likely a Confederate flag person is making hiring decisions or college admission decisions.

2.3 percent is probably much higher than SC's Asian population as a whole. Most likely a very high percentage of Asians that apply to Clemson get accepted. I expect is a much higher percentage than Harvard's acceptance of Asians, given Harvard's policy.

Old 07-11-2018, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Those per capita crime stats are misleading in my view. They make lower population states seem worse than they are. Crime increases with population.

I can't believe Alaska, Nevada, etc are more dangerous than California, Florida, etc.
This is PER CAPITA, not per population. It's more accurate than saying "Look how many crimes there are in Texas and California." Well, yeah, because they have more people. This is crimes per 100,000 people. So yes, Alaska, Nevada, and New Mexico are more dangerous per capita than any other states, including California and Florida.

Being a Texan, I get into this sort of discussion a lot. For instance, recently someone posted the raw number of traffic fatalities or something like that in Texas and said, "OMG, what's happening in Texas to create all these traffic fatalities?" Well, PER CAPITA Texas is right smack dab in the middle of the nation - per 100,000 people. It just seems like a bigger figure because we have more 100,000s of thousands of people than, say, Montana.

Old 07-11-2018, 02:37 PM

Quote:
It's gorgeous. A bit humid, but I looked up the weather in Denver and it's actually been hotter there. You never know with global warming. Love the southern hospitality down here and it's really hip. And cool.
Well, that's super important. (Must have changed a lot from when I lived there, but if so, yay on them!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or