U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-11-2018, 03:04 PM
 
Location: Clemson, SC by way of Tyler,TX
4,844 posts, read 2,975,563 times
Reputation: 3391

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
I don't understand what you mean by white nationalists and how you know they all support GOP. That seems like a partisan assertion that you could not prove in court.

I've never said Republicans 'are more friendly to minorities than Democrats'. I've said the GOP doesn't have a white racist platform and I don't think there was a white racist en bloc switch to the GOP.

I don't think white racism is a big issue in this country anymore.

I don't think Republicans were 'socially progressive' as you define it back in the day.

You talk about intellectual weight but you linked an article that used Strom Thurmond switching to the GOP to make the case of a Big Switch despite Strom being the exception to the rule.
Do you believe most of the white nationalists that showed up in Charlottesville voted for Hillary?
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-11-2018, 03:05 PM
 
Location: Greenville SC 'Waterfall City'
7,581 posts, read 3,994,519 times
Reputation: 2906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
It's insincere of you to call me a liberal.

Read this article:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/how-the-gop-went-south

I find it to be very balanced.
The Daily Beast is very liberal.

You falsely claim to live in Clemson and you falsely claimed to have 'southern pride'. You seem to be an insincere kind of guy.

I don't know or care if you are a liberal or not, but you obviously are taking the partisan Democrat stance that there was a white racist Big Switch.

You say you are conservative while also insisting white racists flock to the GOP.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2018, 03:08 PM
 
Location: Greenville SC 'Waterfall City'
7,581 posts, read 3,994,519 times
Reputation: 2906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Do you believe most of the white nationalists that showed up in Charlottesville voted for Hillary?
Do you have any evidence most of them voted for Trump? We know the leader of the rally had voted for Obama in 2012 and was in Occupy Wall Street.

If those are mainstream Republicans, why don't we see more rallies like that?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2018, 03:11 PM
 
Location: Washington Park, Denver
6,939 posts, read 6,548,353 times
Reputation: 7426
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
I don't understand what you mean by white nationalists and how you know they all support GOP. That seems like a partisan assertion that you could not prove in court.

I've never said Republicans 'are more friendly to minorities than Democrats'. I've said the GOP doesn't have a white racist platform and I don't think there was a white racist en bloc switch to the GOP.

I don't think white racism is a big issue in this country anymore.

I don't think Republicans were 'socially progressive' as you define it back in the day.

You talk about intellectual weight but you linked an article that used Strom Thurmond switching to the GOP to make the case of a Big Switch despite Strom being the exception to the rule.
Herein lies the problem. You’re a white guy I take it? It’s not your place or mine to tell non white people if white racism is a problem. We don’t get to make that call. The Republican Party, which is much more white than the country, is legislating in ways that say white racism is not a problem, when non-whites still say that it is. You’ll never get that constituency that way. Sure there will be the outliers here and there but really the only way for the Republican Party to maintain power without a platform shift on race and immigration issues is to marginalize and disenfranchise minority voters.

Look at this picture and tell me how you would feel if you weren’t white:
https://www.google.com/search?client...XLJhb1J0pQmKM:
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2018, 03:12 PM
 
Location: Greenville SC 'Waterfall City'
7,581 posts, read 3,994,519 times
Reputation: 2906
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Herein lies the problem. You’re a white guy I take it? It’s not your place or mine to tell non white people if white racism is a problem. We don’t get to make that call. The Republican Party, which much more white than the country, is legislating in ways that say white racism is not a problem, when non-whites still say that it is. You’ll never get that constituency that way. Sure there will be the outliers here and there but really the only way for the Republican Party to maintain power without a platform shift on race and immigration issues is to marginalize and disenfranchise minority voters.
I'm not telling non white people what to think.

I'm stating my view.

Upthread you asserted you are not saying GOP has a racist platform yet you just accused the GOP of racism and disenfranchisement of minority voters.

I've seen reports that hispanic and african american unemployment is the lowest it has been in a long time. I'm not seeing the marginalization.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2018, 03:18 PM
 
Location: Washington Park, Denver
6,939 posts, read 6,548,353 times
Reputation: 7426
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
I'm not telling non white people what to think.

I'm stating my view.

Upthread you asserted you are not saying GOP has a racist platform yet you just accused the GOP of racism and disenfranchisement of minority voters.

I've seen reports that hispanic and african american unemployment is the lowest it has been in a long time. I'm not seeing the marginalization.
Your view is being legislated by a nearly all white party. I said they will have no choice but to marginalize and disenfranchise if they donít change their platform and want to stay in power.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2018, 03:20 PM
 
Location: Greenville SC 'Waterfall City'
7,581 posts, read 3,994,519 times
Reputation: 2906
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Your view is being legislated by a nearly all white party. I said they will have no choice but to marginalize and disenfranchise if they don’t change their platform and want to stay in power.
My view that white racism is not a big issue in this country has nothing to do with the GOP. A party could not legislate my view that white racism is not a big issue in this country. It is not a policy. I could be wrong but I think that I'm right based on my own life experience living in the south.

I think you are presenting a false choice. I think it is far more likely the GOP would just lose elections rather than 'marginalize and disenfranchise' minorities. If the demographics change so much in the US that the current GOP platform is not viable, there would be no reason to change platform because it is already a one party country.

I do think there is a good chance the US will become more like Mexico or a South American country in the future. California went from a Republican state to a very liberal state in a short period of time due to immigration from south of the border.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 07-11-2018 at 03:32 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2018, 03:36 PM
 
Location: Washington Park, Denver
6,939 posts, read 6,548,353 times
Reputation: 7426
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
My view that white racism is not a big issue in this country has nothing to do with the GOP. A party could not legislate my view that white racism is not a big issue in this country. It is not a policy. I could be wrong but I think that I'm right based on my own life experience living in the south.

I think you are presenting a false choice. I think it is far more likely the GOP would just lose elections rather than 'marginalize and disenfranchise' minorities. If the demographics change so much in the US that the current GOP platform is not viable, there would be no reason to change platform because it is already a one party country.

I do think there is a good chance the US will become more like Mexico or a South American country in the future. California went from a Republican state to a very liberal state in a short period of time due to immigration from south of the border.
Of course this view is being legislated.

http://thehill.com/policy/finance/38...ng-racial-bias

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/03/u...e-schools.html

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...orkers-n741041
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2018, 03:37 PM
 
Location: Greenville SC 'Waterfall City'
7,581 posts, read 3,994,519 times
Reputation: 2906
Just because somebody says something is racist doesn't mean that it is racist.

Republicans argue that the reason many people on the left are always making accusations of racism is you want to fearmonger minorities into sticking with the Democratic party and it is also about boosting minority turnout.

You also conveniently don't mention the low hispanic and african american unemployment right now b/c that doesn't support your narrative.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2018, 03:39 PM
 
Location: Washington Park, Denver
6,939 posts, read 6,548,353 times
Reputation: 7426
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
Just because somebody says something is racist doesn't mean that it is racist.

Republicans argue that the reason many people on the left are always making accusations of racist is you want to fearmonger minorities into sticking with the Democratic party.
See but here’s the trap....You’re a white guy, you don’t get to tell non white people who is being racist (well apparently you do because Trump, but this is fundamentally flawed)
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top