U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2018, 04:27 PM

45,027 posts, read 36,268,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
This is how you know it is a partisan article: ' And indeed, Sen. Strom Thurmond of South Carolina switched his party affiliation from Democratic to Republican specifically for this reason.'

All the other segregationist Democrat senators did not switch to the GOP, including Robert Byrd and Al Gore's father who both filibustered the Civil RIghts Act of 1964. If the article doesn't mention that, it is intending to deceive the reader.

You don't appear to research the facts independently.

I understand you haven't mentioned TIm Scott. You also havn't explained why these white racists if they switched to GOP would vote for Tim Scott.

Strom Thurmond switched b/c of his views on foreign policy, not b/c the GOP adopted a racist platform.
Strom Thurmond? Does anyone or did anyone ever take this dude seriously? Isn't he the one with a biracial daughter he had "on the side" with a 16 year old girl who worked for his parents? The one he didn't acknowledge, though he knew about her? She didn't even out him till he was dead and in the grave. What a paragon of virtue he was. BLECH.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2018, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Bro, Even the National Review says Thurmond switched parties because of the Civil Rights Act.

Who have I called a racist?
He switched sides but still never acknowledged his own mixed race daughter. What a goober.

Let's just say that I'm singularly unimpressed with his avowed lack of racism.

Old 07-11-2018, 04:43 PM

7,595 posts, read 4,020,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
He switched sides but still never acknowledged his own mixed race daughter. What a goober.

Let's just say that I'm singularly unimpressed with his avowed lack of racism.
I think he supported her financially and spent time with her. https://www.cnn.com/2013/02/05/us/so...bit/index.html

I follow a mixed race guy on Twitter who claims to be Bill Clinton's son. He looks a lot like Bill. I saw him tweeting at Bill on father's day one year. His name is Danney Williams.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 07-11-2018 at 05:00 PM..

Old 07-11-2018, 05:26 PM

Quote:
I think he supported her financially and spent time with her. https://www.cnn.com/2013/02/05/us/so...bit/index.html

I follow a mixed race guy on Twitter who claims to be Bill Clinton's son. He looks a lot like Bill. I saw him tweeting at Bill on father's day one year. His name is Danney Williams.

Interesting and certainly believable considering Bill's philandering ways.

Old 07-11-2018, 06:54 PM

6,964 posts, read 6,576,433 times
Quote:

Jesus you guys are obsessed with the Clintons.

Old 07-11-2018, 07:27 PM

5,940 posts, read 2,758,590 times
Quote:
Just because somebody says something is racist doesn't mean that it is racist.

Republicans argue that the reason many people on the left are always making accusations of racism is you want to fearmonger minorities into sticking with the Democratic party and it is also about boosting minority turnout.

You also conveniently don't mention the low hispanic and african american unemployment right now b/c that doesn't support your narrative.
Have you ever thought that not everything revolves around money?
The Republican party has done very little to endear themselves to minorities and now you have this POTUS piece of Schit who stands there and berates people of color on a daily basis whether it's Puerto Ricans or kids at the border.

Those of us who aren't "pure as the driven snow" know the "dog whistles" of racism coming from the GOP and POTUS.

Old 07-11-2018, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Have you ever thought that not everything revolves around money?
The Republican party has done very little to endear themselves to minorities and now you have this POTUS piece of Schit who stands there and berates people of color on a daily basis whether it's Puerto Ricans or kids at the border.

Those of us who aren't "pure as the driven snow" know the "dog whistles" of racism coming from the GOP and POTUS.
The reason you talk about 'dog whistles' is you don't have any evidence of racism but you still want to make the assertion.

Nothing you said in that post is factual. You also didn't mention DJT recently pardoning the black woman who was in jail for some kind of drug related felony. He got the Chinese president to spring those 3 black college basketball players who busted shoplifting. They were looking at like 10 years in a labor prison camp.

It is interesting how most of the topics about 'the South' on here feature a lot of people with your politics making accusations of racism that you could not prove in court.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 07-11-2018 at 08:01 PM..

Old 07-11-2018, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Jesus you guys are obsessed with the Clintons.
You guys talk about Strom Thurmond who died in 2003 when you are trying to push this Big Switch political theory. You linked to an article that talked about Thurmond. Clinton is a southerner who was the protege of the segregationist William Fullbright in Arkansas.

If there was a big switch of racist Democrats to the GOP, it seems like you could name some GOP politicians in the south who are white racist. I think we can rule out Tim Scott and Marco Rubio. Bobby Jindal and Nikki Haley are two recent GOP governors in "The South', and they are Indian.

Here is more evidence against the Big Switch theory. The GOP in SC did not control the trifecta of the governorship, house and senate in SC until 2003. https://ballotpedia.org/Party_contro...ate_government If there was a Big Switch because of Civil Rights Act, it is surprising that it took 39 years for GOP to have full control of the SC government. To quote somebody, things move slow in the south but not that slow.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 07-11-2018 at 08:10 PM..

Old 07-11-2018, 07:50 PM

29,947 posts, read 27,432,479 times
Quote:
You guys talk about Strom Thurmond who died in 2003.
Not on a regular basis.

Old 07-11-2018, 08:13 PM

6,964 posts, read 6,576,433 times
Quote:
You guys talk about Strom Thurmond who died in 2003 when you are trying to push this Big Switch political theory. You linked to an article that talked about Thurmond. Clinton is a southerner who was the protege of the segregationist William Fullbright in Arkansas.

If there was a big switch of racist Democrats to the GOP, it seems like you could name some GOP politicians in the south who are white racist. I think we can rule out Tim Scott and Marco Rubio. Bobby Jindal and Nikki Haley are two recent GOP governors in "The South', and they are Indian.

Here is more evidence against the Big Switch theory. The GOP in SC did not control the trifecta of the governorship, house and senate in SC until 2003. https://ballotpedia.org/Party_contro...ate_government If there was a Big Switch because of Civil Rights Act, it is surprising that it took 39 years for GOP to have full control of the SC government. To quote somebody, things move slow in the south but not that slow.
Bro. Let’s do a search on how many times Fox News has mentioned the name Clinton in the past week. It will easily exceed the amount of times MSNBC and CNN combined have mentioned Storm in the past 5 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or