U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2018, 08:42 PM

5,859 posts, read 14,051,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Anyways back to the topic at hand....least Southern is Florida

Do not call us "Southerners".
But many of you are!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2018, 08:47 PM

5,859 posts, read 14,051,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicDrifter View Post
Not really. Atlanta and Charlotte feel incredibly Southern to me. South Florida feels only Southern around the edges. It's not the 'new South' in the sense it's the industrial South/the urban South - long removed from its plantation or rural origins. It's what happens when you have a small Southern coastal community that receives way way way more people from elsewhere. In that sense, it's comparable to DC/Maryland and not Atlanta or Charlotte.
Miami doesn't feel Southern in the same way the city of Detroit doesn't not feel Northern. Different cultural groups predominate in both cities than they did 50 years ago.

Old 07-14-2018, 04:10 AM

920 posts, read 1,016,369 times
The debate as to whether this state is more or less Southern than than state will always go notional nowhere without discussing which state's people and culture fall closer in line with the people and culture of the South as a whole based on actual traits in comparison.

Old 07-14-2018, 06:14 AM

29,944 posts, read 27,375,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Miami doesn't feel Southern in the same way the city of Detroit doesn't not feel Northern. Different cultural groups predominate in both cities than they did 50 years ago.
If Detroit doesn't feel Northern, then what does it feel like? Nobody in their right mind would mistake Detroit for a Southern city just because it is majority Black which is what you appear to be implying. Same goes for other majority/near majority Black Northern cities like St. Louis, Cleveland, Philadelphia, Newark, etc.

Old 07-14-2018, 06:16 AM

4,211 posts, read 2,830,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpier015 View Post
There aren't. People use the Confederate thing as a way to separate NOVA from the rest of VA, for some reason. The entire state was apart of the Confederacy and that has nothing to do with 2018. Richmond just changed a school name and the mayor has been in the process of changing/removing other Confederate memorabilia.
Gotta let some people wallow in their ignorance...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
Probably KY and WV if you consider that the South.
Kentucky and West Virginia are absolutely southern...

Old 07-14-2018, 06:30 AM

5,093 posts, read 6,860,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post

Kentucky and West Virginia are absolutely southern...
I wouldn't say that. There is a strong transition the further north in WV you go. People often want to confuse rural culture with southern culture. Northern WV has ore in common with Ohio and PA, then it does with VA or KY.

Old 07-14-2018, 06:46 AM

4,211 posts, read 2,830,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
I wouldn't say that. There is a strong transition the further north in WV you go. People often want to confuse rural culture with southern culture. Northern WV has ore in common with Ohio and PA, then it does with VA or KY.
Okay? West Virginia is still a southern state and I think, unquestionably so...

The upper quarter or so of the state has a more blended-to-Northern characteristic. The rest of the state is definitely southern....I am not saying the rest of WV is amongst the most southern of southern states, but it's like people "forget" that there are variations within the South and southern culture. The predominate culture of WV, and especially the predominate culture of the lower ~three-quarters or so, damn sure isnt a "northern" culture...

Old 07-14-2018, 12:19 PM

4,857 posts, read 2,984,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
You posted in Denver forum last week that the weather was great and you had showed a friend around. You made this post after you had changed your location to Clemson.

Anyway, I'm going to stop interacting with you.
Yep. I posted this:

Hey guys, gonna stop by Denver again, with a couple of friends in Texas. Really want them to experience the outdoors. I've been to Red Rocks, Roxborough and Garden of the Gods. We want to take them to RR and GotG for sure. thoughts on Estes Park or Glenwood Springs? We just want to kill a couple of days.

Old 07-14-2018, 12:20 PM

4,857 posts, read 2,984,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Okay? West Virginia is still a southern state and I think, unquestionably so...

The upper quarter or so of the state has a more blended-to-Northern characteristic. The rest of the state is definitely southern....I am not saying the rest of WV is amongst the most southern of southern states, but it's like people "forget" that there are variations within the South and southern culture. The predominate culture of WV, and especially the predominate culture of the lower ~three-quarters or so, damn sure isnt a "northern" culture...
Would agree. Southern Indiana, Illinois and Ohio are probably more southern than they are midwestern as well

Old 07-14-2018, 01:04 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,746,799 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or