U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2018, 12:15 PM

44,651 posts, read 36,106,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Being that the comment you replied to was specifically mentioned Richmond and Tidewater, I'll point out that there is no SEC fandom in those areas, phrases like "ma'am" and "bless your heart" are seldom, if ever, heard, and accents are blended--there are southern accents around and it is far from unique to hear one, but the typical accent in these areas is no longer truly southern; or at the very least, the typical accent is southern-lite with notable northern inflections/influences...

Other than that, I agree with what you said lol...
Interesting how different people experience the same things differently. I'd say it's probably something you're looking for, or not looking for, ya know? I used to live in the Tidewater area and in fact, just came back from a visit there a few weeks ago, and from what I could tell, southern style life seems quite intact, including words like "m'am" and the ubiquitous "bless your heart."

As for SEC fandom, it spreads far beyond the confines of the states that are part of the SEC. I've seen SEC fans all over the US. But of course, it's like driving a certain sort of car, or being pregnant - you don't tend to notice how many other people share your experience till you're part of it yourself.

But carry on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2018, 01:30 PM

29,873 posts, read 27,324,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
This isn't a question of politics - it's a question of lifestyle, vibe, accents, foods, etiquette, personality, etc.

Southerners are from all political walks of life. You can be liberal or conservative and still talk with a southern accent, love an SEC football team, eat southern style foods, say M'am and "Bless your heart," and all that good stuff.
I'm fully aware of that but I'm guessing you didn't notice that the poster I was responding to mentioned politics which is why I said what I said. Maybe you should address this post to him/her.

Old 07-21-2018, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I'm fully aware of that but I'm guessing you didn't notice that the poster I was responding to mentioned politics which is why I said what I said. Maybe you should address this post to him/her.
Nyah, I'm good.

Bless your heart!

Old 07-21-2018, 05:34 PM

4,205 posts, read 2,822,069 times
Quote:
Interesting how different people experience the same things differently. I'd say it's probably something you're looking for, or not looking for, ya know? I used to live in the Tidewater area and in fact, just came back from a visit there a few weeks ago, and from what I could tell, southern style life seems quite intact, including words like "m'am" and the ubiquitous "bless your heart."

As for SEC fandom, it spreads far beyond the confines of the states that are part of the SEC. I've seen SEC fans all over the US. But of course, it's like driving a certain sort of car, or being pregnant - you don't tend to notice how many other people share your experience till you're part of it yourself.

But carry on.
I didnt say Tidewater wasn't a culturally southern place lol...I have actually been very vocal in saying that it is...

SEC fandom isn't a thing here, and I know you know that if you lived here. This is a transient area, so of course you can find individuals here who support the SEC. But SEC schools are not the rooting interest here--I know you are aware of this...

Maybe it depends where in the Tidewater you are accustomed to, then. In the urban core of the Southside--Norfolk and Virginia Beach specifically in the core areas---i can't recall hearing those terms often. But my girlfriend is sitting right here next to me, and she says in the year we have been here, she's heard "bless your heart" from 60+ locals typically, and from transients from all ages from further south (she specifically called out the Carolinas, Georgia, Florida, Texas). And she says she hears "ma'am" and "sir" pretty often, but attributes that to this being a military area (for the record, she works near Oceana and that may have bearing on how often she hears these terms). I work on the southeast side of Norfolk and we live near Downtown VB, so maybe these things color my experiences too...

Anyway, like I said, this is the South. It's not the SEC, bless your heart, typical southern experience, though...

Old 07-21-2018, 05:48 PM

1,004 posts, read 600,277 times
people seem to forget the ACC is another conference in the South, so there may not be as huge ofnan SEC fandom in regions like Tidewater since UVA and VT are ACC schools and have huge fandoms in that region.

Old 07-21-2018, 06:03 PM

Quote:
I didnt say Tidewater wasn't a culturally southern place lol...I have actually been very vocal in saying that it is...

SEC fandom isn't a thing here, and I know you know that if you lived here. This is a transient area, so of course you can find individuals here who support the SEC. But SEC schools are not the rooting interest here--I know you are aware of this...

Maybe it depends where in the Tidewater you are accustomed to, then. In the urban core of the Southside--Norfolk and Virginia Beach specifically in the core areas---i can't recall hearing those terms often. But my girlfriend is sitting right here next to me, and she says in the year we have been here, she's heard "bless your heart" from 60+ locals typically, and from transients from all ages from further south (she specifically called out the Carolinas, Georgia, Florida, Texas). And she says she hears "ma'am" and "sir" pretty often, but attributes that to this being a military area (for the record, she works near Oceana and that may have bearing on how often she hears these terms). I work on the southeast side of Norfolk and we live near Downtown VB, so maybe these things color my experiences too...

Anyway, like I said, this is the South. It's not the SEC, bless your heart, typical southern experience, though...
LOL I don't live in an SEC state either so there you have it. And haven't for at least 25 years. Though I do live in what I would call a southern state. There's more to the south than the SEC, though I know that's hard to believe for some folks.

Bless your heart again.

Old 07-21-2018, 06:41 PM

4,205 posts, read 2,822,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
people seem to forget the ACC is another conference in the South, so there may not be as huge ofnan SEC fandom in regions like Tidewater since UVA and VT are ACC schools and have huge fandoms in that region.
Since the conversation is expanding, the following bears mentioning:

The Tidewater largely favors Virginia Tech, as opposed to UVA having the strongest presence in Central Virginia. VT is not a traditional ACC school (only 14 years as a member), and yes, while the physical location of that university is without a doubt in the South, it is also a 4.5-5 he drive from central Virginia Beach, and many of the supporters of VT athletics out here have never been to Blacksburg and will never go. DC area universities (namely, Georgetown and the Terps) are also popular here, and are more accessible to the population. This relates to our topic of convo very simply. Maryland is an original ACC member, but a lot of you same people dont believe the state of Maryland is southern, and if I tell you there's a measurable UMD following here, what does that say about the population?

Again, VT is the more popular university here but geographically it isnt close to here and it isnt a traditional ACC school, so there is not true-rooted ACC fanbase here. There's a VT fanbase, and a couple DC-area universities fanbase, and a smattering of other places due to the transient nature of the area....

@Kathryn, A&M is an SEC school lololol....bless your poor little heart...

Old 07-21-2018, 07:06 PM

4,839 posts, read 2,973,256 times
Quote:

The Tidewater largely favors Virginia Tech, as opposed to UVA having the strongest presence in Central Virginia. VT is not a traditional ACC school (only 14 years as a member), and yes, while the physical location of that university is without a doubt in the South, it is also a 4.5-5 he drive from central Virginia Beach, and many of the supporters of VT athletics out here have never been to Blacksburg and will never go. DC area universities (namely, Georgetown and the Terps) are also popular here, and are more accessible to the population. This relates to our topic of convo very simply. Maryland is an original ACC member, but a lot of you same people dont believe the state of Maryland is southern, and if I tell you there's a measurable UMD following here, what does that say about the population?

Again, VT is the more popular university here but geographically it isnt close to here and it isnt a traditional ACC school, so there is not true-rooted ACC fanbase here. There's a VT fanbase, and a couple DC-area universities fanbase, and a smattering of other places due to the transient nature of the area....

I think the flagship programs of the ACC, are decidedly south, but yeah, I never viewed the ACC to be as southern as the SEC. And yep, A & M is a very SEC school these days. They chant it at everyone of their games. When your sports programs suck, you gotta root for your conference. LOL. Bless their hearts.

Old 07-21-2018, 07:21 PM

Quote:

Oh, no wonder I never think about it being an SEC school....

Old 07-21-2018, 09:08 PM

29,873 posts, read 27,324,185 times
Quote:
Nyah, I'm good.

Bless your heart!
That's not quite how "bless your heart" works in this instance (or when you said Texas isn't an SEC state) but thanks for playing. Unfortunately we're out of consolation prizes right now but get home safely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or