U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2018, 10:18 PM

6,059 posts, read 3,379,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicDrifter View Post
There is still 'Southernness' to be found in South Florida - it's a lot more diluted than in North Florida but it's there. If you go in the rural areas of South Florida, by the everglades, you pick up noticeable southern characteristics in the communities - from their accents, food choices, pace of living. The only city in Florida that has been completely diluted of its Southernness is Miami but even in Miami if you go down to Homestead or up to Palm Beach county, you begin to see Southern elements around the edges. Florida is a Southern state that has been transformed through immigration and transplantation, but it's still Southern in her foundation.
I remember when I was at Miami Dade College there was a student who was a Miami native, Colombian girl who spent time in New Jersey and she commented that folks in New Jersey described her accent as "Latin with a southern influence". Interesting way to look at it.

Miami is a very Hispanic city, but Hispanic is not an antonym to southerness. If anything, Hispanic culture is more southern than northern in America. After all no state is more Hispanic than Texas (except maybe New Mexico?) From a hip hop standpoint, Miami is DIRTY SOUTH just like Atlanta, Memphis, New Orleans and Houston. Back in the mid and late 2000s, the dirty south hip hop scene was jumpin' and Miami, was one at the forefront.

I am not big into hip hop but I can tell you the most popular rappers in Miami since at least the 2000s have been southern rappers. From Florida and also adjacent Georgia, nearby Louisana and Texas. Pitbull has a southern twang particularly when he raps. He became watered down in the 2010s as he did these horrible pop song guest verses but his older stuff from the early 2000s, it's all dirty south.

Miami is unique in its heavily Cuban and other Latin/Caribbean influence but theres no reason this can't be seen as simply a unique and distinct part of the southern identity. I wonder if by the year 2100 if Cuban-American culture in South Florida would be seen just as much as part of southern culture as Cajun and Creole culture are in Louisana. I have always seen Florida as similar to Louisiana since I was a kid. Hell both have a large Canary Island diaspora and a strong Afro-Caribbean connection to boot and a history of French and Spanish colonialism. (Less French for Florida obviously)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2018, 04:28 AM

4,209 posts, read 2,823,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
I remember when I was at Miami Dade College there was a student who was a Miami native, Colombian girl who spent time in New Jersey and she commented that folks in New Jersey described her accent as "Latin with a southern influence". Interesting way to look at it.

Miami is a very Hispanic city, but Hispanic is not an antonym to southerness. If anything, Hispanic culture is more southern than northern in America. After all no state is more Hispanic than Texas (except maybe New Mexico?) From a hip hop standpoint, Miami is DIRTY SOUTH just like Atlanta, Memphis, New Orleans and Houston. Back in the mid and late 2000s, the dirty south hip hop scene was jumpin' and Miami, was one at the forefront.

I am not big into hip hop but I can tell you the most popular rappers in Miami since at least the 2000s have been southern rappers. From Florida and also adjacent Georgia, nearby Louisana and Texas. Pitbull has a southern twang particularly when he raps. He became watered down in the 2010s as he did these horrible pop song guest verses but his older stuff from the early 2000s, it's all dirty south.

Miami is unique in its heavily Cuban and other Latin/Caribbean influence but theres no reason this can't be seen as simply a unique and distinct part of the southern identity. I wonder if by the year 2100 if Cuban-American culture in South Florida would be seen just as much as part of southern culture as Cajun and Creole culture are in Louisana. I have always seen Florida as similar to Louisiana since I was a kid. Hell both have a large Canary Island diaspora and a strong Afro-Caribbean connection to boot and a history of French and Spanish colonialism. (Less French for Florida obviously)
Preach, Badger!

And Miami rappers have always been southern, way back to the 2Live days...

Miami is in the South, so its a southern city. It's very unique to the rest of the South but I have yet to meet a single Miamian (and I've met white, black, and Latin Miamians) who didnt display southern traits themselves or deny their inclusion as part of the South...

Old 07-22-2018, 12:03 PM

6,059 posts, read 3,379,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Preach, Badger!

And Miami rappers have always been southern, way back to the 2Live days...

Miami is in the South, so its a southern city. It's very unique to the rest of the South but I have yet to meet a single Miamian (and I've met white, black, and Latin Miamians) who didnt display southern traits themselves or deny their inclusion as part of the South...

Right, and listen to lots of rap songs from southern rappers ABOUT the south, Miami is one of those places that gets lots of mention
https://youtu.be/r4Zj7Mxq5iU

And of course Miami's unofficial anthem. Will Smith, move over lol https://youtu.be/4RdGnaZgEV8
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or