Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2013, 04:56 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,921,505 times

Advertisements

Delta State in Nigeria. It is only 6 degrees north of the Equator, and yet there is no southern charm or culture whatsoever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2013, 05:03 PM

96 posts, read 133,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
Florida*. N. Fla is pretty Southern, but the rest of the state is so un-Southern it drowns it out.

*Disclaimer: I do not consider Missouri, Maryland, or Delaware to be Southern states
Yes I agree both Maryland and Delaware are Northeastern states while Missouri is a Midwestern state. Some say that all three are southern which I could understand since they are border states. Now the southern areas of those states are probably more southern in culture

Old 12-26-2013, 10:26 PM

2,330 posts, read 4,399,777 times
Maryland is a Southern state....

Whatever the hell these Maryland Hating Good l' Boy's is talking about it ain't a southern state is a bunch of Bill S--t.......

Old 12-27-2013, 08:32 AM

375 posts, read 799,712 times
I'd say the least would be Florida, followed by either Texas and then Virginia. Texas to me is southern in the east, but its more what i'd call southern influenced. Southern folkways moved west, but the people also became more western. Florida is pretty obvious as to why Florida is not very southern. Virginia will always be southern, but its becoming more or less a culturally mid atlantic state. Today it is more like PA with liberal cities and conservative rural areas.

Old 12-27-2013, 08:40 AM

1,214 posts, read 1,695,172 times
I would say Florida. We are part of the South and do have some Southern Culture. But we have a lot more Spanish/Caribbean cultural influence that the rest of the South, and the rest of country, doesn't have.

(I know other states have Lot's of Mexicans, but Florida is very different.)

Old 12-27-2013, 02:00 PM

In all actuality, the answer is both Texas and Oklahoma, because both states can also be considered the Southwest, and there are too many rugged, wild west frontier influences in the two states to even be considered southern to the extent Florida is. All of Florida, even South Florida, has populations that practice southern customs and mannerisms. I mean, there are areas of Texas that look like this:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...n-1024x768.jpg

http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...62d6d13bdc.jpg

How can it be more southern than Florida?

Old 12-27-2013, 02:13 PM

1,660 posts, read 2,532,642 times
Maryland, Oklahoma, Texas, Florida in that order

Old 12-27-2013, 02:18 PM

784 posts, read 1,980,857 times
I would say culturally, Florida, but there are large portions of the state that retain its Southernness.

Old 12-27-2013, 02:28 PM

Culturally, Texas and Oklahoma have lots of Southwestern influences that can be found even in the Eastern sections of their states. Generally, once you cross the Mississippi River, you leave the south, and enter the frontier.

Old 12-27-2013, 03:46 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,594,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
In all actuality, the answer is both Texas and Oklahoma, because both states can also be considered the Southwest, and there are too many rugged, wild west frontier influences in the two states to even be considered southern to the extent Florida is. All of Florida, even South Florida, has populations that practice southern customs and mannerisms. I mean, there are areas of Texas that look like this:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...n-1024x768.jpg

http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...62d6d13bdc.jpg

How can it be more southern than Florida?
Your first pic is Monument Valley, in Arizona. Been there many, many times and would recognize it anywhere. The ONLY part of TX that even barely resembles Monument Valley is a single mountain: El Capitan in the Guadalupe mountains, which is on the New Mexico border and barely even in the state of Texas. Even then, it's not as scenic as Monument Valley. Most of Trans-Pecos Texas looks more like this:

Which Southern State is the Least Southern?-60558-004-28f4f1e7.jpg

As for the second pic, the only place you're going to find sand dunes outside of the gulf coast beaches is the Monahans sand hills near Midland-Odessa, which is an extremely small and isolated area that few Texans even know exists. It's not even in the true desert part of West Texas either. It's in the Permian basin, which is semi-arid Steppe.

Also, plenty of people in both Trans-Pecos TX and the Oklahoma panhandle "practice southern customs and mannerisms". Probably even more so than in South Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.