Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2014, 03:19 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,853,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
As usual, CookieSkoon & TexasReb are spot on in this discussion. Along with the settlement patterns of OK/TX alluded to by CookieSkoon (vast majority were Southerners) the speech patterns, religious norms (Oklahoma is almost a 1/3 Southern Baptist!....just behind Bama and Mississippi I believe given the population), food choices and customs (Pecan Pie and Sweet Tea anyone?), crazed college football culture, and overall feel and culture, it's impossible to deny the Southern tendencies of both of these great states. Are they different from other Southern states? Sure. However, it can easily be argued that every Southern state is different from every other Southern state. As has been shown in these threads over and over, there is no one monolithic Southern culture throughout the South: from Oklahoma and Texas to Tennessee to Mississippi to Alabama/Georgia and all the way up to Richmond.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
Yes, all areas in the census defined South have the commonality of exhibiting the cultural practices you stated. But what I say is, that out of all those areas, I feel Texas and Oklahoma are the least Southern, especially in the western portions of those states.
Not true. Speaking for Delaware real quick:

1) They do not talk like Southerners.
2) They are not predominately Southern Baptist
3) They do not eat grits, rice, collard greens or other food typically associated with the South. (Delaware does eat a lot of fried chicken and blue crabs, though).
4) Sweet tea is not common is Delaware, and I don't believe pecan pie is a big thing.
5) Despite having essentially one major university (two if you count the HBCU), Delaware does not have a huge college football culture. Even during the season the team made the Div. IAA championship, fans would routinely leave at halftime.

Quote:
There was just a poster on this thread who was very insistent on Delaware and Maryland being in the south, calling out anyone who said otherwise as "haters."
But no one takes that guy seriously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2014, 03:32 PM

2,330 posts, read 4,399,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
Based off your opinion then Virginia and North Carolina are Northern States too........
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoolboy Mike View Post
No they ain't...
The Devil is a D*mn Lie.....

Old 01-25-2014, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
Virginia is most certainly a southern state, and southern when you speak in terms of culture. It makes no sense that because DC suburbs have spilled into northern VA that VA is somehow not southern. When you have I guess 95 counties and lets say a handful of those counties that border MD or DC that that makes VA not southern does not make sense. It is kind of like saying that the Bahamas or Mexico are paradise when all you do is visit the resort.

I have traveled thru VA and it is the South.

It just goes to show those that visit or live in VA in the NOVA area and who stay in that area is all they know about VA.
What does not make sense is the good ol' boys in the deep south are freaking bitter to the point that they deny Maryland and Delaware of being Southern States.

Old 01-25-2014, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tezcatlipoca View Post
MD. Just look at how much argument there is on CD about how it should no longer count as southern despite its history.
Bunch of miserable haters that can't get over the freaking civil war that they got to take their hatred and frustration out on the state of Maryland by denying it as being a Southern State......

Old 01-25-2014, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
Florida definitely. It doesn't strike me as culturally southern like say South carolina, or Mississippi.
South Florida is like the Northern end of the Caribbean......

Old 01-25-2014, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I've lived in both Florida and Maryland so your assumption is wrong. I was just in Florida two months ago to visit family and I live just over the border from Maryland. I definitely have first hand experience in both states. You cannot with a straight face tell me Salisbury, Frederick, or the Eastern shore is more Southern in feel than Pensacola, Tallahassee, or even Jacksonville. There are more people in Florida that would identify with being Southern than Maryland. Blacks in Florida pretty much do the same things they do in Georgia, the Carolina's, or Alabama. There is no way MD has more Southern culture than Florida.
Just because you live in DC or VA does not make your opinion about Maryland not being Southern a factual statement......

You can not Judge Maryland based on DC and Baltimore.....

Old 01-25-2014, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
LOL Ynoh?

I have read so many posts of yours and you seem to have an AMAZING capacity to contradict your own previous posts!

Do you HONESTLY believe -- just as starters -- that Maryland and Delaware are "more Southern" -- whatever one means by that as to criteria -- than Texas and Oklahoma? This is just flat out laughable. Unless, of course, you are just trying to get a reaction and attention from someone!

But ok, to be fair? Please state your rationale for this opinion.
Yours is definately an opinion especially when most of Texas is views as mostly part of the Southwest and combines with Mexican Culture which makes the label TexMex or Texico....

Old 01-25-2014, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Did you really just put West Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, and NoVa above Texas and Oklahoma?

Have you ever been to TX and OK? Evidently not.

Also What is so "not southern" about South Louisiana exactly? It's not all New Orleans you know.
Just like Maryland is not ALL Baltimore and DC........

Old 01-25-2014, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
That "western aura" is only in the western portions of the state.

Of course you will find Mexican influence along the Mexican border. South France isn't Spain, North Japan isn't Russia, south Texas isn't Mexico.
Texas was part of Mexico before the American vs Mexican War of 1846-48......

Old 01-25-2014, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Yeh, you don't want to be linked up with $mk8795.....he's the laughin' stalk of this forum.

(Unless you are $mk8795?............hmmmmmmm?)
No you geographically challenged bitter folx are the laughing stalk outside of the deep south. Just living up to the old school good ol' boy stereotype.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.