Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2015, 08:57 AM

2,823 posts, read 4,488,321 times

Advertisements

The Research Triangle is southern if you're truly familiar with the area. If you grew up here and looked closely, you'll realize it's still definitely southern. However, it's kinda "suburban southern" over redneck-ish/rural southern. Also, there's no denying we have lots of transplants but many of them see NC as their adopted home, as opposed to complaining about the South and wishing they were back in New Jersey. Still, if you want to call us one of the least southern metros outside Florida and Texas, I'm not going to argue with you. Even Charlotte strikes me as much more southern than Raleigh/Durham.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2015, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony69 View Post
North Carolina is less southern than I had imagined.
Where did you go? Cary?

Old 04-24-2015, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
South Florida and urban areas of central Florida are not southern. The rest of Florida is southern.
Northern Virginia isn't southern but the rest of the state is.
The North Carolina Research Triangle is for the most part not southern. The remaining areas of North Carolina are southern.
Western Texas isn't southern. Same with Oklahoma and Missouri. Oklahoma and Missouri are southern lite.
I guess this is kinda accurate, but if you want to call the Research Triangle and Northern Virginia not southern, you better include Richmond. Also, wouldn't Atlanta be in the same group as the Research Triangle? They have tons of transplants down there in the Atlanta metro, although I get that it's in Georgia. But anyway, what you said isn't far from the truth.

Old 04-24-2015, 09:08 AM

144 posts, read 205,010 times
The major cities in Texas, Houston, Dallas, Austin, San Antonio are not southern. It's southwestern. While the cities have their differences, for example, the snob factor in Dallas, each city is pretty similar. I lived in the South and lived in major cities in Texas, and they may have some southern feel to them, but they have more of a Mexican feel than southern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfoe View Post
Houston is southern. Central Texas is southern as well.

Old 04-24-2015, 09:39 AM

I don't really see how the major cities of Texas feel more Hispanic with the exception of San Antonio. They probably don't feel too southern, but wouldn't they feel more "anywhere suburban USA" as opposed to Hispanic? Dallas is a great example, it's largely suburban in general.

Old 04-24-2015, 12:01 PM

1,624 posts, read 2,034,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGarrison View Post
The major cities in Texas, Houston, Dallas, Austin, San Antonio are not southern. It's southwestern. While the cities have their differences, for example, the snob factor in Dallas, each city is pretty similar. I lived in the South and lived in major cities in Texas, and they may have some southern feel to them, but they have more of a Mexican feel than southern.
Have you been to Texas? Only the trans pecos region is southwestern in looks and culture. East Texas is the deep south central Texas is southern as well. I'm from the southeast. And most if Texas is southern especially in the black community

Old 04-25-2015, 10:03 PM

2,995 posts, read 3,098,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfoe View Post
Most of Texas is southern especially in the black community
I disagree with "most of Texas is Southern" and I am from the Southeast and live in Texas. I especially disagree that the "especially in the black community" part makes "most of Texas Southern," because black communities are Southern in many Northern cities too, like St. Louis, Chicago, and Milwaukee, so that's not saying much.

Old 04-25-2015, 10:20 PM

2,995 posts, read 3,098,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGarrison View Post
I wouldn't call all of the major cities in Texas Southwestern, because when you use the term Southwestern, most people think about places in the desert, like El Paso, Phoenix, and places in states like New Mexico. But most of Texas in general has way too much Western, Hispanic---and in the case of areas of like Dallas, Midwestern and Plains influence---to just be labeled "Southern". That's why to me and most Texans who you meet outside of City-Data, Texas is just Texas, and that's really the best way to describe it. Texas is way to big of a state to just lump in the South, especially with all the different mixes of influences from so many other non-Southern regions as I already stated, and especially in the big cities like Dallas and Houston that are so diverse and have so much international presence and influence.

By the way, I'm convinced that the only reason a lot of people from outside of Texas even entertain the thought of Texas being a strictly Southern state anyway is because native Texans are known for having Southern accents. But with so many transplants and international folks moving to and living in Texas now, it's becoming harder and harder to find Texans with Southern/Texas accents in many parts of Texas these days. At least in most of the big cities, and especially when it comes to people under the age of 50.

Old 04-26-2015, 12:10 AM

1,291 posts, read 1,522,213 times
Texas is as much southern as Florida and Louisiana is. All 3 have parts that are like completely other countries and have other spots in it that feel like you're living in the 1960s. Texas has the expansive planet of Mars between SA and EP, Louisiana has the yat pack mon cher yaya's along the whole coast that make you feel like you're in the French amazons or something, Florida has little Cuba. But really, the majority of the population of all 3 states live in what feels like the south.

Old 04-26-2015, 10:11 AM

1,624 posts, read 2,034,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
I disagree with "most of Texas is Southern" and I am from the Southeast and live in Texas. I especially disagree that the "especially in the black community" part makes "most of Texas Southern," because black communities are Southern in many Northern cities too, like St. Louis, Chicago, and Milwaukee, so that's not saying much.
Lol Chicago, St Louis as southern lol OK. Try going to visit Waco, Florence, hearne and Tell that ain't southern. Those areas are in Central Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.