Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2016, 07:38 PM

469 posts, read 576,867 times

Advertisements

From my personal experience, Florida. It is technically a Southern state (and there is plenty of southern culture to be found) but it has a TON of influence from other areas. I actually find West Virginia, a northern state, to be quite a bit more "southern" than Florida is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2016, 09:51 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,542,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
ok

i am going to implement a new policy on myself to not interact with the non residents of the south who say negative things about the south. Much of that is political I think.

you can't say LBJ, FDR, Woodrow Wilson were conservatives and the south voted for them for president. They were liberals, as liberals as Obama on economics and tax policy etc. The Democrat party owned the south in its racist era.

the point that I'm making is that 'less southern' should mean more conservative, not more liberal, if historical accuracy is desired.

this will be my last comment on this topic.
Dude, I love the south. But every place has negatives as well as positives. Censoring that out of your conversations will only narrow your mind.

Old 06-04-2016, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvtraveler View Post
From my personal experience, Florida. It is technically a Southern state (and there is plenty of southern culture to be found) but it has a TON of influence from other areas. I actually find West Virginia, a northern state, to be quite a bit more "southern" than Florida is.
Agreed. In terms of how wide-spread the southern staples are (accents particularly), WV certainly has a larger area than Florida.

Though it's only fair to mention that there are a lot of native born Floridians with no southern accent because of where they grew up.

Old 06-04-2016, 10:08 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,860,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Agreed. In terms of how wide-spread the southern staples are (accents particularly), WV certainly has a larger area than Florida.

Though it's only fair to mention that there are a lot of native born Floridians with no southern accent because of where they grew up.
West Virginia is not a Northern state by any means. The northern third of it is Northeastern...the rest of the state, the vast majority of it, is Southern.

Old 06-04-2016, 10:25 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,056,183 times
Florida

Old 06-04-2016, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
West Virginia is not a Northern state by any means.
Yes it is. It's not the Deep South. It was a Union state in the Civil War. It's Northern. Mid Atlantic, Appalachian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by U146;44300693[B
The northern third of it is Northeastern[/b]...the rest of the state, the vast majority of it, is Southern.
Yes, it's exactly like Jersey.

/end sarcasm.

Have you ever been here?

Old 06-04-2016, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Yes, it's exactly like Jersey.

/end sarcasm.

Have you ever been here?
haha To be fair, not a whole lot of places are like Jersey (for better or worse).

U146 is a poster who comes off as an arm-chair expert a lot. I must have offended them at some point because they seem to really enjoy arguing with me even if it isn't necessary.

Random fun fact: There's a town in the middle of Pennsylvania called Jersey Shore.

Old 06-04-2016, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
haha To be fair, not a whole lot of places are like Jersey (for better or worse).

U146 is a poster who comes off as an arm-chair expert a lot. I must have offended them at some point because they seem to really enjoy arguing with me even if it isn't necessary.

Random fun fact: There's a town in the middle of Pennsylvania called Jersey Shore.

He's wrong. Northern does not=Northeastern. There is NO part of West Virginia that is Northeastern. The northern panhandle, in particular, has a sort of Midwestern feel to it, but it's not Northeastern.

Old 06-04-2016, 11:16 PM

Quote:
He's wrong. Northern does not=Northeastern. There is NO part of West Virginia that is Northeastern. The northern panhandle, in particular, has a sort of Midwestern feel to it, but it's not Northeastern.
Aye.

That line between northeastern and Midwestern is so broad and blurry. There people as far east as Rochester, NY claiming to be more Midwestern. Then you have people in Illinois claiming Ohio is northeastern.

I tend to think of northern Appalachia as its own thing sandwiched between both. Kind of a big ol' mixing bowl of elements.

I also tend to think of the northeast in terms of the coast and New England. As far west as I live there's not a lot of native similarities to the Bos-Wash. A fair bit of distrust of its people though.

You'd be pretty busy finding central PA and south-central NY folks who think of themselves as being just like Connecticut.

On the flip side, there is a lot of influence in the names due to common origins. But that goes out into the Midwest as well.

And truthfully a good bit of the Iroquois area here in NY is a unique region unto itself with Canadian influences.

Old 06-04-2016, 11:45 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,245,632 times
Quote:
Yes it is. It's not the Deep South. It was a Union state in the Civil War.
This is a common misconception, it was separated from Virginia by the government without the consent of the people, less than 25% of West Virginians voted for the statehood. This is the area of West Virginia that voted for the Confederacy=

Even in many of those counties that voted against secession they gave half their men to the Confederacy. Half of West Virginia's soldiers were Confederate, the only border state that did not give most of its men to the Union.

The monuments at Gettysburg are a great deception, they commemorate maybe 400 West Virginians in Union blue, but there is no monument to the approximately 3,000 West Virginians in gray who fought there. The state was created by force of arms, not by most of the people of WV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.