Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2016, 11:53 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,536,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobilee View Post
This is a common misconception, it was separated from Virginia by the government without the consent of the people, less than 25% of West Virginians voted for the statehood. This is the area of West Virginia that voted for the Confederacy=

Even in many of those counties that voted against secession they gave half their men to the Confederacy. Half of West Virginia's soldiers were Confederate, the only border state that did not give most of its men to the Union.

The monuments at Gettysburg are a great deception, they commemorate maybe 400 West Virginians in Union blue, but there is no monument to the approximately 3,000 West Virginians in gray who fought there. The state was created by force of arms, not by most of the people of WV.
I have always been curious exactly why the southeastern most counties were included in the new state. What about them made them appealing to the union versus their neighbors who stayed in Virginia proper.

I suspect force of arms was not the exclusive method in which these counties became union territory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2016, 12:01 AM

1,342 posts, read 3,244,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
I have always been curious exactly why the southeastern most counties were included in the new state. What about them made them appealing to the union versus their neighbors who stayed in Virginia proper.

I suspect force of arms was not the exclusive method in which these counties became union territory.
It was purely for territory, they picked counties from Virginia like chocolates from a Whitman sampler.

I made a short video of West Virginians at Gettysburg if anyone one cares to see it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNWxqIUdbfo

Old 06-05-2016, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobilee View Post
It was purely for territory, they picked counties from Virginia like chocolates from a Whitman sampler.

I made a short video of West Virginians at Gettysburg if anyone one cares to see it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNWxqIUdbfo
Very interesting.

Old 06-05-2016, 07:46 AM

1,112 posts, read 1,054,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvtraveler View Post
He's wrong. Northern does not=Northeastern. There is NO part of West Virginia that is Northeastern. The northern panhandle, in particular, has a sort of Midwestern feel to it, but it's not Northeastern.
Just curious, what is your opinion on the area around Martinsburg when it comes to 'southern-ness'?

Old 06-05-2016, 08:00 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,857,521 times
Quote:
Yes it is. It's not the Deep South. It was a Union state in the Civil War. It's Northern. Mid Atlantic, Appalachian.

Yes, it's exactly like Jersey.

/end sarcasm.

Have you ever been here?
It's more like Pennsylvania than the South. That's Northeastern

Old 06-05-2016, 09:36 AM

469 posts, read 576,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ialmostforgot View Post
Just curious, what is your opinion on the area around Martinsburg when it comes to 'southern-ness'?
It's becoming basically a sort of metro DC in regards to receiving a lot of people from that area. I wouldn't call it Southern, but it's not Northeastern either. I do work with a lady from Berkeley County though, who is definitely what I'd consider s Southerner FWIW.

Last edited by wvtraveler; 06-05-2016 at 10:48 AM..

Old 06-05-2016, 09:39 AM

469 posts, read 576,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
It's more like Pennsylvania than the South. That's Northeastern
Minus the abundance of accents that are much more similar to what you'll find down South than in NY/NJ/MA/etc. Or the full Protestant churches every Sunday, the love of BBQing and beer, the worship of college football, the rampant gun and hunting culture, laid back way of life, etc. I was born and raised in the South and Morgantown doesn't feel all that different from home to me, especially when you go a few miles outside of town.

On the topic of PA, is southwestern Pennsylvania really all that similar to NYC and Jersey? Boston, Connecticut? Doesn't seem like it to me. I'm certainly not calling it "Southern", but I think it's kind of it's own thing.

Old 06-05-2016, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Minus the abundance of accents that are much more similar to what you'll find down South than in NY/NJ/MA/etc. Or the full Protestant churches every Sunday, the love of BBQing and beer, the worship of college football, the rampant gun and hunting culture, laid back way of life, etc. I was born and raised in the South and Morgantown doesn't feel all that different from home to me, especially when you go a few miles outside of town.

On the topic of PA, is southwestern Pennsylvania really all that similar to NYC and Jersey? Boston, Connecticut? Doesn't seem like it to me. I'm certainly not calling it "Southern", but I think it's kind of it's own thing.
Actually aside from college football (admittedly hockey and Nascar are the sports of choice up here), everything else listed is pretty common in this part of NY.

Hunting is essentially a religion around here and even more so in PA; fishing too. On guns you'd be hard pressed to find a town in the southern tier that doesn't have "repeal the safe act" and similar signs everywhere. Our governor would not be exactly safe if he were found out here, if you know what I mean. At least half the churches here are Baptist.

But especially BBQ! It's rare to drive down a traveled road in this area and not see one or more BBQ stands on the side. And our local specialty as well, spiedies. Which everybody should try some time.

Laid back exists in spots. Some towns are in a rush, typically the bigger ones like Ithaca or the tourist heavy ones like Watkins Glen. Others are super sleepy like Townsend, Millport or Alpine. This area is definitely a mixture of paces.

All in all I would say this area has more in common southwards. Not so much that WV is like NY, but this area of NY is more like WV. If you get what I mean.

The majority of this state outside of the southern tier is more rural New England/Midwestern than Pennsylvanian. And then of course the coast is home to the self-important parasite that is NYC.

Old 06-05-2016, 11:58 AM

102 posts, read 117,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
And then of course the coast is home to the self-important parasite that is NYC.
Ouch

West Virginia tends to be a mishmash of different regions of the US. In terms of influence, I'd say it's about 40% southern, 40% midwest, and 20% northeast

Old 06-08-2016, 03:37 AM

1,076 posts, read 1,394,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyNY View Post
Ouch

West Virginia tends to be a mishmash of different regions of the US. In terms of influence, I'd say it's about 40% southern, 40% midwest, and 20% northeast
A mishmash....West Virginia is more like the " Bigoted Hillbilly " center of the Universe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.