Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2016, 12:55 PM

345 posts, read 526,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
Or Dallas. That map is definitely missing Texas. And Georgia should be dark green.
Exactly. Most of Texas has southern roots. Blows my mind when people say texas is western.

And Georgia is one of the most southern states ever. you're right. this map is bs lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2016, 01:26 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,737,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funtraveler1 View Post
I'd say Florida...or oklahoma...or kentucky, to be honest im not 100% sure. No it's not Texas (Except you're talking about the western part). Virginia is southern af how are people mentioning that state?!
Oklahoma is VERY Southern except for the far western panhandle where nobody lives. There is very little difference between most of Oklahoma culturally and the Ozark area of Arkansas and northern Louisiana i.e. the Duck Dynasty culture.

Old 09-22-2016, 03:34 PM

37,795 posts, read 41,491,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
Or Dallas. That map is definitely missing Texas. And Georgia should be dark green.
Nah it shouldn't. At the least, Georgia is at least as Southern as SC, if not a little less, and SC isn't quite as Southern as AL, MS, and LA by a few measures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funtraveler1 View Post
Exactly. Most of Texas has southern roots. Blows my mind when people say texas is western.

And Georgia is one of the most southern states ever. you're right. this map is bs lol
Outside of the exclusion of Texas, this map is pretty much spot on I'd say. I think Kentucky could either be tier 2 or 3 though, since it has Midwestern influences due to being a border state.

Old 09-22-2016, 03:44 PM

97 posts, read 121,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Nah it shouldn't. At the least, Georgia is at least as Southern as SC, if not a little less, and SC isn't quite as Southern as AL, MS, and LA by a few measures.

Outside of the exclusion of Texas, this map is pretty much spot on I'd say. I think Kentucky could either be tier 2 or 3 though, since it has Midwestern influences due to being a border state.
I agree. Texas is a southern state it should be added. and Kentucky is more southern tho i see what you saying tho.

Old 09-22-2016, 06:42 PM

4,345 posts, read 2,734,052 times
Why would the map include Oklahoma but not Texas?

Oklahoma, and Arkansas and Northern Louisiana feel pretty much the same as North Texas.

Houston, Beaumont, Could be anywhere in Southern Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, The Florida Panhandle. Lufkin, Nacogdoches, up to Tyler ect feels like just about anywhere in the south.

Texas where 85% of the population lives feel very much as southern as its neighbors.

Old 09-23-2016, 09:56 AM

5,542 posts, read 9,437,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Why would the map include Oklahoma but not Texas?

Oklahoma, and Arkansas and Northern Louisiana feel pretty much the same as North Texas.

Houston, Beaumont, Could be anywhere in Southern Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, The Florida Panhandle. Lufkin, Nacogdoches, up to Tyler ect feels like just about anywhere in the south.

Texas where 85% of the population lives feel very much as southern as its neighbors.
Agreed.

The OP may have kept Texas out for the Tejano culture of south & southwest Texas.

Old 09-23-2016, 10:05 AM

20,501 posts, read 33,317,609 times
On that map, I would put Texas as tier 2 with an argument for tier 3. Georgia should be tier 1. South Carolina as well.

Old 09-23-2016, 10:30 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,737,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Agreed.

The OP may have kept Texas out for the Tejano culture of south & southwest Texas.
Yeah, Texas is a very diverse state, with most of the state east of I-35 being Southern but it becomes less so as you go west of I-35.

Oklahoma on the other hand has more in common with Mississippi than it does West Texas, with the exception of the far western panhandle (and since not many people live out there it doesn't get factored into the overall culture of the state). The lack of economic growth in Oklahoma has left its Southernness somewhat undiluted. I would be willing to say OKC is more "Southern" culturally in 2016 than Atlanta.

Old 09-23-2016, 10:54 AM

37,795 posts, read 41,491,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Georgia should be tier 1. South Carolina as well.
If that's the case, I think Arkansas should be tier 1 also.

Old 09-23-2016, 11:30 AM

20,501 posts, read 33,317,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
If that's the case, I think Arkansas should be tier 1 also.
I could see that. Though, Northwest Arkansas may sway Arkansas to tier 2 for some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.