Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 12:36 AM

4,516 posts, read 5,088,723 times

Advertisements

What a super long and old thread... but an interesting one. Kudos to the OP...

I would go with the general consensus: Florida, but with a caveat: depends on what part of Florida. It is a large and very diverse state. My travel has only taken me to eastern Florida (Atlantic Ocean) coastal cities: no Orlando or Gulf. It's true, if it wasn't for its absolute flatness, South Florida could easily be mistaken for California, esp Southern Cal (the look, the vibe, the beaches, Spanish-mission architecture, pastel-building colors, the diversity with lots large Latino populations, etc...) which is about as Northern in attitude as any state. South Florida, as was well established in the infamous Bush-Gore (hanging chads) Bush (se)lection of 2000, S. Florida is decidedly blue/liberal even with the historically heavy Cuban population (and as several political watchers have pointed out, younger Cubans tend to be much less the anti-Communist, right-wing hawks as their Castro-escaping parents and grandparents).

Daytona and Jacksonville are totally different stories. I only spent 24 hours in Jacksonville years ago on business, but spent a week in Daytona after winning a beach-front condo raffle. Daytona is very conservative and redneck-y. It's THE home of NASCAR and the whole Confederacy thing is a big deal there. Amazingly at along A1A there were several beach shops with sporting various swimwear, even bikinis, with the Stars & Bars emblazoned on them... Needless to say, although we enjoyed our stay and there were a number of friendly folks there, South Florida is much more my cup of tea.

Virginia would rank as my second, but only the D.C. suburbs which are liberal/progressive. The rest of Virginia is steeped in the south, even the Tidewater area which has become increasingly urban in recent decades. Of course Richmond was the capital of the Confederacy...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2018, 04:43 AM

5,819 posts, read 5,618,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
Virginia would rank as my second, but only the D.C. suburbs which are liberal/progressive. The rest of Virginia is steeped in the south, even the Tidewater area which has become increasingly urban in recent decades. Of course Richmond was the capital of the Confederacy...

Old 07-20-2018, 02:21 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,390,618 times
If you are talking about politics, why not just say liberal rather than 'less southern' and conservative rather than 'southern'. Southern is a geographic expression.

And the Confederates were not Republicans or conservatives.

Old 07-20-2018, 02:41 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,951,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Lol.

Old 07-20-2018, 07:41 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,922,565 times
Florida definitely.

Old 07-20-2018, 07:46 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,890,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
It's true, if it wasn't for its absolute flatness, South Florida could easily be mistaken for California, esp Southern Cal (the look, the vibe, the beaches, Spanish-mission architecture, pastel-building colors, the diversity with lots large Latino populations, etc...) which is about as Northern in attitude as any state.
Two big differences though are that SoCal has a large Asian presence while southern Florida does not, and there is more diversity within the Black population of southern Florida (e.g., Haitians, Jamaicans, Bahamians, etc.). But yes, the two areas do have many similarities otherwise.

Quote:
If you're trying to say that Tidewater and Richmond are conservative strongholds, you'd be wrong. Simply saying "Richmond was the capital of the Confederacy" says absolutely nothing about the politics of the region today.

Old 07-21-2018, 06:19 AM

511 posts, read 399,227 times
I'd say Florida is the least southern state.

Old 07-21-2018, 07:00 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,844,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post

If you're trying to say that Tidewater and Richmond are conservative strongholds, you'd be wrong. Simply saying "Richmond was the capital of the Confederacy" says absolutely nothing about the politics of the region today.
This isn't a question of politics - it's a question of lifestyle, vibe, accents, foods, etiquette, personality, etc.

Southerners are from all political walks of life. You can be liberal or conservative and still talk with a southern accent, love an SEC football team, eat southern style foods, say M'am and "Bless your heart," and all that good stuff.

Old 07-21-2018, 07:43 AM

25,549 posts, read 17,251,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
It's still southern to this day. The DC area may be less southern, but Baltimore and the rest of MD is still very southern.
OK. That made me spill coffee on my keyboard.

Old 07-21-2018, 10:58 AM

5,819 posts, read 5,618,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
This isn't a question of politics - it's a question of lifestyle, vibe, accents, foods, etiquette, personality, etc.

Southerners are from all political walks of life. You can be liberal or conservative and still talk with a southern accent, love an SEC football team, eat southern style foods, say M'am and "Bless your heart," and all that good stuff.
Being that the comment you replied to was specifically mentioned Richmond and Tidewater, I'll point out that there is no SEC fandom in those areas, phrases like "ma'am" and "bless your heart" are seldom, if ever, heard, and accents are blended--there are southern accents around and it is far from unique to hear one, but the typical accent in these areas is no longer truly southern; or at the very least, the typical accent is southern-lite with notable northern inflections/influences...

Other than that, I agree with what you said lol...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.