U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 11:35 AM

2,935 posts, read 4,773,798 times

Advertisements

ya i finished out HS in henderson. everyone i still talk to from school has moved back to CA due to lack of work in vegas. everyone. even me right now, i'm in CA for work. very few economic opportunities in vegas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 11:00 PM

1,871 posts, read 1,670,855 times
I will share my thoughts on Scottsdale. Having lived in the city of Tempe, which is just south of Scottsdale, one thing that I would take into account is the heat. You will get that in Henderson, NV as well. The heat really drains you and all you wanna do is stay inside and stay cool. Lots of Hospitals in the Scottsdale and Phoenix metro area. From what I have read the economy of Arizona is turning around. Good luck on your decision. I have never been to Plano TX but have family in Texas and the heat and humidity is unbearable to me.

Charlie.

Old 06-07-2013, 01:23 AM

591 posts, read 640,529 times
You forgot to add Boca Raton, Jupiter, Palm Beach Gardens, and Wellington, FL to your list. Lol.

All of those communities are very similar to Henderson, NV; Scottsdale, AZ; and Plano, TX.

Old 06-07-2013, 10:47 AM

483 posts, read 1,073,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdude_Charlie View Post
I will share my thoughts on Scottsdale. Having lived in the city of Tempe, which is just south of Scottsdale, one thing that I would take into account is the heat. You will get that in Henderson, NV as well. The heat really drains you and all you wanna do is stay inside and stay cool. Lots of Hospitals in the Scottsdale and Phoenix metro area. From what I have read the economy of Arizona is turning around. Good luck on your decision. I have never been to Plano TX but have family in Texas and the heat and humidity is unbearable to me.

Charlie.
Dry heat, right? Dry heat does not bother me much at all. Humidity is a whole different animal.

Old 06-07-2013, 10:56 AM

1,376 posts, read 2,519,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countofmc View Post
Dry heat, right? Dry heat does not bother me much at all. Humidity is a whole different animal.
Plano gets pretty humid, and it's no fun to be in that for 4 months of the year.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:06 AM

483 posts, read 1,073,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portlanderinOC View Post
Plano gets pretty humid, and it's no fun to be in that for 4 months of the year.
I was talking about Scottsdale actually. No surprise it gets humid in Texas.

I'm starting to think Scottsdale may be the best of these 3 for me

Old 06-12-2013, 09:28 AM

2,478 posts, read 4,876,089 times
I can't comment on Henderson or Scottsdale, but I have lived in Plano and currently live about 5 minutes from Plano.
The heat, no, it is not a dry heat. It's not as humid as Houston or the gulf area, but triple digits are the norm in July and August. We are currently in the upper 90's. It does not cool down at night like it does in some areas. On days when it hits triple digits, it's still in the upper 90's after midnight. It's one of the primary reasons I'm leaving this area. It's too hot.
Real Estate in the area is pretty good compared to other areas of the US. I hear school taxes or something or unusually high though for Plano. I can't really eloborate and I may be incorrect, as I have never owned a home and have no plans to. Plano is one of the safest cities in the country. They consistently rank high in that regard. There are really no "bad areas" in Plano.
If you live in Plano, depending on your occupation, you'll probably end up working in Dallas or another suburb. As far as things to do, night life, you'll have to travel to Dallas for that type stuff. Not a lot going on in Plano. There are only 2 highways that run through Plano North and South, one is a tollroad. There is only 1 highway running through Plano East and West, it's a tollroad. That will add up over the course of a month. There are side roads that can be used, however, if you have to say commute to Dallas, it would require leaving much much earlier due to all the stop lights on the side roads. And there will be heavy traffic on them as well.

Old 06-13-2013, 02:09 PM

639 posts, read 941,193 times
While housing is much cheaper in Texas than California, one thing that people do tend to complain about is the property taxes in Texas. I'm not sure how much property tax is in Plano, but it's something you should look into. However, Texas has no state income tax which can make up for the high property taxes from what I hear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or