Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 10:10 PM

88,562 posts, read 84,755,078 times

Advertisements

It is wonderful to see these pictures and know that there are still so many beautiful places in this country.

Even here in New Jersey, the most densely populated state in the union, we have forests in our northwest corner and our Pine Barrens in the southern part of the state. Not sure if the Pine Barrens count as forest, but it's a beautiful place to be.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2013, 09:28 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,603,086 times
I love the Northwoods. I've experienced them in both northern Michigan and New England.

Some pics I took in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan:

And a few that I took in New Hampshire:

Old 06-09-2013, 12:43 PM

3,413 posts, read 5,124,973 times
Cleveland, the "Forest City" has some great, diverse forests surrounding it. With all the precipitation we get, and our great soil, the trees grow like weeds.

Old 06-09-2013, 01:25 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,048,640 times
Are you looking for most wooded area in the US.Try any city or town in Georgia , Alabama or Kentucky.

Old 06-09-2013, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It is wonderful to see these pictures and know that there are still so many beautiful places in this country.

Even here in New Jersey, the most densely populated state in the union, we have forests in our northwest corner and our Pine Barrens in the southern part of the state. Not sure if the Pine Barrens count as forest, but it's a beautiful place to be.

Mightyqueen801 where are the last two photos are in the US? It looks sorta swampy .

Old 06-09-2013, 02:31 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,601,833 times
The Big Blowdown of 1999 really affected Northern MN where I live, so although there's lots of beautiful coniferous forest up here much of it is still in recovery.

I actually much prefer deciduous forests. I grew up in the woods of the Hoosier National Forest (Southern IN) and that will always be my ideal environment.

Much of Southeastern Oklahoma is still very thickly forested and unpopulated - the Ouachita National Forest is so very gorgeous.

When people say they are ocean people, or desert people, or city people I always say that I'm a forest person. I can't imagine not being able to escape into the woods.

Old 06-09-2013, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweat209 View Post
Mightyqueen801 where are the last two photos are in the US? It looks sorta swampy .
They were all photos of the area of New Jersey known as the Pine Barrens. Yes, parts of it are swampy (like lots of other parts of NJ).

Pine Barrens Fact Sheet

There's a link on this site at the bottom called "Pine Barrens Wetlands".

Old 06-09-2013, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
They were all photos of the area of New Jersey known as the Pine Barrens. Yes, parts of it are swampy (like lots of other parts of NJ).

Pine Barrens Fact Sheet

There's a link on this site at the bottom called "Pine Barrens Wetlands".

I thought most of the swamps in the US is in Louisiana and Florida.

Old 06-09-2013, 05:30 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,863,854 times
Quote:
Minnesota has a ton of swamps and wetlands up north, just nobody knows about them. Big Bog State Recreation Area, for example, is part of a a huge swap/wetland (Big Bog) that is bigger than the state of Rhode Island.
Big Bog State Recreation Area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Big Bog State Recreation Area, Waskish, MN - Google Maps

Old 06-09-2013, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Well, they are two states with very large areas of swampland, no doubt, but they are not the only places where you find wetlands in the US. Almost all, if not all, of the coastal states must have swampy areas.

Have you not heard of the NJ Meadowlands? (Where the "New York" Giants and Jets play.) That is a large swampy/wetlands area, part of the Hackensack River, which runs parallel and to the east of the Hudson.

As a matter of fact, before it was filled in by development, most of lower Manhattan and parts of Brooklyn and Queens were swamplands. The area where the World Trade Center stood was once really part of the river, and Battery Park was separated from the main part of Manhattan by water.

I think we have to start another thread about swamplands! This one's supposed to be about forests.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 06-09-2013 at 06:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.