U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 07:09 PM

1,235 posts, read 1,426,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stechkin View Post
any more opinion on philly in my scenario?
Stechkin, if you are NOT into cultural amenities, you love "hip hop", and strip clubs. Atlanta would be a great fit for you.

Atlanta_BD (ABD) gave you a lot of strong advice. She is not HATING, as one has suggested. Unlike ABD, I am from suburban Chicago. I now live in Chamblee, Ga, ITP. YES, this place is not cheap! I don't know how it is in New York. However, I'm used to getting a consolidated power bill. One company, one check per month. Nothing doing here in Atlanta. Point is, you are nickle and dimed! It adds up! Nothing against Atlanta. However, it's not cheap here. No doubt, you pay for what you get.

That said, I think that you would enjoy the ATL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2013, 07:31 PM

14,798 posts, read 19,003,355 times
For places with four seasons, that would be the midwest and what comes to mind is Chicago area and Minneapolis area. Chicago is very diverse and Minneapolis is too but not even close to the depths of Chicago. Chicago has its areas that are very segregated, but many other cities in the US are like that. There are also a large handful of fairly well integrated areas. People think of my area downtown as not very diverse, but just on my floor alone where I live, I have a Palestinian, two Indian/Pakistanis, a puerto rican, and myself (since I'm mixed) for neighbors. On other floors, I see people all the time who are Asian, African American/Black, Polish, Arabic, French, English, Indian/Pakistani, etc.

If you don't care about the seasons part, then you may want to look into areas like Atlanta, Houston, Miami, Dallas, Seattle, etc. In the midwest, Milwaukee is not bad either, and if you don't mind a metro of about 1 million, then Madison, WI is nice and within a fairly short drive of both Milwaukee and Chicago and not terribly far from Minneapolis. Chicago and Milwaukee are about 90 miles apart for the record. Milwaukee is quietly a pretty decent city. If you're into skiing too, then there's actually ski areas in northern Illinois and Wisconsin within not a terribly far drive of either Milwaukee or Chicago.

Old 06-11-2013, 09:06 PM

5,991 posts, read 8,311,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
If you're into skiing too, then there's actually ski areas in northern Illinois and Wisconsin within not a terribly far drive of either Milwaukee or Chicago.
The best skiing the in Midwest is in the UP of Michigan, Northern Minnesota and Northern Wisconsin: Mt. Bohemia, Lutsen, and Devil's Head, respectively.

Best Skiing and Snowboarding in the Midwest

Old 06-11-2013, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
The best skiing the in Midwest is in the UP of Michigan, Northern Minnesota and Northern Wisconsin: Mt. Bohemia, Lutsen, and Devil's Head, respectively.

Best Skiing and Snowboarding in the Midwest
Totally. I was just saying within a reasonable drive of Chicago, but that's right. Obviously part of Wisconsin and northern Minnesota for the Minneapolis area. Actually I went skiing in a place about hmm, 60 miles NW of Milwaukee some four months ago. I was actually impressed with some of the hills they had. They aren't mountains (or big ones) but some of the hills were not easy and pretty large.

One of my friends and his wife is a big snowboarder and always go to Colorado or Wyoming to ski, but they are perfectly content with some of the smaller places in Northern Illinois/Wisconsin too within short drive of the Chicago area.

Old 06-11-2013, 10:42 PM

5,991 posts, read 8,311,571 times
The three places I mentioned are akin to parts of the Appalachians, but maybe not quite as big. I'd say Lutsen it about as big, but I was surprised to see its vertical drop at 760' and not over 1000', which is what I thought it was.

Old 06-11-2013, 10:53 PM

^ Lutsen. I grew up in Minnesota. I remember that place well

Old 06-12-2013, 03:53 PM

690 posts, read 807,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSides View Post
Stechkin, if you are NOT into cultural amenities, you love "hip hop", and strip clubs. Atlanta would be a great fit for you.

Atlanta_BD (ABD) gave you a lot of strong advice. She is not HATING, as one has suggested. Unlike ABD, I am from suburban Chicago. I now live in Chamblee, Ga, ITP. YES, this place is not cheap! I don't know how it is in New York. However, I'm used to getting a consolidated power bill. One company, one check per month. Nothing doing here in Atlanta. Point is, you are nickle and dimed! It adds up! Nothing against Atlanta. However, it's not cheap here. No doubt, you pay for what you get.

That said, I think that you would enjoy the ATL!
well, i guess its all relative in regards to being cheap, comparing to ny atl is dirt cheap, and somehow people think salaries are always higher in ny, but that's only true if ur some kinda big shot, otherwise they are similar to everywhere else

Old 06-13-2013, 01:36 PM

anyone made a move from nyc area to chicago?

Old 06-13-2013, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stechkin View Post
anyone made a move from nyc area to chicago?
Well not me, but I will say I have a handful of friends who did.

Old 06-15-2013, 08:51 AM

denver will not work cuz food sux
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or