U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 06:01 PM

189 posts, read 306,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stechkin View Post
What about St Louis?
Personally, I'd pass on Atlanta. I agree with the others that it is overrated, huge, and sprawling. Houston has a very similar feel. Nashville and Austin are better options in the South I think. I think Chicago, Philly, Denver, or maybe Minneapolis would fit your diversity criteria the best.

In regards to St. Louis, it is a bit less ethnically diverse than the other places listed and more segregated. As an Asian guy, I do wish there were more asians in town for dating but I have not felt unwelcome or discriminated against anywhere. The friends I have met here are some of the nicest and most loyal I've had anywhere. If you're willing to go against the statistics a little, we'd be happy to have you move here and add a little more diversity to this midwestern city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2013, 06:11 PM

690 posts, read 809,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanHamez View Post
Personally, I'd pass on Atlanta. I agree with the others that it is overrated, huge, and sprawling. Houston has a very similar feel. Nashville and Austin are better options in the South I think. I think Chicago, Philly, Denver, or maybe Minneapolis would fit your diversity criteria the best.

In regards to St. Louis, it is a bit less ethnically diverse than the other places listed and more segregated. As an Asian guy, I do wish there were more asians in town for dating but I have not felt unwelcome or discriminated against anywhere. The friends I have met here are some of the nicest and most loyal I've had anywhere. If you're willing to go against the statistics a little, we'd be happy to have you move here and add a little more diversity to this midwestern city.
i feel like denver might be too laid back/boring for me tho, minneapolis seems kinda low key too, but i dont know much about it, except that its cold
how is nightlife in st louis?

Old 06-05-2013, 06:22 PM

i guess a few important things to add: i dont like mass transit and prefer to use my car when possible so i like newer, garden apts with their own parking and laundry in unit so perhaps i would need to look at suburbs of whichever city i end up in

Old 06-05-2013, 06:51 PM

btw, atl is cheaper than philly, i dont see any good apts below 1k/month in philly, but i do in atl

Old 06-06-2013, 03:46 AM

any more input

Old 06-06-2013, 07:37 AM

537 posts, read 1,713,337 times
Quote:
i guess a few important things to add: i dont like mass transit and prefer to use my car when possible so i like newer, garden apts with their own parking and laundry in unit so perhaps i would need to look at suburbs of whichever city i end up in

Well yeah then I guess Atlanta is your choice.

You can definitely find decent apartments for under $1,000 a month in Philly, but if you want to drive everywhere............yeah, go with ATL. They have a mass transit system but nobody uses it

Old 06-06-2013, 08:07 AM

5,991 posts, read 8,329,578 times
Quote:
I guess Denver is not very diverse?
I'd think Denver qualifies.....it's not super cheap but it's fairly diverse and fairly inexpensive, and has 4 very true seasons (no "fluffy" four seasons like winters in TX or summers in the WA coast).

Old 06-06-2013, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Well, based on statistics (and taking out the cities initially suggested in my first reply):

Racial diversity:

Denver
(big gap)
Minneapolis/St. Paul
St. Louis
Columbus

Ethnic diversity:

Minneapolis/St. Paul
(big gap)
Denver
Columbus
(big gap)
St. Louis

Integration:

Denver
Minneapolis/St. Paul
Columbus
(big gap)
St. Louis

Chicago would trup them all (except integration as its super segregated) with diversity.
You think Denver is more integrated than Minneapolis? Hmmm.....I'm not sure, it's hard to say. I'm also not sure Denver is WAY more racially diverse than the other cities, but I realize the Hispanic population is 20%-25% alone, which is a fairly big chunk. But what is more "diverse": 25% Hispanic, 5% Black, 5% Asian, 65% white; or 10% Hispanic, 12% Black, 8% Asian, 70% white?

Old 06-06-2013, 08:14 AM

Quote:
no, not really
i mean i like philly's location, especially that its close to the shore, and its got nicer topography, i dont really care about it being close to other cities, as i dont dont plan on visiting nyc or dc, while chicago seems like a better, well rounded city and there is a lake, ocean is better tho
atl is good cuz its cheap and no snow, which i dont care about per say, but driving in snow is hard, its hot and humid tho, which i dont like so all of them have pluses/minuses, as usual
the only thing that might set philly and chicago apart that they are northern so it might be less of a culture shock, as opposed to georgia, but i know many people moved from nyc to atl and seem fine, at the same time
I'd bet you can and would do more with Chicago's lake than you would with Philly's ocean....I could be wrong though.

Old 06-06-2013, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AQUEMINI331 View Post
Well yeah then I guess Atlanta is your choice.

You can definitely find decent apartments for under $1,000 a month in Philly, but if you want to drive everywhere............yeah, go with ATL. They have a mass transit system but nobody uses it
it seems that on the south jersey side u can find newer apts like this, but not so much on the pa side
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or