U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 09:48 AM

12,521 posts, read 23,111,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stechkin View Post
I live in the NYC metro area and looking to relocate for cheaper COL and less hectic living. My main focus right now is ATL, and it seems like a good fit, but I wanna have more options to choose from plus it slightly bothers me that ATL is in the deep south and could be a big adjustment. I'm looking for diverse, cheaper cities, metros 2 million+ that are on the come up with decent economy and 4 seasons. I like a good nightlife, in particular hip hop clubs and events. Cities in the Midwest come to mind, but I am not too sure where to look.
Atlanta or Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 09:52 AM

690 posts, read 808,482 times
is atl kinda like miami in a sense that its in the south, but not too southern or not?

Old 06-06-2013, 09:55 AM

Quote:
is atl kinda like miami in a sense that its in the south, but not too southern or not?
You can't compare Atlanta to Miami they are totally different cities.

Now Atlanta to Tallahassee would be a much better comparison, culturally speaking.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
You can't compare Atlanta to Miami they are totally different cities.

Now Atlanta to Tallahassee would be a much better comparison, culturally speaking.
so how strong is the southern culture in atl? is it a big culture shock to someone from the NE?

Old 06-06-2013, 10:58 AM

1,558 posts, read 2,395,131 times
The culture shock in Atlanta wouldn't be too bad. It is still a very big city, with lots of transplants so it's not overbearingly southern. Dallas, Houston, Minneapolis, Denver perhaps. Also Nashville might fit the OP's criteria also Indianpolis. Austin would except it isnt cheap and is not very diverse, but it is a very pretty city.

Old 06-06-2013, 11:05 AM

interestingly atl has the highest global city rank from all these, alpha-

Old 06-06-2013, 01:46 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,879,175 times
Quote:
so how strong is the southern culture in atl? is it a big culture shock to someone from the NE?
I live in NYC and I've been ATL a few times. The culture shock is not as big as you think, especially since you're already used to driving. There are so many transplants from the Northeast now that you are more likely to run into somebody on the streets of ATL that's from Philly, New York, or Newark than an actual Atlanta native. The biggest differences I notice between NYC and ATL is obviously the southern accent of some of the locals, the food (breakfast diners and chicken/BBQ joints are a staple in ATL vs. NY pizza and chinese food), how spread out everything is, and the fact that people refer to license plates as "tags" and police officers as "sherrifs". Sounds like ATL is the best bet for you.

Old 06-06-2013, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorofnyc View Post
I live in NYC and I've been ATL a few times. The culture shock is not as big as you think, especially since you're already used to driving. There are so many transplants from the Northeast now that you are more likely to run into somebody on the streets of ATL that's from Philly, New York, or Newark than an actual Atlanta native. The biggest differences I notice between NYC and ATL is obviously the southern accent of some of the locals, the food (breakfast diners and chicken/BBQ joints are a staple in ATL vs. NY pizza and chinese food), how spread out everything is, and the fact that people refer to license plates as "tags" and police officers as "sherrifs". Sounds like ATL is the best bet for you.
ok, cool
i used to live on the west coast so sprawl doesn't bother me at all, just the southern aspect

Old 06-06-2013, 04:05 PM

Quote:
interestingly atl has the highest global city rank from all these, alpha-
Its because of its airport which is one of the busiest in the world.

Atlanta is still no match for Houston's diversity & culture. There are far more Fortune 500 companies & consulates located in Houston than Atlanta.

Old 06-06-2013, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Its because of its airport which is one of the busiest in the world.

Atlanta is still no match for Houston's diversity & culture. There are far more Fortune 500 companies & consulates located in Houston than Atlanta.
thats cool, but i dont like the climate and the landscape there plus atl seems more progressive
and i doubt that the airport alone causes these ratings
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or