U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 08:53 PM

690 posts, read 809,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
It's not about my standards, that's just what the rent is here. I would never pay that much for a one bedroom apt in Atlanta because this place isn't worth it to me when I know I could live in Chicago for that price and I am shocked when I see rents that high here, again, because this place isn't worth it.

I'm not trying to debate with you. I actually live in Atlanta, I know what it's like to live here, how the job market is, and I have watched the rents go up and up; and its getting less cheap to live here, especially for what the jobs pay. Georgia's economy is still lagging behind in terms of recovery and it has been predicted that the jobs lost during the recession in Georgia will not be fully recovered for at least ten years. I have known many blacks with degrees and experience who have moved here ended up homeless for the inability to find or keep jobs in Atlanta (you could be hired and laid off very quickly here. This is also a right to work state and an employer can fired you for no reason at all). It's also common for people to get transferred here and get laid off very shortly thereafter.

But do whatever you choose. You asked for advice and as someone who has lived in both places and currently lives in Atlanta, I have given you the best information I can.

Good luck with where ever you choose to move.
ok well how about these places then GORGEOUS CONDO FOR RENT.
Spacious 1BR,Upper Level, Vaulted Ceilings,Huge Laundry RM with W/D!
Hot! Hot! Hot! Just $849 for Largest 1BR Inside the Perimeter! 1 Left!
doesnt look like its in the hood and way less than $1100
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 03:39 AM

3,336 posts, read 4,005,550 times
What is your educational background and career experience?

Old 06-10-2013, 06:38 AM

10,827 posts, read 9,457,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stechkin View Post
yea, for sure
im considering chicago too now, as the summer heat/humidity bothers me much more than cold/snow and seems like chicago's heat is not as long
Because of its altitude (Atlanta is second highest big city in America, after Denver), the temps, in particular nightly lows, are less than elsewhere. I think you'd find the summer in Atlanta milder than in NYC, it would just last longer. For instance, spring would come earlier, in March, instead of April in NYC.

Old 06-10-2013, 06:46 AM

Quote:
that's true, but the thing about it is, i dont know if im gon use all these amenities anyway because i dont even use them in nyc
the only things i like are hip hop nightclubs, strip clubs and concerts, i dont go to bars or too many restaurants or museums
Atlanta has one of the biggest/best strip clubs in the US. I think from what you're saying you'd probably be better off in Atlanta. You only live once dude.

Also, you can acclimate to the heat over time. But driving in the snow is always harder than not driving in it. You don't have to shovel heat and humidity.

Old 06-10-2013, 06:49 AM

Quote:
its important to me because i lived in the pacific nw, which is also grey and always had SAD
chicago doesnt look as cloudy
Because of lake effect snow, Cleveland is extremely cloudy in the winter. That, combined with wind and harsh temperatures, means that the OP with SAD is probably not going to enjoy it.

Chicago is not much better in that respect. I'd go south to Atlanta instead, you'd get a far greater amount of sun hours there.

Old 06-10-2013, 07:25 AM

3,336 posts, read 4,005,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Atlanta has one of the biggest/best strip clubs in the US. I think from what you're saying you'd probably be better off in Atlanta. You only live once dude.

Also, you can acclimate to the heat over time. But driving in the snow is always harder than not driving in it. You don't have to shovel heat and humidity.
I agree if he wants strip clubs. They're everywhere here lol. The biggest concern would be finding a job here if he's not in IT or the healthcare field. If you are not networked in here, it is nearly impossible to get a job. And the pay is low.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
What is your educational background and career experience?
in college for now
most likely will end up in some local govt job

Old 06-10-2013, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post

true
easier to turn on ac than to shovel snow
i was thinking about philly also, but atl seems like it would have better entertainment options for me even though i like philly's climate better

Old 06-10-2013, 01:47 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,199,845 times
I believe you are making a great choice.

I live in Sandy Springs and I am a young educated professional. In this area you can find a beautiful 1 bedroom apartment for $1,000. The metro area is beautiful (In contrast to Houston) and definitely not as hot as many other southern metro (Houston, Dallas or Miami). It can get hot and humid sometimes, but we average out more milder days than most other southern metros due to the high altitude here.

There are so many northerners down here and the area is very diverse compared to other metro areas (Minneapolis, Cleveland, Philly). Many people are unaware that this area has more diversity than Philly.

Many people hate on Atlanta because of its success as you can see in this thread. The economy here is on fire right now. Hell, I just received a fourth job offer in 4 months.

Always follow your heart and never let other persuade you. If you come to Atlanta with an open-mind, you will love Atlanta for what it is: A fast growing, dynamic and beautiful city with a lot to do for a fraction of the costs of other large cities.

Old 06-10-2013, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondInfinity View Post
I believe you are making a great choice.

I live in Sandy Springs and I am a young educated professional. In this area you can find a beautiful 1 bedroom apartment for $1,000. The metro area is beautiful (In contrast to Houston) and definitely not as hot as many other southern metro (Houston, Dallas or Miami). It can get hot and humid sometimes, but we average out more milder days than most other southern metros due to the high altitude here.

There are so many northerners down here and the area is very diverse compared to other metro areas (Minneapolis, Cleveland, Philly). Many people are unaware that this area has more diversity than Philly.

Many people hate on Atlanta because of its success as you can see in this thread. The economy here is on fire right now. Hell, I just received a fourth job offer in 4 months.

Always follow your heart and never let other persuade you. If you come to Atlanta with an open-mind, you will love Atlanta for what it is: A fast growing, dynamic and beautiful city with a lot to do for a fraction of the costs of other large cities.
when does it start to get hot in atl? is there any 80+ days in march?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or