Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 11:49 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,252,682 times

Advertisements

First thing I will say is the typical things young people look for in a city like public transportation and safe, walkable, cool neighborhoods are going to be lacking in a city that experiences heavy brain drain.

Second, if you choose the right city, it can be a lot easier to find a job due to lower competition.

I would recommend the following cities: Little Rock, Oklahoma City, Tulsa, Wichita, or Omaha. Those cities are economies that are humming along nicely yet are relatively unpopular for relocating young professionals due to desirability issues i.e. they are not hip. Many educated people who grew up in them end up moving away after college. They also are a fair compromise in terms of quality of life vs the cities of the Rust Belt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 11:58 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,308,869 times
Little Rock is a fine city. It may not be a young professional magnet but it's nowhere near the level of Shreveport or Monroe.

Old 06-06-2013, 12:01 PM

177 posts, read 431,199 times
Cleveland

Old 06-06-2013, 12:04 PM

3,121 posts, read 3,095,938 times
In terms of percentage of residents having at least a four year college education, Omaha is tied 22nd among the top 100 metros . No brain drain going on there!

Old 06-06-2013, 12:05 PM

233 posts, read 455,002 times
May I ask why you would like to move to a city with the largest brain drain? If I had to pick though I would say Detroit.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

Old 06-06-2013, 12:16 PM

93,321 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyraBrian View Post
In terms of percentage of residents having at least a four year college education, Omaha is tied 22nd among the top 100 metros . No brain drain going on there!
Ironically with Rochester NY and Portland OR, with Albany NY right above both of them(and Philadelphia). Here's the list: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...reas.html?_r=0

Old 06-06-2013, 12:39 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,160,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taynxtlvl View Post
Little Rock
Buffalo
Louisville

Would be my top 3

Louisville is not having a brain drain.

Greater Louisville Project > Deep Drivers > QualityOfPlace2012Update

Old 06-06-2013, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Little Rock is a fine city. It may not be a young professional magnet but it's nowhere near the level of Shreveport or Monroe.
Little Rock has a young professional community. When I lived there though, it was very transient with most looking to move elsewhere as soon as they had the opportunity. I am not sure how much its changed now that Alltel is no longer there.

Old 06-06-2013, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHKID View Post
Agreed. Louisville is actually starting to be up and coming as far as becoming a hip place to be.

Old 06-06-2013, 01:57 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,196,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
First thing I will say is the typical things young people look for in a city like public transportation and safe, walkable, cool neighborhoods are going to be lacking in a city that experiences heavy brain drain.

Second, if you choose the right city, it can be a lot easier to find a job due to lower competition.

I would recommend the following cities: Little Rock, Oklahoma City, Tulsa, Wichita, or Omaha. Those cities are economies that are humming along nicely yet are relatively unpopular for relocating young professionals due to desirability issues i.e. they are not hip. Many educated people who grew up in them end up moving away after college. They also are a fair compromise in terms of quality of life vs the cities of the Rust Belt.
I wouldn't put Omaha in that boat. Omaha and Des Moines (about 120 miles east) are basically brain draining the educated people from Iowa and Nebraska - those who don't go to regional hubs like Chicago, Minneapolis, Kansas City.

With such a strong emphasis on education in those states you have a ton of qualified kids who are flocking away from all the small cities/towns/rural areas. It's a huge problem for those Midwestern states. Everyone is leaving hundreds of dying towns aside and moving to the major US cities, or concentrating in areas like Omaha, Lincoln, Des Moines or Iowa City.

I know for Iowa the populations of the Des Moines and Cedar Rapids/Iowa City metro areas alone gain more people than the entire state does as a whole, and it's just increasing. It's bleeding out into the urban areas at the expense of everything else. Since 1970 just the central counties of Des Moines, Cedar Rapids and Iowa City have gained 300,000, while the state as a whole only went up by 250,000.

As far as other Midwestern areas that probably see a lot of brain drain (just a guess):

Rockford, Illinois
Peoria, Illinois
Quad Cities
Waterloo, Iowa
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Kalamazoo, MI?
South Bend?
Toledo?

Last edited by Chicago60614; 06-06-2013 at 02:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.