Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 04:49 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,264,567 times

Advertisements

I'm just curious, because this is the time of the year where you see a hundred posts here on C-D that look something like this:

My wife and I live in Long Island/New England/New Jersey/Ohio/etc. and we just cannot stand this cold weather/high taxes for one more day! We want to move to North Carolina/Tennessee/South Carolina/Georgia/Florida because we want to be somewhere warmer/cheaper. We don't have jobs lined up, but how hard can that be? We don't know a soul down there, so we hope to make good friends with our new neighbors. We are leaving all of our immediate friends and family behind, but we just know we'll love it once we get there and that won't matter. Does anyone know were a couple of non-religious liberals can move in the Southeast where we will be happy and feel right at home? Oh, and where we can be at the beach and the mountains within a couple of hours and find great New York style pizza and a bar to watch the Giants?

I mean, seriously, how many of these folks actually move South and actually end up liking it and staying? I'm really curious, because it seems so obvious to the casual reader that they are moving for all the wrong reasons and haven't begun to think it through, and then you see a smattering of threads like this:

Oh, yeah, North Carolina/South Carolina/Georgia/Tennessee is great if you love having super religious neighbors who keep asking you if you have a church family and are two faced backstabbers the rest of the time, you love huge bugs that bite, you love weather so humid that your eyeballs sweat, and there is a Baptist church on every corner. Get a life, I can't wait to get back to New York/New England/New Jersey/Ohio/etc. where they at least know how to make a decent pizza! Sheesh!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 08:41 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,545,311 times
I wish I could rep you 1297350320 points. When I was still living in NC the Raleigh area was being INUNDATED by people just like those you describe and the NC forum was chock-full of posts that are almost word for word like the one you used an example. It was vomit-worthy.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:25 PM

778 posts, read 993,156 times
Pretty spot on OP.

I know a ton of people where im from (Upstate NY) that move down South for the weather. I love the weather, its my favorite type, but there are too many other things I dont like. Weather isnt enough reason.

I find people that move just for the climate to be extremely shortsighted. There are more factors into the place you want to go than just weather. Culture, politics, people, food, jobs, etc.

A lot of them inevitably move back up North. Its trendy and just really ****ing annoying to see.

Myrtle Beach, Raleigh, Orlando, Miami, Tampa, the list goes on and on and on.

If im going to a warm climate, only place id really pick is California.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:38 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,704,247 times
You should read the forums from Nashville, it's full of transplants who are happy they have moved.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:00 PM

3,345 posts, read 3,064,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
I'm just curious, because this is the time of the year where you see a hundred posts here on C-D that look something like this:

My wife and I live in Long Island/New England/New Jersey/Ohio/etc. and we just cannot stand this cold weather/high taxes for one more day! We want to move to North Carolina/Tennessee/South Carolina/Georgia/Florida because we want to be somewhere warmer/cheaper. We don't have jobs lined up, but how hard can that be? We don't know a soul down there, so we hope to make good friends with our new neighbors. We are leaving all of our immediate friends and family behind, but we just know we'll love it once we get there and that won't matter. Does anyone know were a couple of non-religious liberals can move in the Southeast where we will be happy and feel right at home? Oh, and where we can be at the beach and the mountains within a couple of hours and find great New York style pizza and a bar to watch the Giants?

I mean, seriously, how many of these folks actually move South and actually end up liking it and staying? I'm really curious, because it seems so obvious to the casual reader that they are moving for all the wrong reasons and haven't begun to think it through, and then you see a smattering of threads like this:

Oh, yeah, North Carolina/South Carolina/Georgia/Tennessee is great if you love having super religious neighbors who keep asking you if you have a church family and are two faced backstabbers the rest of the time, you love huge bugs that bite, you love weather so humid that your eyeballs sweat, and there is a Baptist church on every corner. Get a life, I can't wait to get back to New York/New England/New Jersey/Ohio/etc. where they at least know how to make a decent pizza! Sheesh!

Cool story bro.....

For every person who moved South with a closed mind and told themselves they didn't like it (like you and UNinformed below you...... 20 moved with an open mind and loved it

By the way, I have never met any ex Northerner (and I know many) around here in the Houston area, who had over religious neighbors, which you claim you were surrounded by

Way to make yourself look funny making up stories

Old 02-01-2013, 01:39 AM

9,441 posts, read 10,723,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
You should read the forums from Nashville, it's full of transplants who are happy they have moved.

I moved south from the upper midwest and I am happy I did it. I knew what I was doing however, and I knew the state I was moving to very well (TN). I tend to be conservative and religious, and I enjoy southern culture so culture shock was not an issue. In fact I think my values now fit more with my new state then they did where I used to live up north. I found my new state to be exactly what I expected it to be, and mostly what I was looking for. In my opinon you would have to be a bit dim witted to move south or anywhere for that matter and not research the culture, economy and climate of the place you are moving to. The only people I meet around here who are unhappy with living here are usually from the urban northeast. I want to ask them "what did you expect to find here in the south??" How could you move here and not know the south is more conservative, religious and that it can get hot down here? Hearing people say they want to change the way the south is really bothers me too, what right does anyone have to move somewhere and demand it change for them? If you didnt like the way it was before you moved here then WHY did you make that move? I moved down here because I liked it the way it is, and I want it to stay that way. I have no complaints about the south or where I live.

Old 02-01-2013, 02:54 AM

14,173 posts, read 22,614,214 times
There's a third group of people: those who move to the South and ultimately dislike it, but stay anyway because moving back North would require admitting that they were wrong and made a rash decision.

Old 02-01-2013, 06:27 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,264,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post
Cool story bro.....

For every person who moved South with a closed mind and told themselves they didn't like it (like you and UNinformed below you...... 20 moved with an open mind and loved it

By the way, I have never met any ex Northerner (and I know many) around here in the Houston area, who had over religious neighbors, which you claim you were surrounded by

What a strange post...I was stating what I have read in others' posts here on C-D, not my personal experiences. I guess I assumed that that was obvious...

My point was simply that I find it humorous that people move for things like weather patterns and then complain when they find that they moved to "the Bible Belt" and end up having religious neighbors. It was part of the overall point that people moved impulsively for the wrong reasons and then act dismayed when they find that a place is how they would have known it was if they had done any research or thought it through.

Maybe have some coffee and then try again, ok?

Old 02-01-2013, 06:33 AM

281 posts, read 748,220 times
You are saying the south is full of people who moved there from the north. If the city you moved to from the north is now full of Yankees then why is there a culture shock?

Old 02-01-2013, 06:40 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,545,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post
Cool story bro.....

Clearly you did not thoroughly read the original post. Your super tactful personal attack on me was a nice touch though.

The final paragraph was made in jest. As in, that's a hyperbolized example of what many northerners who move south for the wrong reason end up saying after they realize everything isn't exactly like they had wanted/expected. The OP is not describing their own experience, but rather mocking the undeniable trend that is very evident here on city-data...especially if you look back a few years to the early days of the forum.

Nobody is saying that this is a characterization of ALL northerners who move south or even most of them. But one would have to be pretty naive to deny that there is a significant bloc of north to south transplants who the OP described very accurately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.