U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2013, 08:36 AM

4,800 posts, read 10,574,519 times

Advertisements

This interesting map series from North Carolina State U shows a series of maps that illustrate different word usage

22 Maps That Show The Deepest Linguistic Conflicts In America - Business Insider

Some of my favorites:
how do you say mayonnaise?

pa-jah-mas or pa--jam-as?

pee-KAHN pie or PEE-can pie?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 10:43 AM

12,651 posts, read 10,492,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
This interesting map series from North Carolina State U shows a series of maps that illustrate different word usage

22 Maps That Show The Deepest Linguistic Conflicts In America - Business Insider

Some of my favorites:

Everything was accurate for me in the New York metro area. What was interesting was the often strong divide between north and south Jersey - the New York and Philadelphia influenced areas do have pronunciation barriers for such a small state, where everyone can honestly say they are close to both cities no matter where they live within NJ.

Old 06-06-2013, 03:18 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,215,191 times
Pretty accurate lol.

Old 06-09-2013, 01:44 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,648,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post

Some of my favorites:

Where is the list of the words? I don't see it.

Old 06-09-2013, 02:51 PM

9,378 posts, read 9,534,811 times
Interesting that Milwaukee seems to have more in common with Boston than the rest of the Midwest (Bubbler, soda, culler, sneakers, Yard sale, etc.)

Old 06-09-2013, 02:53 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,648,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Interesting that Milwaukee seems to have more in common with Boston than the rest of the Midwest (Bubbler, soda, sneakers, Yard sale, etc.)
I think you have it backwards in the south it is called Yard sale in the north it is called Garage sale or lawn sale.

Old 06-09-2013, 10:47 PM

2,769 posts, read 2,493,488 times
Thanks! Very interesting.

Old 06-10-2013, 12:40 AM

267 posts, read 344,467 times
Some of the things commonly said in CT were not well represented. We call yard sales "tag sales" and sub-style sandwiches "grinders"

Old 06-10-2013, 02:32 AM

494 posts, read 673,127 times
Interesting ones such as Pajamas.. Was in the red zone and now blue.. Never really picked up on it but never really payed attention either. Ofcourse now i will listen for it.
Pop/soda/coke is another. I remember back when hearing some from Philly call it pop vs soda. Pop is most widely used here vs soda back east.

LOL @ Subs vs Hoagies. I just now say that a real sub is made in Philly and called a Hoagie.
WOW.. Never noticed the drinking vs water fountain thing either. I say water fountain naturally.
Sneakers vs tennis shoes is spot on.
The freeway thing i think has been making it's way east. Notice more people in this area using the term.
I am from Philly and never heard sunshower? And lol at AL/MS..
Was in VAB for a few months and never heard anyone call it a brew thru.. They had a nick name for them but that wasn't it.
Instead of Mary they should have used Maryland for a better example of how people say it ( Maryland vs merland, etc ) differently. People in Maryland will understand this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.