U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 08:37 AM

5,368 posts, read 5,162,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Atlanta is more scenic than Houston. But Houston isn't bad. I like the gulf coast plain. Love the feel of it. The northeast side with tall trees isn't bad either. Houston built over its bayous. If they keet those natural wonders, I think Houston would be higher in the scenery department. They are moving back in that direction though.

Chicago winters and Houston summers are exaggerated. Houston is hot, but its not Calcutta. Chicago is cold, but its not Harbin.
Chicago Winters are not exagerated. Lol. They are mind numbingly cold. When I visited for new years 2009 I didn't bring gloves out one might and my hands froze over and cracked in several places. The doctor back home said I was lucky I didn't get gangrene.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 09:14 AM

2,478 posts, read 4,875,333 times
Chicago.
I do not like Atlanta and Houston. I don't like the weather in either of those cities, nor the overall appearance. I have lived in Chicago and can handle the harsh winters over the brutal Atlanta or Houston summer's any day of the week. I can't comment on Houston's night life, but I find Chicago's to be superior to Atlanta's. I also enjoy the eats of Chicago over Atlanta and Houston.

When I lived in Chicago, I did not own a car. Getting around was not a problem. Not sure who said Chicago's public transit sucks, but that is incorrect. It's really good. You can live in Chicago easily without a car. Atlanta or Houston? Not so much.

Old 06-12-2013, 09:20 AM

18,656 posts, read 27,102,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
Chicago Winters are not exagerated. Lol. They are mind numbingly cold. When I visited for new years 2009 I didn't bring gloves out one might and my hands froze over and cracked in several places. The doctor back home said I was lucky I didn't get gangrene.
Like I said. Chicago is cold. But it isn't Harbin or even Minneapolis cold. If you didn't prepare yourself for Chicago winters especially from December-February, that's your fault.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:02 AM

14,798 posts, read 19,050,097 times
Quote:
The public transit in Chicago sucks. Public transit in general is always less convenient than car ownership. Packing groceries for blocks is never preferable to getting into your car and driving to pick them up. More rebuttal to come. I am at work so I can't type it all out now.
Blah blah blah. You have no clue what you're talking about. Just stop.

Chicago has the 2nd best/most extensive public transit (although i'd say it's tied for 2nd with DC for "best"...DC's system is quite nice) behind NYC in the US. There's 8 train lines and 145 stations. 2 lines run 24 hours/day, 5 more run 20-22 hours/day, and the other (which is new and serves one suburb) runs 18 hours per day. The trains also serve four suburbs. There are 140 bus routes all throughout the city with a few BRT lines to be added in the next few years, not to mention $2 billion worth of new generation of rail cars starting delivery in 2016 and millions of dollars were spent on a new sub generation of cars that have been in the circuit for a year now that are very clean and smooth. Over $300 million was also spent on new buses. Two of the train lines also go directly from both airports and bring you straight downtown (25 minutes from/to Midway and 45 minutes to/from O'Hare). They are also currently replacing all the track on the southern branch of the Red Line and then adding about 2-3 more miles of track and more stations. The Green Line is also adding more train stops as is the Yellow Line (the newest line for a few suburbs).

And if that's not enough, there is the Metra commuter rail which has 11 lines and 241 stops throughout the region, including stops in the city of Chicago itself and also Wisconsin (Kenosha). There is also the PACE bus which serves the suburbs and has 213 routes.

The CTA also provides a completely free and public API which allows anybody with the skills to create a web/mobile app. This data will provide you with information such as where a bus is (GPS location), the estimated time of arrivals of trains/buses at each stop in the system, etc.

How is that bad? The system is actually fairly good. It's obvious you will do anything to "hate on Chicago" even if you have no clue what you're talking about which is evident. NYC is far ahead of everyone else in the US, but Chicago comes 2nd and the public transit is extensive.

Last edited by marothisu; 06-12-2013 at 11:12 AM..

Old 06-12-2013, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Like I said. Chicago is cold. But it isn't Harbin or even Minneapolis cold. If you didn't prepare yourself for Chicago winters especially from December-February, that's your fault.
I grew up in Minnesota, though spent a lot of time in Los Angeles too growing up. I also went to college in Iowa. Even the winters in Iowa are worse in Chicago. Colder with more snow. The winters in Minnesota are far worse. My parents got 15 inches of snow on MAY 2nd there this year (very abnormal though). There has been exactly one day in all my years in Chicago here where I thought it was actually REALLY cold as in the stuff I experienced every single winter in Minnesota and Iowa.

Nobody said the winters in Chicago aren't cold, but there are worse parts of the country for winter. The city doesn't get a ton of snow either. In fact, Boston gets slightly more on average per year.

I have friends from Saudi Arabia, Ethiopia, India, Pakistan, Lebanon, Syria, Morocco, Egypt, etc here and they are all used to the cold weather and don't ***** about it.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:16 AM

18,656 posts, read 27,102,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I grew up in Minnesota, though spent a lot of time in Los Angeles too growing up. I also went to college in Iowa. Even the winters in Iowa are worse in Chicago. Colder with more snow. The winters in Minnesota are far worse. My parents got 15 inches of snow on MAY 2nd there this year (very abnormal though). There has been exactly one day in all my years in Chicago here where I thought it was actually REALLY cold as in the stuff I experienced every single winter in Minnesota and Iowa.

Nobody said the winters in Chicago aren't cold, but there are worse parts of the country for winter. The city doesn't get a ton of snow either. In fact, Boston gets slightly more on average per year.

I have friends from Saudi Arabia, Ethiopia, India, Pakistan, Lebanon, Syria, Morocco, Egypt, etc here and they are all used to the cold weather and don't ***** about it.
I'm originally from Texas and I LOVED Chicago winters. Wish it was more snow though. People think Chicago usually gets 20 inch storms when in reality, Chicago gets a bunch of 6-8 inch storms two times a month with a bunch of clippers here and there. On the other side of the lake is where you get the 20 inchers.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:18 AM

36 posts, read 62,321 times
Quote:
Chicago is far far more difficult to survive in than either Atlanta or Houston (both of which are very livable). In terms or amenities, nightlife, cultural venues, etc Chicago has more than the other two simply because it is bigger. But you better be ready to fight tooth and nail for a parking spot when You reach wherever it is you are going in that city. You also better be ready to pack groceries for block and blocks during 0 degree temps. Lol. Yoh should also know that Chicago never really gets that warm, even in the Summer time. It is not uncommon for night temps to fall into the 40s during June and August. When I last visited in 2009 it was mind June and themps never rose above 65 degrees.

I have been to all three cities multiple times. I just can't stand Chicago. Lol. My last visits there were both. In 2009 and my experiences were so terrible that I have no desire to ever even visit that hell hole again.

Houston beats Atlanta on shopping. Both cities are equal when in comes to nightlife. Atlanta beats Houston and Chicago in terms of scenery. Houston is particularly not scenic. There is lots of culture and shopping and nightlife, but he city is hideous. Atlanta is aided in the scenery department by being in north Georgia. Lots of mountains, lakes, forests nearby. Very pretty part of the country.
I would actually like to have a summer time that can at least get to 75 because barely reaching 65 isn't that much of a summer to me. 0 degrees!? Are you serious!? I can barely handle in the 20s lol

Old 06-12-2013, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner016 View Post
I would actually like to have a summer time that can at least get to 75 because barely reaching 65 isn't that much of a summer to me. 0 degrees!? Are you serious!? I can barely handle in the 20s lol
Dude, he's full of ****. It hardly ever gets to 0 and the average temps in the summer are in the 80s. Don't listen to his bull****. What he said is one of the most assinine things I've heard in years. The lowest the lows get on average in the winter are about 18 degrees which would be very early in the morning (like 2am). The highs in the winter are between about 28 and 35 degrees F.

It was 87 degrees here yesterday and it's supposed to be 90 next friday and continue in that range for a long time. Go here and you can see what the actual weather is like in the summer (make sure it's in Fahrenheit...kind of top right corner you can change it if it's not). Each date has the Historical Average at the bottom too.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/chi...weather/348308

InsaneTraveler hates Chicago and he'll do anything to put out misinformation even when people prove him wrong. I can't believe people would actually believe this guy that the summers in Chicago are rarely above 65 and the lows are in the 40s. It's honestly one of the most ****ing asinine things I've heard in years.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
How are you defining "survive"? Chicagoans aren't exactly dropping like flies.

The problem that I have with these types of statements is that they always focus on the worst of Houston, and they NEVER state that many beautiful parts of the city do exist. Tell the whole story and not just part of it.

Houston, TX - Google Maps

Houston isn't the prettiest place in the world, but calling it "hideous" is a gross exaggeration, in my opinion.
Thanks for putting the goggle map links I got to explore Houston a little

Old 06-12-2013, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
1) You don't have to own a car in Chicago. Thousands don't, me included. My life is still normal and sane.

2) Even if you do own a car in Chicago, there is private parking available, and on the street outside of areas such as Lakeview, Lincoln Park

3) It rarely gets to 0 degrees in Chicago in the winter. Every once in awhile it will, but the average low in the winter in Chicago is around 18-24 degrees F.

4) There are many markets and grocery stores around and you can position yourself near one. I have one across the street from me, another one two blocks away, another one 2.5 blocks away, and another one 3 blocks away, not to count a two Walgreens within a block of me too. I actually don't know anybody who lives in a walkable area of the city who is more than 1-2 blocks away from a market.

No offense, but you are not very bright. Not uncommon to fall into the 40s in june and august HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I'm sorry for my rude laughing, but this is possibly one of the most asinine things I have heard in years. IN the 40s as a low in the summer!??!?!?!?!?! Holy CRAP. No, just NO. Not even close to true. Just because you went to Chicago once and it was under average doesn't mean that's how it always is or even normal.

HISTORICAL AVERAGES 1981-2010 at Midway Airport (National Weather Service Climate)
June
High: 79.9
Low: 62.1

July
High: 84.2
Low: 67.5

August
High: 82.1
Low: 66.2

September
High: 75.3
Low: 57.5

Just because you visited a city once, does not mean you are an expert or even close to it. This proves it and you should stop talking while you have the chance. I'm sorry you had under average ****ty weather, but to think that it's normal? LOL. You have to be kidding me.

Here you go. You can look at the Historical Averages on this site too. You can look at every day. I'll start you off in June:
Chicago Month Weather - AccuWeather Forecast for IL 60608

You can see none of the summertime lows historically are in the 40s at all and not even close especially as summer goes on. In fact, the lows of Chicago are 50+, historically, from May 10 - October 4. June 8 is when it's 60+ lows. In fact, the lows are in the upper 60s on average all through July and into mid August.

For your "0 degrees" BS, you can also look on the site above too and see that the average low never dips below about 18 degrees F, which is a pretty far cry from 0.
Thanks for clearing that up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or