U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 05:25 PM

5,368 posts, read 5,156,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner016 View Post
Thanks for clearing that up
He cleared up nothing.

5 Day Weather Forecast for Chicago - weather.com

For all the next five days Chicago is going to get into the low 50s and night and no higher than low 60s at night. The days are going to be in the 70s. 70s isn't bad weather but that sure as heck isn't summer weather. I would still need jeans for that. Summer = shorts and sandals and pool/beach.

When I was in Chicago in June of 2009 is got down into the low 40s for SEVEN straight days. I packed no clothing to prepare me for that. The warmest it got all that week was 65 degrees on one day. Even if my experience was an outlier, it isn't one that I want to gamble on. I can only imagine all of the poor souls in that city begging whatever higher power they worship to bring the sunshine and warmth. Its a shame Chicagoans only get it during July.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 06:03 PM

18,639 posts, read 27,078,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Yeah, it is and it's usually not 6-8 inches unless you're in the burbs. Most of the snowfalls in Chicago average 1-3 inches I'd say. Every once in awhile 4-6. Anything over 6 inches is considered a storm in my experience.
Well I wasn't trying to say Chicago gets 6-8 inch storms everytime. But I was just pointing out that people think Chicago gets 20 inch storms all the time and they should be use to it and I'm like...no. That's not true at all. However, nothing wrong with a 20 inch storm every now and then.

Old 06-12-2013, 08:17 PM

494 posts, read 673,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
Look at your own weather forecast smart one!

https://www.google.com/search?q=weat...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Tomorrow and Friday it is going to get into the LOW 50s (where the hell are you getting 90 degrees from)! You know what that is going to feel like with wind chill?! Probably right around freezing! And Jesus, during the day time it is only going to get into the 60s. I don't know about the op, but I like to put my heavy coats away during the summer time. You better always have one handy with cold weather like that. And it is mid June. lol. Atlanta is expected to by 90 in the day and low 70s at night for the rest of the week. Simply amazing weather.

During my 4 day stay in Chicago for new years 2009 it got down to 9 degrees! You know what that feels like with a windchill?

OP. Always remember too, in Chicago, you have to subtract the official weather reading by about 15 degrees to account for how cold it will feel because of the windchill. That city is so cold you will be miserable.

Nice try WISE ONE.. I think not!

Chicago normals..
National Weather Service Climate

NORMAL high from June 15th till Sept 2nd is 80 or higher. Normal lows are 60+ from June 20th till Sept 3rd.

Also a FYI.. Only have a windchill effect when the temp is 50 or lower with a breeze.

As for winter the coldest average high is 31 and coldest average low is 16..

Exaggerate much?

Might help to learn a little about climo and the weather for that matter.

Yes you do get occasional breaks from the 80+ stuff but usually does not take long for 80+ to return..

FYI.. Last year they had 46 days with temps at or above 90 and a total of 101 days with temps at or above 80..

Last edited by HarryBTL; 06-12-2013 at 08:37 PM..

Old 06-12-2013, 08:27 PM

494 posts, read 673,790 times
Quote:
Yeah, it is and it's usually not 6-8 inches unless you're in the burbs. Most of the snowfalls in Chicago average 1-3 inches I'd say. Every once in awhile 4-6. Anything over 6 inches is considered a storm in my experience.
Spot on..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Don't know why. I'd rather live in an area with over 80 inches a snow per year. Maybe I'll grow out of that. But as of right now. I love that type of weather.
Why i prefer this side of Lake MI and wouldn't mind being a little closer to it ( Kalamazoo/us 131 ) where the averages are around that and or 75-105..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Well I wasn't trying to say Chicago gets 6-8 inch storms everytime. But I was just pointing out that people think Chicago gets 20 inch storms all the time and they should be use to it and I'm like...no. That's not true at all. However, nothing wrong with a 20 inch storm every now and then.

Outside the lake belts most ( E.WI/N.IL/MI/IN )get alot of 1-3/2-4 and or 3-6" inch type events in the winter except in the rare winters like 2010-2011/2008-09/2007-08 when we had a slew of 4-8 and 6-12 type events and ofcourse the ground hog day blizzard ( very rare ) which brought 12-24 to alot of folks. Usually good for one 8-12 a winter and some not.

Old 06-12-2013, 08:48 PM

5,368 posts, read 5,156,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryBTL View Post
Nice try WISE ONE.. I think not!

Chicago normals..
National Weather Service Climate

NORMAL high from June 15th till Sept 2nd is 80 or higher. Normal lows are 60+ from June 20th till Sept 3rd.

Also a FYI.. Only have a windchill effect when the temp is 50 or lower with a breeze.

As for winter the coldest average high is 31 and coldest average low is 16..

Exaggerate much?

Might help to learn a little about climo and the weather for that matter.

Yes you do get occasional breaks from the 80+ stuff but usually does not take long for 80+ to return..

FYI.. Last year they had 46 days with temps at or above 90 and a total of 101 days with temps at or above 80..
You can throw your averages wherever you want. The whole POINT is that Chicago, even in the depths of Summer, gets cold fronts that come through and drop the temperature down to levels that are definitely not Summer-ish. These temperatures would be down right uncomfortable to someone who was not dressed in heavy clothing. And since when did you get the right to set the windchill threshold at 50 degrees? If it is 70 degrees out with a heavy wind I would be extremely cold.

And an average high of 31 during winter time is FREEZING! You realize that number only takes into account the highest temperature recorded during a 24 hour period, right? That means that the day will peak at 31 degrees, but will then fall and fall and fall until you are who knows how low.

Old 06-13-2013, 12:12 AM

6,317 posts, read 6,979,763 times
Runner,

I know you are visiting so you will see for yourself and make a more informed decision. I side a little more with Insane on the weather, as I think his point all along was that Chicago can get brutal. The averages might not be below zero, but I recall a few times where the windchill would be below zero for one to two weeks. I also remember that after those cold spells, when the temps got into the 20s and 30s, I'd walk down the street in a tshirt. You just get used to the cold (or at least I did) that 30 degree weather was HOT!

That said, I don't agree with anything else Insane had to say. Public transit is very extensive in Chicago. Although I must admit I think it's below average...almost always slow or delayed. And he/she clearly dislikes the urban lifestyle. I'm not sure if you have a car in DC or not, but you'd almost certainly want to get one for ATL or HOU. In Chicago you won't need it.

Old 06-13-2013, 05:49 AM

4,268 posts, read 5,488,340 times
Chicago is fine and generally quite enjoyable during the summer. I'll take the Chicago weather over the heat in Houston or Atlanta during the summer. I lived in Texas for a while, including one summer, and I was just miserable. Let's also not forget it isn't even technically summer yet in the Northern hemisphere!

Old 06-13-2013, 08:58 AM

14,798 posts, read 19,032,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Runner,

I know you are visiting so you will see for yourself and make a more informed decision. I side a little more with Insane on the weather, as I think his point all along was that Chicago can get brutal. The averages might not be below zero, but I recall a few times where the windchill would be below zero for one to two weeks. I also remember that after those cold spells, when the temps got into the 20s and 30s, I'd walk down the street in a tshirt. You just get used to the cold (or at least I did) that 30 degree weather was HOT!
Below zero wind chills can definitely happen in the winter, but it's not the norm at all. Sometimes it does not happen at all any winter, and sometimes it's only a few days in reality. If you are not used to it, you may think it's below zero too when it might not be below zero. Yes, it gets cold, but the point is that the average in the winters reach nowhere near 0 degrees F even as a low temperature. The winters are not PLEASANT like they are in the south, but they are quite exaggerated by people who think Chicago has the most extreme weather in the United States in the winter. Not really true. Not a ton snow falls (especially when you compare it to parts of the NE and also Minnesota, North Dakota, etc), but there is definitely accumulation.

The average snowfall per year, 1981-2010 average is 36.4 inches.

For some comparison, here are averages of other cities for the same time period:
Boston = 45.1 inches
Philadelphia = 34 inches
Detroit = 43.8 inches

As far as the summer goes, he is not true in the least bit. Can it happen? Yes, it can happen. But so can snow in Los Angeles, and it has before. It's not normal and it happens once every blue moon, just like once every 40 years you may see a day of a 40 degree low in Chicago in July. If you look at the NOAA site, you can look up extremes and notice in the last 130+ years, this has barely ever happened.

Just because something is possible, doesn't mean it's the norm at all. I live in Chicago, having lived other places. I'm not going to tell people things that aren't true. Obviously there is data out there, that has been referenced numerous times, that shows exactly what I'm talking about.

If you prefer year round warm weather, then obviously the south is better. That's just a no brainer. However, this is not about that. It's about the fact that Chicago is not cold in the summertime at all. It's fairly nice/warm out every day. I mean, I think it's crazy that people would actually believe that residents of the city would go to a beach when it's only 60 out. I mean, come on....The beach isn't even open when its under 65 degrees unless it's a fluke weather day in the summer which almost never happens. For the record, not even everyone prefers *year round* warm weather. My dad is from Los Angeles and actually prefers 4 seasons with snow.

Quote:
That said, I don't agree with anything else Insane had to say. Public transit is very extensive in Chicago. Although I must admit I think it's below average...almost always slow or delayed. And he/she clearly dislikes the urban lifestyle. I'm not sure if you have a car in DC or not, but you'd almost certainly want to get one for ATL or HOU. In Chicago you won't need it.
It depends on when you go and what mode. I ride the rail line every day, and while it can be delayed, it's usually almost right on time. The buses are the things you have to worry about, but in reality that's every city. Roads with traffic lights and other cars always create unpredictability no matter where you are in the world unless it's a BRT. The rail is usually on time though (obviously not always).

I believe last year there were 109 delays in the system. While that is not perfect, when you figure in for 365 days the amount of runs 8 rail lines make even per day, it's really not a big percentage of them.

Last edited by marothisu; 06-13-2013 at 09:16 AM..

Old 06-13-2013, 09:40 AM

5,522 posts, read 12,293,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
You can throw your averages wherever you want. The whole POINT is that Chicago, even in the depths of Summer, gets cold fronts that come through and drop the temperature down to levels that are definitely not Summer-ish. These temperatures would be down right uncomfortable to someone who was not dressed in heavy clothing. And since when did you get the right to set the windchill threshold at 50 degrees? If it is 70 degrees out with a heavy wind I would be extremely cold.

And an average high of 31 during winter time is FREEZING! You realize that number only takes into account the highest temperature recorded during a 24 hour period, right? That means that the day will peak at 31 degrees, but will then fall and fall and fall until you are who knows how low.
I find your posts very funny.

I grew up in Alabama and much prefer the summers in Chicago, even with the occasional "cold" spells compared to the constant oppressive heat of the South. I don't mind the winters, and rather enjoy the snow, actually, so on the whole, I find the weather much, much better up North. If you're used to (and prefer) Florida weather, then obviously Chicago will seem like the north pole.

Old 06-13-2013, 11:31 AM

36 posts, read 62,275 times
Quote:
Here's some Google street maps of Chicago in various areas

* Lakeview, Commercial/Retail - Broadway & Diversey, Chicago, Cook, Illinois 60614 - Google Maps
* Lincoln Park, Commercial/Retail - belden and lincoln chicago, il - Google Maps
* River North, downtownish - hubbard and clark chicago, il - Google Maps
* Gold Coast - rush and walton chicago, il - Google Maps
* Wicker Park - damen and milwaukee chicago, il - Google Maps
* Lincoln Square - Montrose & Damen, Chicago, IL - Google Maps
* Bucktown - Armitage & Damen, Chicago, IL - Google Maps
* Loop (Central Business District) - State & Monroe, Chicago, IL - Google Maps

etc
WOW THANKS! That's amazing I got to look around without being there' it look like something I would enjot
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or