U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 09:21 AM

2,426 posts, read 3,628,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner016 View Post
Thank you for the congratulations and for the info! I was very happy when I seen these cities on the list where I can get jobs but I guess the medical field is always in need of jobs. Maybe I'll try to go to Chicago one week in the winter and see how it is, because the winter isn't my best friend but I can handle it.
Do Chicago one in the summer, once in the winter. They are like almost two different cities in those time periods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2013, 09:32 AM

36 posts, read 62,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUATL View Post
All 3 cities are great. I'm from Atlanta and my wife from Chicago, so I can help a little.

Parks: Atlanta is great for parks and trails to go running. Chicago not so much (At least from my knowledge). Don't know about Houston. Some links for you to read about parks in Chicago and Atlanta:

Cityscapes: How to correct Chicago's open space shortage: 10 ideas that could help city's park-poor neighborhoods away from the lakefront

Atlanta's Walking Trails | USA Today

Chattahoochee River National Recreation Area - Chattahoochee River National Recreation Area

Silver Comet Trail Georgia - Welcome

Shopping: All 3 should be equal.
Nightlife: All 3 have an abundance of options. Atlanta's nightlife is open longer than Chicago's, though. From my wife's mouth, things tend to close earlier in Chicago. Here in Atlanta you can easily find things to do well after midnight.

Professional Sports Teams: Again, its a wash.
Dog Parks: They all have an abundance. Houston's seem to be more equally distributed.
Chicago's are all on the northside. All but two of Atlanta's are above I-20.

Atlanta Dog Parks | Map | ajc.com
Chicago Dog Parks
Houston Dog Park Locations by HDPA

Good Food: Chicago. Hands Down. Travel & Leisure ranks it #5. Houston #24 & Atlanta #27. I believe you would probably concur, because that seems accurate in my book. Chicago has distinct neighborhood with authentic cuisine coming out of each of those neighborhoods.

America's Best Cities for Foodies - Articles | Travel + Leisure

Museums: Again, Chicago gets the nod. In Houston's favor, there is so much within driving distance; the San Antonio are, Austin, New Orleans, Dallas, etc and you'd easily be able to visit their attractions as well. Atlanta is getting better, gotta few opening in the next few years, but still falls short, in my opinion.

Safety: I think it depends on what neighborhood you move to. My brother lives in Houston and complains about home invasions. Chicago has a huge number of murders each year. In fairness, though, most of that is attributed to gang violence. I don't think you're in a gang. Of course, Atlanta has its problems as well.

I can't tell you which neighborhoods to live in in Chicago or Houston.

In Atlanta, I think the best area for you would be the Vinings area. If you look at google maps, you'll see its not far from downtown, is close to dog parks and walking trails, great food and shopping (Cumberland Mall, Lenox Square Mall, Atlantic Station). If its too expensive, look to the nearby community of Smyrna (origin of Silver Comet Trail). Its a decent city. Or even Try Neighboring Marietta.

On the east side of the city, I would look at neighborhoods like Kirkwood & Inman Park (nice transitional areas with diverse populations) or Decatur proper (not unincorporated), which has a wonderful downtown city square with shopping and dining. The International Farmer's Market is located there.

I hope some of this helps!
It more then helped and thanks for the links! The Silver Comet Trail looks very beautiful I wouldn't mind taking a run there or just walking around and just looking. The crime does kind of worry me but I'm not into that kind of stuff so I'm worried but not to worried, because every city has its crime. This Vinings area do young professionals live there or around there? Do you think I would be able to live there making around 66k a year and most likely trying to find a roommate?

Old 06-08-2013, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUATL View Post
Oh, also, as a generalization, I would avoid the southside, below I-20. I live in Fayetteville know, which is a nice area in Fayette County, where a lot of people on the southside want to live, but I grew in the southwest neighborhoods of College Park, East Point, & Union City. Now if you like Ludacris, TI, Outkast, etc., then come on down. Otherwise, it may not be your cup of tea. If it is not, then definitely avoid the Southeast side; places like Pittsburgh, Riverdale, Forest Park, Jonesboro, Morrow, Ellenwood (Some of Ellenwood parts are okay if its in DeKalb County). Basically Avoid Clayton County like the plague.
I do enjoy all 3 of those artist. Is the southside below I-20 where the crime is?

Old 06-08-2013, 09:40 AM

690 posts, read 810,053 times
Quote:
That's what I heard and that Chicago has pretty high taxes itself. Do you think someone could live comfortable off of 66k a year in Chicago? I plan on living in an apartment and most likely trying to find a roommate
if u want regular life without crazy shopping sprees and making it rain in the club, should be more than enough

Old 06-08-2013, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Just want to commend all the posters that have posted so far for keeping the tone of this thread positive.
OP you picked my favorite cities. Like i said, earlier I like all three for different reasons, and I sure that you will find aspects in each that you will love too.

Tell you this though, June to August in Houston is no joke. January to March in Chicago is no joke either.
The humidity in Houston does not bother me because I was raised in a humid climate. The cold in Chicago does not bother me, but the wind does. I really love Chicago for the rest of the year.

Atlantas weather doesnt bother me no matter what month it is.
Yeah I want to think everyone for giving good informational answers! It seems like I'm going to have to stay about a week in each city, because i keep reading good things about all, thanks to yall! I heard about Houston's summers but I think I would be okay if I kept the AC blasting.. right..? That's the same for me it could be cold but okay it's just that the wind makes it worse! The weather in Atlanta does seem like it would be evened out pretty good not to cold in the winter and not extra hot in the summer.

Old 06-08-2013, 09:46 AM

690 posts, read 810,053 times
Quote:
Yeah I want to think everyone for giving good informational answers! It seems like I'm going to have to stay about a week in each city, because i keep reading good things about all, thanks to yall! I heard about Houston's summers but I think I would be okay if I kept the AC blasting.. right..? That's the same for me it could be cold but okay it's just that the wind makes it worse! The weather in Atlanta does seem like it would be evened out pretty good not to cold in the winter and not extra hot in the summer.
houston will be hot/humid like 10 months a yr, someth to keep in mind
atl can get pretty hot too, but is milder and has 4 seasons
chicago gets cold in the winter and hot/humid in the summer, but not as hot, driving in snow is hard and inconvenient, also someth to keep in mind

Old 06-08-2013, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
You should be fine (unless you are like 200k in debt!). I make less than that, have HEAVY student debt, live alone in a one bedroom, and I doing totally fine financially. Can still take vacations in other parts of the country/world, eat out a lot and go out out a lot.
My student loan is not bad compared to some of my friends thanks to scholarships and paying out of pocket when I saved some money up. Sooo by your name and what you just typed you live in Chicago? How do you like it all around. Weather, people , attractions, food? Just anything Chicago

Old 06-08-2013, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
Do Chicago one in the summer, once in the winter. They are like almost two different cities in those time periods.
Yeah I plan on going to Chicago here in a couple weeks. I heard Chicago isn't a city to be reckoned with in the summer; that it's just top notch. I'm really looking forward to visiting.

Old 06-08-2013, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stechkin View Post
if u want regular life without crazy shopping sprees and making it rain in the club, should be more than enough
Lol! No making it rain in the clubs for me but I do love shopping but i'm not the crazy buy everything in the store

Old 06-08-2013, 11:00 AM

10 posts, read 8,708 times
With a salary of 66k you will definitely be able to afford Vinings, with or without a roommate. As for below I-20, yes there is crime. A lot in certain areas. I listed the areas I would avoid. Of course crime is everywhere just less in Vinings than those areas.

As for the SW side where you have College Park and East Point, I mentioned those artists as a way of letting you know what the area is like, so you can judge if that's your cup of tea. Personally, you sound more like a Vikings kind of young lady.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or