U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 12:49 AM

985 posts, read 1,087,106 times

Advertisements

Chicago is the better city overall.

Parks to go running- Chicago
Shopping- Chicago I guess. or maybe Atlanta or Houston. who really cares? most cities have the same stores and most folks don't shop at the high end stores that are typically used in city-data threads to determine the best cities for shopping.
Good nightlife- Atlanta
PROFESSIONAL sports teams (I love basketball and football)- Chicago has the more genuine fans. Houston and Atlanta fans only show up when teams are winning. Astros,Rockets, Hawks, attendance is abysmal when compared to Chicago's teams.

Good food- Chicago
Museums- Chicago
Safeness - Houston

Last edited by marcopolo2000; 06-09-2013 at 01:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2013, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Houston has a ton of water parks which do well on the summer.
no it doesn't

Splashtown is about it

Old 06-09-2013, 02:07 AM

18,509 posts, read 28,169,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo2000 View Post
no it doesn't

Splashtown is about it
There is Shliterbahn, Pirates Bay, Splash Pad, Little Cedars Bayou, Blue Ridge, there is one In Baytown and about 4 others.
Dont give that rolleyes crap.

Old 06-09-2013, 08:19 AM

Quote:
There is Shliterbahn, Pirates Bay, Splash Pad, Little Cedars Bayou, Blue Ridge, there is one In Baytown and about 4 others.
Dont give that rolleyes crap.

LOL

Schliterbahn (which isn't in Houston )and maybe Pirates Bay in Baytown are the only two that can be classified as water parks. Calling the others "water parks" is a gross exaggeration.

Old 06-09-2013, 09:24 AM

18,509 posts, read 28,169,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo2000 View Post
LOL

Schliterbahn (which isn't in Houston )and maybe Pirates Bay in Baytown are the only two that can be classified as water parks. Calling the others "water parks" is a gross exaggeration.
Get off it. Shlitterbahn is in Galveston, thats Houston
And a waterpark is a waterpark

Old 06-09-2013, 11:17 AM

36 posts, read 62,266 times
Quote:
You are welcome. 66k is more than comfortable territory for Houston you won't need a roommate at all, but I have found the transition is easier if you don't do it alone.
Yeah that's what I figured. I would like to find a roommate so I would know at least know one person when I moved.

Old 06-09-2013, 11:29 AM

8,931 posts, read 11,802,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner016 View Post
Wow thanks for all the information! I like how you gave Chicago props too even though you live in Houston . With the job I'm going to have I would be making around 66K a year (I'm in the medical field). Do yo you how high with that salary I could go on rent for an apartment in Houston? I think I might try to find a roommate where ever I decide to move also. I like plays too do the show a lot of them?
That's the Houston spirit.

Going with a roommate, though, I'd avoid Craigslist, if it can be helped.

Old 06-10-2013, 02:28 PM

500 posts, read 680,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
More like 5 months out of the year that Houston is hot and humid. Mid May-early October is when you experience this. Though some years it can end in late September.
I think this is true for most of the south I guess some believe anything above 72 degrees is to warm where as some in the south think below 50 is to cold.

Old 06-10-2013, 03:24 PM

3,330 posts, read 3,996,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner016 View Post
Hi, yall! I just been told that when I finish college that I can get a job in either Houston, Chicago, or Atlanta. I was just wondering if anybody has been to any of these cities if they could tell me which one they like the best or what they like about that city. I plan on visiting Houston and Chicago this summer just to get a fill for the city life; since I was raised in a very small town in Missouri and the tallest thing I've seen is the water tower in my town and some of the skyscrappers in Kansas City, MO... When I move I'll be 22 but i'vs noticed that all these cities have a good young professional population so I'm not worried about that. I don't need to know what area I need to live in since I'm just asking which city do you think is that best to live? I know things I would like to have in the city are
I have only lived in Chicago and Atlanta (I'm a Chicago native currently in Atlanta) and Chicago has Atlanta beat in every category in my opinion. They only thing Atlanta has better is the weather.

Quote:
Parks to go running
I actually had a hard time findings parks to go to when I moved to Georgia. Chicago unlike a Atlanta, every neighborhood has it's own park and you can't beat running down the Chicago's lakefront. Also park facilities in Chicago are free. In metro Atlanta you have to pay to use a public swimming pool and also tennis courts in some parks. You often have to drive to get to a nice park in Atlanta.

Quote:
Shopping
Chicago has much better shopping options and the clothes in Chicago are much more fashionable than you'd get in Atlanta. If I was able to leave Atlanta to go to Chicago to shop twice a year, I would.

Quote:
Good nightlife
Atlanta's nightlife is lame and limited. The folks here seem to love it though.

Quote:
PROFESSIONAL sports teams (I love basketball and football)
Chicago is a huge pro sports city. While Atlantans love their Falcons, Georgians are obsessed with college sports, especially college football. You have folks who are rabid Bulldog fans who never even went to UGA lol.

Quote:
I plan on buying a puppy (So dog parks)
I can't speak for dog parks. Whenever we had dogs in Chicago we walked them in our neighborhoods or neighborhood parks. Parks in Atlanta have dog areas but I'm sure Chicago has plenty.

Quote:
Good food
Chicago completely smashes Atlanta in this category. Atlanta's food is horrible in comparison. The Chinese food in Atlanta is just plain nasty and the pizza just doesn't compare to Chicago style.

Quote:
Museums
Chicago also completely smashes Atlanta in this category. Atlanta's museums are overpriced and their collections and exhibits are lame. Atlanta's High Museum of Art doesn't hold a candle to Chicago's Art Institute. Atlanta's Fernbank Natural History Museum doesn't touch Chicago's Field Museum of Natural History, and Atlanta has nothing like Chicago's Museum of Science and Industry or Planetarium. Atlanta has a huge aquarium but again, it's overpriced and still not as good as Chicago's Shedd Aquarium. Atlanta's High Museum of Art does have great traveling exhibits, but outside of this, it's not worth the admission price.

Quote:
Safeness because I don't have any family in Houston or Chicago and I'm a female.. I'm of mixed race if that matters but I don't think it does (Chicago's about 4hr and 30min from where I'm from and I have family in Atlanta. In Houston I'd be by myself but I'm not to worried)
Atlanta's crime rate is higher than both Chicago's and Houston's. Atlanta has consistently remained on the FBI's 10 most dangerous cities list.

Chicago:

Population: 2,707,120
Crime rate: 54.24 per 1,000 residents

Houston:

Population: 2,145,146
Crime rate: 61.32 per 1,000 residents

Atlanta:

Population: 432,427
Crime rate: 89.46 per 1,000

For Atlanta to have a population so low but a crime rate so high says a lot.

Quote:
ANY TYPE OF ATTRACTIONS!.. Like there's nothing to see where I'm from except deer and cows
Chicago's attractions blow Atlanta's out of the water. Also you can see and experience a lot in Chicago for free. In Atlanta's aren't nearly as nice and you have to pay for everything.

Quote:
Oh yeah is Chicago winters as bad as I hear? I really don't like the cold that's why I was pretty excited to see Houston on the list but I grew up in the Mid-West so I can handle the cold. Do people just over exaggerate Chicago winters?
Atlanta has warmer weather but that's about it. The pollen season here is bad too. Chicago winters are bearable once you get use to it. And there's nothing like Chicago in the summertime!

Old 06-10-2013, 03:41 PM

18,633 posts, read 27,060,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyH View Post
I think this is true for most of the south I guess some believe anything above 72 degrees is to warm where as some in the south think below 50 is to cold.
Yeah but I should probably change that to most years, the heat and humidity ends in late September. One nice front takes the humidity out for good. The air temp may rebound, but they will be pleasant with breeze. Growing up in Centex, I've experienced many early October's with high temps in the upper 60s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or