U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 06:03 PM

3,330 posts, read 3,997,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
And that's fine; every city isn't for everyone.

I'm pretty sure the OP isn't expecting Atlanta (or Houston for that matter) to have every amenity be comparable to Chicago's given historic and current size differences. But it's not as though you were completely objective about Atlanta here.
And my comments bother you because....

Anyway, she asked which city do we think is better. I think Chicago is better, and it is in many areas. That's just a fact. If someone wants to know what people think is "better" I don't think they are looking for objectivity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 06:14 PM

29,946 posts, read 27,396,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
And my comments bother you because....
I didn't say they "bothered" me, but it was pretty easy to pick up on a certain emotion in your post.

Quote:
Anyway, she asked which city do we think is better. I think Chicago is better, and it is in many areas. That's just a fact. If someone wants to know what people think is "better" I don't think they are looking for objectivity.
Ummmm.....yeah.

Old 06-10-2013, 06:47 PM

740 posts, read 1,020,446 times
all of the above, esp Houston.....

Old 06-10-2013, 10:24 PM

8,931 posts, read 11,807,303 times
Quote:
The selection of clothing in Chicago is much better than what you get in Atlanta. The clothes just look better. Clothing stores are stocked based on demographics, so everything isn't the same everywhere. I see people wearing lots of tacky stuff here in Atlanta when out and about.
Well, that's still pretty vague, but if that's how you feel...

As much as I love Chicago, most people I've met from there were anything but fashionable.

Old 06-11-2013, 05:24 AM

2,426 posts, read 3,622,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Well, that's still pretty vague, but if that's how you feel...

As much as I love Chicago, most people I've met from there were anything but fashionable.
Can't the same be said to you?

Old 06-11-2013, 06:07 AM

4,245 posts, read 5,987,606 times
Ive been to Chicago and Atlanta, and..no contest...like Chicago the best.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:57 AM

36 posts, read 62,267 times
Quote:
I have only lived in Chicago and Atlanta (I'm a Chicago native currently in Atlanta) and Chicago has Atlanta beat in every category in my opinion. They only thing Atlanta has better is the weather.

I actually had a hard time findings parks to go to when I moved to Georgia. Chicago unlike a Atlanta, every neighborhood has it's own park and you can't beat running down the Chicago's lakefront. Also park facilities in Chicago are free. In metro Atlanta you have to pay to use a public swimming pool and also tennis courts in some parks. You often have to drive to get to a nice park in Atlanta.

Chicago has much better shopping options and the clothes in Chicago are much more fashionable than you'd get in Atlanta. If I was able to leave Atlanta to go to Chicago to shop twice a year, I would.

Atlanta's nightlife is lame and limited. The folks here seem to love it though.

Chicago is a huge pro sports city. While Atlantans love their Falcons, Georgians are obsessed with college sports, especially college football. You have folks who are rabid Bulldog fans who never even went to UGA lol.

I can't speak for dog parks. Whenever we had dogs in Chicago we walked them in our neighborhoods or neighborhood parks. Parks in Atlanta have dog areas but I'm sure Chicago has plenty.

Chicago completely smashes Atlanta in this category. Atlanta's food is horrible in comparison. The Chinese food in Atlanta is just plain nasty and the pizza just doesn't compare to Chicago style.

Chicago also completely smashes Atlanta in this category. Atlanta's museums are overpriced and their collections and exhibits are lame. Atlanta's High Museum of Art doesn't hold a candle to Chicago's Art Institute. Atlanta's Fernbank Natural History Museum doesn't touch Chicago's Field Museum of Natural History, and Atlanta has nothing like Chicago's Museum of Science and Industry or Planetarium. Atlanta has a huge aquarium but again, it's overpriced and still not as good as Chicago's Shedd Aquarium. Atlanta's High Museum of Art does have great traveling exhibits, but outside of this, it's not worth the admission price.

Atlanta's crime rate is higher than both Chicago's and Houston's. Atlanta has consistently remained on the FBI's 10 most dangerous cities list.

Chicago:

Population: 2,707,120
Crime rate: 54.24 per 1,000 residents

Houston:

Population: 2,145,146
Crime rate: 61.32 per 1,000 residents

Atlanta:

Population: 432,427
Crime rate: 89.46 per 1,000

For Atlanta to have a population so low but a crime rate so high says a lot.

Chicago's attractions blow Atlanta's out of the water. Also you can see and experience a lot in Chicago for free. In Atlanta's aren't nearly as nice and you have to pay for everything.

Atlanta has warmer weather but that's about it. The pollen season here is bad too. Chicago winters are bearable once you get use to it. And there's nothing like Chicago in the summertime!
Thanks for all the info. The more I read it seems like the pick is going to be harder and harder. Do you happen to know where the young professionals stay in Chicago?

Old 06-11-2013, 12:05 PM

23,109 posts, read 35,052,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner016 View Post
Thanks for all the info. The more I read it seems like the pick is going to be harder and harder. Do you happen to know where the young professionals stay in Chicago?
I hope you're not buying into that. Comparing a metro's city limit population is far and away the most disingenuous thing I see in this forum. Its like reading the Weekly World News.

Old 06-11-2013, 12:42 PM

8,931 posts, read 11,807,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
Can't the same be said to you?
Certainly, but I'm not the one who stated Chicago was more fashionable in a matter-of-fact way. He/she seemed to be trying to convince the OP that everything in that post was the certified truth, so I was hoping he would've provided some basis for that statement.

Old 06-11-2013, 12:50 PM

5,368 posts, read 5,155,070 times
Chicago is far far more difficult to survive in than either Atlanta or Houston (both of which are very livable). In terms or amenities, nightlife, cultural venues, etc Chicago has more than the other two simply because it is bigger. But you better be ready to fight tooth and nail for a parking spot when You reach wherever it is you are going in that city. You also better be ready to pack groceries for block and blocks during 0 degree temps. Lol. Yoh should also know that Chicago never really gets that warm, even in the Summer time. It is not uncommon for night temps to fall into the 40s during June and August. When I last visited in 2009 it was mind June and themps never rose above 65 degrees.

I have been to all three cities multiple times. I just can't stand Chicago. Lol. My last visits there were both. In 2009 and my experiences were so terrible that I have no desire to ever even visit that hell hole again.

Houston beats Atlanta on shopping. Both cities are equal when in comes to nightlife. Atlanta beats Houston and Chicago in terms of scenery. Houston is particularly not scenic. There is lots of culture and shopping and nightlife, but he city is hideous. Atlanta is aided in the scenery department by being in north Georgia. Lots of mountains, lakes, forests nearby. Very pretty part of the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or