U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 01:38 PM

8,931 posts, read 11,801,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
Chicago is far far more difficult to survive in than either Atlanta or Houston (both of which are very livable). In terms or amenities, nightlife, cultural venues, etc Chicago has more than the other two simply because it is bigger. But you better be ready to fight tooth and nail for a parking spot when You reach wherever it is you are going in that city. You also better be ready to pack groceries for block and blocks during 0 degree temps. Lol. Yoh should also know that Chicago never really gets that warm, even in the Summer time. It is not uncommon for night temps to fall into the 40s during June and August. When I last visited in 2009 it was mind June and themps never rose above 65 degrees.
I have been to all three cities multiple times. I just can't stand Chicago. Lol. My last visits there were both. In 2009 and my experiences were so terrible that I have no desire to ever even visit that hell hole again.
How are you defining "survive"? Chicagoans aren't exactly dropping like flies.
Quote:
Houston beats Atlanta on shopping. Both cities are equal when in comes to nightlife. Atlanta beats Houston and Chicago in terms of scenery. Houston is particularly not scenic. There is lots of culture and shopping and nightlife, but he city is hideous. Atlanta is aided in the scenery department by being in north Georgia. Lots of mountains, lakes, forests nearby. Very pretty part of the country.
The problem that I have with these types of statements is that they always focus on the worst of Houston, and they NEVER state that many beautiful parts of the city do exist. Tell the whole story and not just part of it.

Houston, TX - Google Maps

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Housto...1vVCF8OFLUDJLA

Houston isn't the prettiest place in the world, but calling it "hideous" is a gross exaggeration, in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2013, 01:51 PM

...and Atlanta has its fair share of ugly

Atlanta, GA - Google Maps

Old 06-11-2013, 02:09 PM

4,138 posts, read 4,160,740 times
Quote:
Chicago is far far more difficult to survive in than either Atlanta or Houston (both of which are very livable). In terms or amenities, nightlife, cultural venues, etc Chicago has more than the other two simply because it is bigger. .
Having lived in both Chicago and Atlanta I don't see how it's any easier to 'survive' in Atlanta than Chicago. That's one of the sillier comments I've read lately.

Old 06-11-2013, 04:52 PM

5,368 posts, read 5,152,116 times
You are grasping at air if you are trying to compare some upscale subs of Houston with downtrodden inner city areas of Atlanta. lol. You know what is probably behind some of those pretty Houston houses you posted pictures of? Probably a power plant or industrial wastezone, or maybe even a random skyscraper like you tend to just come across in that city because of the lack of zoning laws.

Houston is a very desirable place to live for a lot of reasons. The scenery is so so so so so not one of them. lol. The foliage is quite similar to my city (Tampa, Fl), but the city makes absolutely zero effort to integrate any type of natural beauty into its neighborhoods.

Old 06-11-2013, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
Having lived in both Chicago and Atlanta I don't see how it's any easier to 'survive' in Atlanta than Chicago. That's one of the sillier comments I've read lately.
Small things all piled on top of eachother are what makes Chicago so unlivable.

The weather, paying a hundred dollars a month for a parking spot outside your apartment, the taxes, the high rents for tiny apartments, the rude people, the stench because trash gets piled up on the street.

I could name more things, and none of these things exist in Atlanta. Atlanta (along with Houston) has great weather, plenty of parking, low taxes, affordable apartments (that aren't a hundred years old and constantly have things breaking inside them like Chicago does), a very polite populous, and you are more likely to smell whatever tree or flower is in bloom than the piled up trash of your neighbor.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:26 PM

Quote:
You are grasping at air if you are trying to compare some upscale subs of Houston with downtrodden inner city areas of Atlanta. lol.
I wasn't directly comparing each area. I was merely pointing out that they both have their extremes.
Quote:
You know what is probably behind some of those pretty Houston houses you posted pictures of? Probably a power plant or industrial wastezone, or maybe even a random skyscraper like you tend to just come across in that city because of the lack of zoning laws.
Houston is a very desirable place to live for a lot of reasons. The scenery is so so so so so not one of them. lol. The foliage is quite similar to my city (Tampa, Fl), but the city makes absolutely zero effort to integrate any type of natural beauty into its neighborhoods.
For your information, none of those links I posted were of suburban Houston. They were all in the city limits or surrounded by it. A lot of these neighborhoods date back to the first half of the 1900s, and there is plenty of greenery and natural beauty in each. And, no, there isn't a single power plant or industrial wastezone (which are concentrated on the eastern side of town) within the vicinity of either. Just goes to show how much you really DON'T know about Houston, sir. I'm glad you recognize the city's cultural attributes and other ammenities, but that doesn't mean you can spout a bunch of falsehoods about its aesthetics (or lack thereof).

Old 06-11-2013, 09:39 PM

14,798 posts, read 19,013,424 times
Quote:
But you better be ready to fight tooth and nail for a parking spot when You reach wherever it is you are going in that city. You also better be ready to pack groceries for block and blocks during 0 degree temps.
1) You don't have to own a car in Chicago. Thousands don't, me included. My life is still normal and sane.

2) Even if you do own a car in Chicago, there is private parking available, and on the street outside of areas such as Lakeview, Lincoln Park

3) It rarely gets to 0 degrees in Chicago in the winter. Every once in awhile it will, but the average low in the winter in Chicago is around 18-24 degrees F.

4) There are many markets and grocery stores around and you can position yourself near one. I have one across the street from me, another one two blocks away, another one 2.5 blocks away, and another one 3 blocks away, not to count a two Walgreens within a block of me too. I actually don't know anybody who lives in a walkable area of the city who is more than 1-2 blocks away from a market.

Quote:
Lol. Yoh should also know that Chicago never really gets that warm, even in the Summer time. It is not uncommon for night temps to fall into the 40s during June and August. When I last visited in 2009 it was mind June and themps never rose above 65 degrees.
No offense, but you are not very bright. Not uncommon to fall into the 40s in june and august HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I'm sorry for my rude laughing, but this is possibly one of the most asinine things I have heard in years. IN the 40s as a low in the summer!??!?!?!?!?! Holy CRAP. No, just NO. Not even close to true. Just because you went to Chicago once and it was under average doesn't mean that's how it always is or even normal.

HISTORICAL AVERAGES 1981-2010 at Midway Airport (National Weather Service Climate)
June
High: 79.9
Low: 62.1

July
High: 84.2
Low: 67.5

August
High: 82.1
Low: 66.2

September
High: 75.3
Low: 57.5

Just because you visited a city once, does not mean you are an expert or even close to it. This proves it and you should stop talking while you have the chance. I'm sorry you had under average ****ty weather, but to think that it's normal? LOL. You have to be kidding me.

Here you go. You can look at the Historical Averages on this site too. You can look at every day. I'll start you off in June:
Chicago Month Weather - AccuWeather Forecast for IL 60608

You can see none of the summertime lows historically are in the 40s at all and not even close especially as summer goes on. In fact, the lows of Chicago are 50+, historically, from May 10 - October 4. June 8 is when it's 60+ lows. In fact, the lows are in the upper 60s on average all through July and into mid August.

For your "0 degrees" BS, you can also look on the site above too and see that the average low never dips below about 18 degrees F, which is a pretty far cry from 0.

Last edited by marothisu; 06-11-2013 at 09:50 PM..

Old 06-11-2013, 10:18 PM

18,633 posts, read 27,056,837 times
Atlanta is more scenic than Houston. But Houston isn't bad. I like the gulf coast plain. Love the feel of it. The northeast side with tall trees isn't bad either. Houston built over its bayous. If they keet those natural wonders, I think Houston would be higher in the scenery department. They are moving back in that direction though.

Chicago winters and Houston summers are exaggerated. Houston is hot, but its not Calcutta. Chicago is cold, but its not Harbin.

Old 06-11-2013, 10:36 PM

14,798 posts, read 19,013,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Chicago winters and Houston summers are exaggerated. Houston is hot, but its not Calcutta. Chicago is cold, but its not Harbin.
Very true. There's people from all over the world living in both cities too who get used to both climates. It's not like everyone in Chicago is from the midwest and everyone from Houston is from the south.

Old 06-12-2013, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
1) You don't have to own a car in Chicago. Thousands don't, me included. My life is still normal and sane.

2) Even if you do own a car in Chicago, there is private parking available, and on the street outside of areas such as Lakeview, Lincoln Park

3) It rarely gets to 0 degrees in Chicago in the winter. Every once in awhile it will, but the average low in the winter in Chicago is around 18-24 degrees F.

4) There are many markets and grocery stores around and you can position yourself near one. I have one across the street from me, another one two blocks away, another one 2.5 blocks away, and another one 3 blocks away, not to count a two Walgreens within a block of me too. I actually don't know anybody who lives in a walkable area of the city who is more than 1-2 blocks away from a market.

No offense, but you are not very bright. Not uncommon to fall into the 40s in june and august HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I'm sorry for my rude laughing, but this is possibly one of the most asinine things I have heard in years. IN the 40s as a low in the summer!??!?!?!?!?! Holy CRAP. No, just NO. Not even close to true. Just because you went to Chicago once and it was under average doesn't mean that's how it always is or even normal.

HISTORICAL AVERAGES 1981-2010 at Midway Airport (National Weather Service Climate)
June
High: 79.9
Low: 62.1

July
High: 84.2
Low: 67.5

August
High: 82.1
Low: 66.2

September
High: 75.3
Low: 57.5

Just because you visited a city once, does not mean you are an expert or even close to it. This proves it and you should stop talking while you have the chance. I'm sorry you had under average ****ty weather, but to think that it's normal? LOL. You have to be kidding me.

Here you go. You can look at the Historical Averages on this site too. You can look at every day. I'll start you off in June:
Chicago Month Weather - AccuWeather Forecast for IL 60608

You can see none of the summertime lows historically are in the 40s at all and not even close especially as summer goes on. In fact, the lows of Chicago are 50+, historically, from May 10 - October 4. June 8 is when it's 60+ lows. In fact, the lows are in the upper 60s on average all through July and into mid August.

For your "0 degrees" BS, you can also look on the site above too and see that the average low never dips below about 18 degrees F, which is a pretty far cry from 0.
The public transit in Chicago sucks. Public transit in general is always less convenient than car ownership. Packing groceries for blocks is never preferable to getting into your car and driving to pick them up. More rebuttal to come. I am at work so I can't type it all out now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or