Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 01:34 AM

7,775 posts, read 10,152,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
Chicago's bars close at 4am or 5am some at 3am.
Yes, Atlanta closes down at 2am...by law. Same with Houston. I'm not gonna necessarily declare Chicago the winner, like I said it's a push, but as far as latest last call, maybe Chicago wins by a hair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2013, 01:51 AM

494 posts, read 804,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner016 View Post
Can I ask what you didn't like about Houston?
I admit it has a ton going for it ( economy wise ) but that warmth ( insane heat in summer ) brings other problems and thus see hurricanes. See below for more. Can apply it somewhat to Atlanta as well. Granted i don't think they see as many 100+ days?

Quote:
So how were the winters in Chicago? I really don't like the cold that much either; I barely can stand the 4 or 5 months we have of coldness but im used to it.
And i cannot stand 5-6 months of 95-100 with high humidity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Houston only occasionally get below freezing in the winter.
60s are more common
Where as Chicago only occasionally sees 100+ in summer. 80s are more common.

Much easier to bundle up and go for a walk/jog in the cold vs going naked ( which isn't happening in the extreme heat of summer.

While i would love to visit all 3 Chicago would be my top pick. Sorry but relentless 95-105 & high humidity for 4-5 months is a bit too much heat for my liking. Who honestly enjoys going out in that unless you are jumping right into a nice cool pool/body of water? Atleast with the cold you can add some layers of clothing.

Old 06-08-2013, 06:20 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times
I spoke too soon.
And so the mudslinging begins.

Old 06-08-2013, 06:32 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Yes, Atlanta closes down at 2am...by law. Same with Houston. I'm not gonna necessarily declare Chicago the winner, like I said it's a push, but as far as latest last call, maybe Chicago wins by a hair.
I'm pretty sure last call is 2:30 am in the city proper, with the exception of Underground which goes until around 4am at least. Some other surrounding areas also have later last calls.

Old 06-08-2013, 07:36 AM

2,421 posts, read 4,316,030 times
Quote:
Chicago is best 5 in nightlife imo. It comes after NYC, LV and Miami. I think it's crazy to say that Chicago edges out Atlanta by a hair. I would say by a whole lot. You obviously haven't experienced it's night life. I have experienced Atlanta's and Houston's and they are nothing to write home about. Go to Chicago at 2am to Rush and Division, Wrigleyville, Old Town, Wicker Park, or River North and you will see that at the time of the day the streets are packed with people and sometimes livlier than during the day.

Old 06-08-2013, 09:10 AM

36 posts, read 72,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Let me try to focus answers based only on Houston instead of the usual city bashing.

In terms of running Houston has parks and trails. Memorial Park and Hermann Park ate two popular ones. They are highly utilized, occasionally patrolled by cops and ladies often run there solo. There are also many trails and smaller parks that people use for running. Using common sense ( dont run alone after dark, etc) you shoukd be fine.

In terms of shopping The Galleria Mall is the most popular and has everything from the higher end stores to the basics like American Eagle. There are many other shopping areas including three or four Outlet Malls.

The nightlife here is great, but spread out. People change their moods here quickly, so the it spot today will be old news tomorrow. We do cater to a variety of different waljs of life so there is plenty for everyone.

For Sports we have Football, basketball, baseball and Soccer. The Football teams in all three cities have been doing well. Houstons made the playoffs in the last two seasons. Our basketball team is so so. Our baseball team suck and the soccer team is quite excellent.

We do have quite a few dog parks but how they are run depends on where you live. Some will be very clean and orderly others are just a fenced area of grass.

In terms of good food i would personally rank Houston and Chicago in the top five in the country. ATL is no slouch either it would rank at least top 15 in my book.

For Museums, Chicago would be the best. Houston does very well in the art department. The museum of fine art gets all the big travelling exhibits, the museum of natural science is one of the most visited nat sci museums in the us. The museum district as a whole is very popular, so is the theater district.

In terms of safety dont look at city stats, pull up the zip code stats for your area. I have had no run ins in the 15 years i have been here, knock on wood, but i have heard a lot of crap. Be aware of where you live. If your apartment costs $400 bucks I would reccomend you get a big dog. Cheap rent means tougher neighborhoods.

On terms of attractions, you are duscussing three of the top 12 biggest cities in the US. All of them are packed full of.attractions. Houston has a ton of water parks which do well on the summer. I enjoy plays and the Opera.
Wow thanks for all the information! I like how you gave Chicago props too even though you live in Houston . With the job I'm going to have I would be making around 66K a year (I'm in the medical field). Do yo you how high with that salary I could go on rent for an apartment in Houston? I think I might try to find a roommate where ever I decide to move also. I like plays too do the show a lot of them?

Old 06-08-2013, 09:11 AM

Does anybody know if 66K is a good salary for Chicago also? I plan to love in an apartment and get a roommate also if that helps.

Old 06-08-2013, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Congrats!! On graduating, on getting a job, and on having three great cities to choose from.

Parks for running - They all will have this, but in Chicago you probably wouldn't want to run outdoors from Dec - April. Maybe longer depending on your tolerance. On the other hand, running along the lakefront is awesome so it evens out.
Shopping - Doubt you'll be missing anything at any of these cities, but the Mag Mile is a major tourist attraction and might offer up a different kind of experience than what ATL and HOU offer.
Good nightlife - again, all three will have this in abundance. Will depend more on your particular neighborhood.
PROFESSIONAL sports teams (I love basketball and football) - They all have NBA, NFL and MLB teams. Chicago has MLS, NHL and a second MLB team.
I plan on buying a puppy (So dog parks) - shouldnt be a problem.
Good food - probably will depend more on the type of foods you enjoy. Straight up foodie scene goes to Chicago though, it can compete with any culinary scene in the country.
Museums - this goes to Chicago too but HOU and ATL are nothing to sneeze at. Really can't go wrong with all three.
Safety - I think Houston is probably the safest, although again I wouldn't worry too much with all three.
ATTRACTIONS! one last time...they're all awesome.

It gets very cold in Chicago...no exaggeration at all. If you really don't like the cold, then I'd advise you to really think strongly about Chicago. I think it's positives outweigh the weather, especially if you're not thinking about spending the rest of your life there...but still the winter is no joke.
Thank you for the congratulations and for the info! I was very happy when I seen these cities on the list where I can get jobs but I guess the medical field is always in need of jobs. Maybe I'll try to go to Chicago one week in the winter and see how it is, because the winter isn't my best friend but I can handle it.

Old 06-08-2013, 09:20 AM

2,421 posts, read 4,316,030 times
Quote:
Does anybody know if 66K is a good salary for Chicago also? I plan to love in an apartment and get a roommate also if that helps.
You should be fine (unless you are like 200k in debt!). I make less than that, have HEAVY student debt, live alone in a one bedroom, and I doing totally fine financially. Can still take vacations in other parts of the country/world, eat out a lot and go out out a lot.

Old 06-08-2013, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stechkin View Post
IL has very high property taxes
That's what I heard and that Chicago has pretty high taxes itself. Do you think someone could live comfortable off of 66k a year in Chicago? I plan on living in an apartment and most likely trying to find a roommate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.