U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 01:16 PM

36 posts, read 62,329 times

Advertisements

Hi, yall! I just been told that when I finish college that I can get a job in either Houston, Chicago, or Atlanta. I was just wondering if anybody has been to any of these cities if they could tell me which one they like the best or what they like about that city. I plan on visiting Houston and Chicago this summer just to get a fill for the city life; since I was raised in a very small town in Missouri and the tallest thing I've seen is the water tower in my town and some of the skyscrappers in Kansas City, MO... When I move I'll be 22 but i'vs noticed that all these cities have a good young professional population so I'm not worried about that. I don't need to know what area I need to live in since I'm just asking which city do you think is that best to live? I know things I would like to have in the city are

Parks to go running
Shopping
Good nightlife
PROFESSIONAL sports teams (I love basketball and football)
I plan on buying a puppy (So dog parks)
Good food
Museums
Safeness because I don't have any family in Houston or Chicago and I'm a female.. I'm of mixed race if that matters but I don't think it does (Chicago's about 4hr and 30min from where I'm from and I have family in Atlanta. In Houston I'd be by myself but I'm not to worried)
ANY TYPE OF ATTRACTIONS!.. Like there's nothing to see where I'm from except deer and cows

Oh yeah is Chicago winters as bad as I hear? I really don't like the cold that's why I was pretty excited to see Houston on the list but I grew up in the Mid-West so I can handle the cold. Do people just over exaggerate Chicago winters?

Thanks Yall!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2013, 01:31 PM

745 posts, read 913,680 times
Chicago. The other 2 suck.

Old 06-07-2013, 01:44 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,520,800 times
I've only been to Houston, and I don't really care to go back there.
Chicago sounds pretty neat. Atlanta sounds too much like Houston for my tastes.

Old 06-07-2013, 01:45 PM

13,403 posts, read 21,242,085 times
Looking at just the cities by themsleves, Chicago for sure.

If you asked me which I would rather live in, Houston by a long shot. I wouldnt be able to deal with the cold of Chicago again (lived there for two years) and other than walkability and public transit, Houston offers almost as much.

Old 06-07-2013, 01:53 PM

390 posts, read 786,509 times
Well one thing Houston and Atlanta have going for them is cheap housing. And warm weather.

Old 06-07-2013, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by portlanderinOC View Post
I've only been to Houston, and I don't really care to go back there.
Chicago sounds pretty neat. Atlanta sounds too much like Houston for my tastes.
Can I ask what you didn't like about Houston?

Old 06-07-2013, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Looking at just the cities by themsleves, Chicago for sure.

If you asked me which I would rather live in, Houston by a long shot. I wouldnt be able to deal with the cold of Chicago again (lived there for two years) and other than walkability and public transit, Houston offers almost as much.
So how were the winters in Chicago? I really don't like the cold that much either; I barely can stand the 4 or 5 months we have of coldness but im used to it.

Old 06-07-2013, 02:04 PM

18,509 posts, read 28,213,564 times
I like all three for different reasons.

Wouldnt mind leaving in Chicago from june to October and Houston from November to May.

Old 06-07-2013, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tor_Nado View Post
Well one thing Houston and Atlanta have going for them is cheap housing. And warm weather.
Yeah I noticed that the living in Houston was pretty cheap and yes I would enjoy the warm weather when it's supposed to be winter

Old 06-07-2013, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
I like all three for different reasons.

Wouldnt mind leaving in Chicago from june to October and Houston from November to May.
Haaaaa that's how I kind of feel. Chicago looks really beautiful and seems like it would be fun to just walk around in the summer time and I would love to have warm temperatures in the winter time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or