U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 01:31 PM

187 posts, read 477,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
What world class institutions is it missing exactly? Has plenty of world class museums, ballet, symphony, etc... It's just not all concentrated in Downtown LA. LA has just as much to offer as Chicago.
I don't mean to demean L.A.'s cultural organizations, however, their names are never at the top of the list, in any category(sym, bal, museums, etc.), nationally and certainly not internationally. NY's and Chi's are. That's what world class is. City like Kansas City and St. Louis have symphonies, ballets, opera, etc. Just because you have them, doesn't make them world class. I'm talking about institutions like the Chicago Symphony Orchestra, the New York Philharmonic, the Metropolitan Musuem of Art, The Art Institue of Chicago, the Lyric Opera of Chicago, the Metropolitan Opera of New York, just to name a few. These are considered some of the best in the entire world. My point was simlpy that L.A. is not world class culturally, but NY and Chi are world class players in that regard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2008, 02:05 PM

15,470 posts, read 25,429,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeneverywheretwice View Post
I don't mean to demean L.A.'s cultural organizations, however, their names are never at the top of the list, in any category(sym, bal, museums, etc.), nationally and certainly not internationally. NY's and Chi's are. That's what world class is. City like Kansas City and St. Louis have symphonies, ballets, opera, etc. Just because you have them, doesn't make them world class. I'm talking about institutions like the Chicago Symphony Orchestra, the New York Philharmonic, the Metropolitan Musuem of Art, The Art Institue of Chicago, the Lyric Opera of Chicago, the Metropolitan Opera of New York, just to name a few. These are considered some of the best in the entire world. My point was simlpy that L.A. is not world class culturally, but NY and Chi are world class players in that regard.
Well I've never seen those list and can't seem to find any, if you have some I'd like to see them. But either way LA is ranked up there with Chicago as being a world class Global city whether you'd like to admit or not.

GaWC - Inventory of World Cities

Global city - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-09-2008, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Well I've never seen those list and can't seem to find any, if you have some I'd like to see them. But either way LA is ranked up there with Chicago as being a world class Global city whether you'd like to admit or not.

GaWC - Inventory of World Cities

Global city - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I was speaking figuratively when I used the word "lists". However, if you consult anyone who is in the know regarding things cultural, or even people who consider themselves to be students, again figuratively, of all things cultural(and I consider myself to be one), they will confirm what I say to be true. And your right, there is more to being a world class city than cultural institutions, or being major a financial center(NY 2, CHI 5, LA 17 in the world according to Citgy Mayors: World's best financial cities ) . I suppose. LOL Seriously, there are dozens of world class cities all around the world. I'm quite sure D.C., San Fran are included, but even though L.A. is a huge economic engine, it doesn't feel world class to me, although I'm sure it is considered to be. Imho.

Old 07-26-2008, 01:26 PM

142 posts, read 304,934 times
True, crowded is not necessarily livable, but I like all of those cities in the list, except, of course, that they are outrageously expensive cities as well. And NYC, after all, is the least "American" of the American cities. If I had to choose the most emblematically American City of all, it would be Chicago.

Old 07-26-2008, 01:56 PM

2,498 posts, read 10,292,038 times
Los Angeles' museums maare up there in the top 25 in our country though.The California Science Center in LA is the 14th most visited museum in the USA beating Chicago's Museum of Science which is 15th. The Getty Center (Art) in West LA is a beautiful work of architecture in itself and home to art by van Gogh, van Dyck, David, etc... The museum is the 16th most visited in the USA tied with the Chicago Institute of Art.

As you can see, Chicago's museums aren't at the top of the lists either. They are right there with LA.

Old 07-26-2008, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhome View Post
Los Angeles' museums maare up there in the top 25 in our country though.The California Science Center in LA is the 14th most visited museum in the USA beating Chicago's Museum of Science which is 15th. The Getty Center (Art) in West LA is a beautiful work of architecture in itself and home to art by van Gogh, van Dyck, David, etc... The museum is the 16th most visited in the USA tied with the Chicago Institute of Art.

As you can see, Chicago's museums aren't at the top of the lists either. They are right there with LA.
I don't know how culturally sophisticated you are but, attendance is not how the cultural community decides what institutions are the best, or most highly regarded. If, for instance you live in a more densely populated area that can determine attendance. What decides how critically acclaimed a institutions is, or it's standing in the world are things like it's collections and history and academic standing. Wake up, L.A. institutions cannot compete with Chicago institutions when comes to world standing historically, regarding collections, or their academic viability. And the last museum you want to go up against in world standing is the Art Institute, compared to any museum L.A. has to offer. PLEASE! If you don't know this, or argue differently, you haven't done your homework and are surely not a student of things cultural yourself. I'm all for home boosterism but, sometimes you have to deal with reality. If you think I'm wrong do a thread(poll) about top US cities, regarding culture, and see where Chicago ranks and where L.A. ranks. But you won't because those polls, reguardless of facts even, always puts Chicago way above L.A. You know it and I know it, because it's obvious. So save your ridiculous attendance figures and get a grip! LOL!

Old 07-26-2008, 07:00 PM

980 posts, read 2,909,538 times
Let me shed some light on the subject of LA VS. Chicago

Being from Chicago and having been to LA, there is no doubt in my mind that Chicago has better musuems and cultural facilites then LA.

According to Forbes:
#8 is the, Field Museum, Chicago, IL

Also we Have Michigan Avenue, The Lakefront, High Ranking Universites, Alot of Public Transit, and so much more.

Old 07-26-2008, 07:19 PM

980 posts, read 2,909,538 times
Oh and I would Rank like this:

1. New York City
2. Chicago
3. San Fransisco
4. Seattle
5. Boston
6. LA
7. Las Vegas
8. Miami
9. San Diego
10. San Antonio & Milwaukee *tied*

Old 07-26-2008, 07:52 PM

4,382 posts, read 15,326,863 times
1. NY
2. SF
3. Chicago
4. DC
5. Seattle
6. Las Vegas
7. LA
8. Miami
9. Boston
10. Baltimore

Old 07-26-2008, 09:42 PM

371 posts, read 1,010,163 times
NYC Baby
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.