Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 01:06 AM

494 posts, read 800,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
Why are Seattle and Portland Odd choices?
My hunch is they are basing it on the climate which i don't think is wise to do. Even though Portland ( from what i have heard ) is to liberal for my taste i have heard nothing but good about it from people of all walks of life that has either visited or lived there.

The city i reside in currently is probably near the bottom despite all it now has going for it. Takes a long time to shake off a negative reputation which this place had for good reasons. I imagine the same is true in other city's across this country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 01:20 AM

998 posts, read 1,317,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
New Orleans
San Francisco
Austin

No other city gives off "positive" energy. NYC has energy, but a lot is disgruntled or hostile. Boston has energy but they are snotty towards outsiders.

But when you step off the plane into the New Orleans area, you can sense the laid back atmosphere. The same thing is to be had in San Francisco or even Austin.

These are all cities that people want to live in, not have to live in. There is immense pride and people love where they live. You just don't see that many other places.

NOLA and SF,yes but Austin? I just don't feel it at all.

Old 06-10-2013, 07:22 AM

242 posts, read 999,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryBTL View Post
My hunch is they are basing it on the climate which i don't think is wise to do. Even though Portland ( from what i have heard ) is to liberal for my taste i have heard nothing but good about it from people of all walks of life that has either visited or lived there.

The city i reside in currently is probably near the bottom despite all it now has going for it. Takes a long time to shake off a negative reputation which this place had for good reasons. I imagine the same is true in other city's across this country.
HarryBTL you mentioned the city you reside in is probably near the bottom, what city is it?

So far, San Francisco leading as a city that gives off great positive energy, never visited before, seems I need to make my way there.

Last edited by PacificWest; 06-10-2013 at 07:42 AM..

Old 06-10-2013, 07:32 AM

4,243 posts, read 7,140,320 times
San Franscisco (probably tops on my list), Portland Maine, Chicago, Milwaulkee (believe it or not).

Old 06-10-2013, 07:36 AM

23,322 posts, read 43,787,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
Seattle and Portland? Those seem like odd choices.

For me: San Francisco, San Diego, Miami, New Orleans and like someone said, Chicago in the summer
Seattle exudes a wonderful energy. Pike Place Market on a Saturday morning. Alki Beach in the afternoon. Pedestrian bustle in Capitol Hill. Boating on Lake Union. And all the time, Mount Rainier looming in the background.

Old 06-10-2013, 08:19 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,786,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
Seattle and Portland? Those seem like odd choices.

For me: San Francisco, San Diego, Miami, New Orleans and like someone said, Chicago in the summer
Seattle isn't an odd choice, it gave positive energy everyone I visited. The people were upbeat, friendly and alive to me.

Other cities I got that vibe from were Houston, New Orleans, Miami...

Cities that have been mentioned that I go think are odd choices are : LA, Austin, LV.

I got a lot of pretentious attitudes from Austin and LA, and LV most people know is just one street the rest of the area is a while different world.

Old 06-10-2013, 08:40 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,790,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, and Austin.
Seattle and Portland in the summer perhaps. In the winter the people are a bit depressed there.

Old 06-10-2013, 08:42 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,790,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo2000 View Post
NOLA and SF,yes but Austin? I just don't feel it at all.
Everyone in Austin is so proud of their city, there's so much to do, hard to not have fun in this city.

When you step off the plane you just know the city is going places.

Old 06-10-2013, 08:45 AM

10,721 posts, read 23,648,894 times
Hawaii, spirit of Aloha on any island. No where else can compare.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 06-10-2013 at 08:53 AM..

Old 06-10-2013, 08:49 AM

2,556 posts, read 3,598,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
Why are Seattle and Portland Odd choices?

I would agree with Chicagoist123. Seattle and Portland are both great cities, but not the type of cities I would automatically think of as giving off great positive energy (whatever that means), due to weather, the grunge vibe, etc. I will qualify this by saying that Portland and Seattle (IMO), beyond the surface, are both quite hip and vibrant.

As far the the initial question, I think I would say NYC (dynamic/vibrant) and Chicago in Summer, perhaps SF.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.