U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2013, 04:23 AM

17 posts, read 34,356 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

My wife and I are currently living in Europe, but looking to move to the US for a few years.

I am a US citizen and we are open minded to where we will go as we want a new experience in the states for a couple of years until we move back to Europe to start a family.

So my question is, where? Any ideas?

Just to give a background...

- We are both white (speaking only English), in our 20s and university educated.
- Both of our areas of work are quite general and adaptable to most cities.
- We have maybe 30k USD in savings, no debts and will probably be looking to rent.
- Ideally we'd like sun or to be near the water in some way.
- Neither of us have any strong religious beliefs.
- We love to stay busy, see live bands, enjoy parks, eat well...

Some cities keep coming up and we have concerns/thoughts on each.

Bay Area - Too expensive? Is this avoidable?
Austin - The 'hot' area just now but are there jobs there? Is it being overpriced?
Tampa - Apparently very 'backward-thinking' attitude from the local government and some locals? Crime issues?

Any thoughts/comments would be appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Sam
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 05:28 AM

21,289 posts, read 30,603,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outsider25 View Post
Hello All,

Just to give a background...

- We are both white (speaking only English), in our 20s and university educated.
- We have maybe 30k USD in savings, no debts and will probably be looking to rent.

Austin - The 'hot' area just now but are there jobs there? Is it being overpriced?
Tampa - Apparently very 'backward-thinking' attitude from the local government and some locals? Crime issues?

Any thoughts/comments would be appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Sam
Interesting feedback about Tampa/Tampa Bay which unfortunately is one of those "I heard from a friend who's friend said...." comments that make me shudder as a Floridian actually familiar with the area. Very backward thinking as a Blue City/County that solidly votes Democratic....that doesn't happen if you're familiar with the American political process of late. Crime issues? It's the United States where we are proud of our "god-given" right to shoot 'em up minus any governmental interference. Naming a metro area in the Top 50 (the Tampa metro area is #18) without "crime issues" isn't likely. The reality is much of the Tampa Bay area is safe, not "backward" and a nice place to live if one likes being near the coast.

Old 06-10-2013, 05:30 AM

Default ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Interesting feedback about Tampa/Tampa Bay which unfortunately is one of those "I heard from a friend who's friend said...." comments that make me shudder as a Floridian actually familiar with the area. Very backward thinking as a Blue City/County that solidly votes Democratic....that doesn't happen if you're familiar with the American political process of late. Crime issues? It's the United States where we are proud of our "god-given" right to shoot 'em up minus any governmental interference. Naming a metro area in the Top 50 (the Tampa metro area is #18) without "crime issues" isn't likely. The reality is much of the Tampa Bay area is safe, not "backward" and a nice place to live if one likes being near the coast.
Thank you Kyle, the sort of feedback i'm seeking.

Old 06-10-2013, 05:50 AM

57,101 posts, read 81,526,286 times
Given that you didn't mention no snow, I'd mention Ithaca NY and Boulder CO. Both are the 2 most educated metro areas in the US(Boulder #1 and Ithaca is 2nd). Ithaca is on Cayuga Lake in the Finger Lakes Region and Boulder has 4 seasons with plenty of sunshine. Burlington VT on Lake Champlain could work and its proximity to Montreal may be appealing.

In the South, the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill area of NC would be a good choice.

Old 06-10-2013, 06:13 AM

Default ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Given that you didn't mention no snow, I'd mention Ithaca NY and Boulder CO. Both are the 2 most educated metro areas in the US(Boulder #1 and Ithaca is 2nd). Ithaca is on Cayuga Lake in the Finger Lakes Region and Boulder has 4 seasons with plenty of sunshine. Burlington VT on Lake Champlain could work and its proximity to Montreal may be appealing.

In the South, the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill area of NC would be a good choice.
Thank you for your input, something a little different was appreciated.

Old 06-10-2013, 07:37 AM

7,946 posts, read 15,097,369 times
Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, Austin, Boston, Minneapolis, or Denver.

Old 06-10-2013, 12:12 PM

390 posts, read 788,871 times
The Bay Area is certainly expensive...I would recommend somewhere a bit cheaper for someone moving into the US. I lived in Tampa for a couple of years and was not at all impressed, not a good job market, tons of traffic and a dangerous downtown area (would recommend New Tampa or Zephyrhills). Austin's the fastest growing large city in America and while the COL is still relatively low, the massive influx of people moving there is driving up costs quickly.

What about Houston? It seems like it meets all of your criteria.

Old 06-10-2013, 01:23 PM

6,362 posts, read 7,034,854 times
Quote:

Hi Sam, to me all I got out of this is you prefer sun, water and things to do. hehe, there are obviously TONS of places in the US with all of that...from smaller college towns to huge urban cities. Do you want to be surrounded by tons of people or nature? Live in a cramped apartment or a big house with a yard? Drive a car everywhere or don't even want to have one at all? How important to you is price? Nobody wants to spend more money than they have to, but if you're just coming for a few years how important is the quality of the experience vs the cost?? Where are you from and are you wanting to see something totally different?

Anyway, since I don't know more I'll just address your choices.

Quote:

Bay Area - Maybe try Oakland? If that's still too much then just keep searching east of the city?
Austin - Yea, it's growing fast because there are lots of opportunities there. I don't think it's overpriced yet.
Tampa - No, your concerns are definitely overblown. It's a large city and most large cities in the US at least lean liberal. Crime shouldn't be an issue either...there are good and bad areas so you'll just pick up on that quickly. I think St Petersburg could offer something pretty different and special.

Old 06-10-2013, 07:57 PM

910 posts, read 937,524 times
Austin offers many of things in your post and I really like living here. The thing is, you will likely be competing (perhaps in most cases) with the recent UT graduates and the networks they have established. I feel it's a bargain compared to other cities, but expensive compared to the rest of TX with the exception of Dallas and some parts of Houston.

Northern Virginia is another area to consider, specifically Fairfax and Loudoun counties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or