U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 02:56 PM

390 posts, read 785,096 times

Advertisements

I'm not even sure if it exists...I've been to NYC and Boston and their subway systems are always very congested with people pushing, shoving (occasionally yelling) and tempers are high.

In all honesty I'm trying to avoid that like the plague.

Last edited by Tor_Nado; 06-10-2013 at 03:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 03:07 PM

9,033 posts, read 8,751,711 times
Not, repeat NOT, San Francisco. Our Muni "service" is in a chronic case of crisis.

Portland has excellent transport, though I'm not sure it could be described as a "major" city.

Old 06-10-2013, 03:08 PM

390 posts, read 785,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Not, repeat NOT, San Francisco. Our Muni "service" is in a chronic case of crisis.

Portland has excellent transport, though I'm not sure it could be described as a "major" city.

Thanks for your response. Do most people take BART in San Fran, or drive to work?

Old 06-10-2013, 03:13 PM

4,269 posts, read 6,351,433 times
They call it "mass" transit for a reason.

I've never been in a subway in Boston, NYC, Chicago DC that wasn't packed getting to or leaving the central busines districts during rush hour. It's the nature of the beast. But I do wonder if they have the same crush in Atlanta or Miami or LA. I'd suspect that in Sunbelt cities with the driving culture, maybe not as much.

Old 06-10-2013, 03:19 PM

3,723 posts, read 3,881,732 times
Any major city that has a good transit system should have packed cars during rush hour periods.

Old 06-10-2013, 04:04 PM

9,033 posts, read 8,751,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tor_Nado View Post
Thanks for your response. Do most people take BART in San Fran, or drive to work?
BART isn't that useful for trips within San Francisco. Many people in outlying neighborhoods use Muni anyway, some ride bikes, some ride scooters or motorcycles, and a few do drive -- but parking downtown is very expensive.

Old 06-10-2013, 04:09 PM

9,967 posts, read 14,621,434 times
Quote:

Most of Portland's major routes are frequently packed during rush hour or events. I mean, I'm not sure what the OP is looking for, since the places with the best transit systems are often the most used...

Is there a US city with a good heavy rail system but medium ridership numbers? Usually those systems aren't as expansive though, since places that invest in a heavy rail or light rail system but fail to attract riders often limit any expansion...

Old 06-10-2013, 09:21 PM

21,697 posts, read 23,672,920 times
Quote:

The only people who say this is those who do not have to depend upon it. Anyone who is looking for the facts, please do some actual research from information actually obtained from reliable sources that can be found from reports originating in Portland. If it isn't in a chronic case of crisis, it's certainly careening towards it.

Old 06-11-2013, 07:29 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,990 posts, read 41,989,613 times
I found the Philadelphia subway not packed (empty seats were still left) near rush hour. Might have depended on the route, but in general it felt less crowded than Boston let alone New York City.

Old 06-11-2013, 07:39 AM

2,426 posts, read 3,622,698 times
It's interesting, I use a certain strategy. In Chicago during the rush hour the trains get packed. My secret? First train that comes into the station, if it will be jam packed, I don't even get on it. Why? There is one right behind it that has half the people on it and I will just have to wait a minute more.

So I would say using this strategy:
95% of the time in the mornings to work I get a seat and I am comfortable/not crowded.
60% of the time in the evenings to get home, I get a seat and I am comfortable/not crowded.

This is of course also dependent where you get on/get off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or